Another rental car thread

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
I had a couple interesting experiences with Enterprise on my slightly doomed Florida trip that I thought were worth sharing.

@Chrisgoesflying also learned a hard lesson about Hertz: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/that-trip-was-cut-short.136721/#post-3217523. I've had a couple lousy experiences with Hertz so I avoid them if possible, but his takes the cake.

Back to my Enterprise car....I use them as I seem to have better experiences with them and they have a dedicated G.A. service desk that can arrange cars delivered to fbo's. I used to have good luck with their dedicated G.A. website, but it is basically non- functional since covid started.

Anyway, we were stranded in Macon, GA, and the local office wasn't answering the phone. I called the general aviation line and the woman who answered told me they appeared to have a van and were supposed to be open, but weren't answering the phone for her either. She reserved the car for me, and one of the flight school mechanics was kind enough to drive me to the office.

Lesson 1: she quoted me both the G.A. rate and the counter rate. The difference being if the car is delivered to the airport or picked up at their office. The G.A. rate was $30 per day higher. I had always assumed there would be a "delivery fee", but for a longer term rental like this the difference was significant.

I got to the office, and there were three employees, one of which was helping a costumer, and two who were.... not answering the phone. One of them came over (she was very nice), found my reservation, confirmed they had a van and took me out to it. She ran my card... and it was declined. Apparently Citi's fraud department assumed there was no way I got from IL to GA in 3 hours and wanted to spend $900 on a rental car. Here's the maddening part....I got the message from Citi asking if it was fraud and responded "no", but the girl from Enterprise wouldn't re-run the card. She claimed their system wouldn't let them re-run the same card for 24 hours. I had another card, but it's also a citi card, so I called their number and spent 15 minutes trying to explain to an Indian woman that I needed them to not decline the charge I was about to make on my second card. All in all about an hour to actually get the car.

Lesson 2: call the credit card company before long trips because G.A. confuses them.

When it became certain that I was going to have to drive the car home, I called to request a two day extension. No problem they said, someone would call me to confirm. About 30min later the macon branch manager calls (they can use the phone!)...."no problem just use it as long as you need". I explain it will be a one way rental now and asked if he needs to know where I'm going to drop it off...."nah, we'll find it" :lol:

So that settled we proceed to put about ~1600 miles on it over 11 days. Retrieve our car from our hanger, and take the rental over to the terminal, where the airport office is open. Rather than drop the keys in the box, I took them to the counter in hopes I could avoid an extra day's rental charge, as we were about an hour past the pick up time. The guy scans the keys in, finds the rental info, asks if everything was okay, then says "hmmm... let me see if I can apply the U of I rate to this". He does, and it cuts the rate basically in half. $550 for 11 days. Unreal. The only reason I can fathom him doing this is I had my airport AOA badge on still, and the airport is owned by the university, so he must've assumed I was an employee.

Lesson 3: there are corporate rates that are less than half of the counter rate, and 1/3 of the G.A. rate. I need to figure out how to access that.

Last edited:
My first and only experience with Enterprise had them pressuring pressuring pressuring me to pay for the extra fees, coverage for this, coverage for that. Apparently that particular franchise rewarded the employees for gouging customers. Maybe that isn't Enterprise policy and wouldn't happen at other Enterprise locations, but I'll never find out because I'll never ever use Enterprise again.

Had a car reserved for Tuesday as we flew down for the Daytona race. Enterprise was across the street from the fbo. Showed up an hour after they closed. Never thought to call. Wednesday morning show up and find out our reservation was given to the next in line. "I'll put you on the list and might have something tomorrow". Still haven't called. Ended up using Turo.

Also, stopped for fuel in Tennessee, credit card declined. My apologies to the Bonanza running, waiting behind me to use the pump. I'm sure he heard me cursing after the suspected fraud decline.

Last edited:
Lesson 3: there are corporate rates that are less than half of the counter rate, and 1/3 of the G.A. rate. I need to figure out how to access that.

My corporate rate would blow your mind.

Lesson 2: call the credit card company before long trips because G.A. confuses them.

I can’t see that the credit card company being confused by that. I’ve flown all over the world and had my cards accepted thousands of miles away.

Now I have had cards declined for what I think is no apparent reason but the company says that they have algorithms which determine when to decline a charge. It can be maddening.

Also, stopped for fuel in Tennessee, credit card declined. My apologies to the Bonanza running, waiting behind me to use the pump. I'm sure he heard me cursing after the suspected fraud decline.

I used to get my card declined for 100LL. I think it was when gasoline was cheaper and there were tighter limits on fuel purchases. I haven't had that happen in many years, but it was annoying on a fuel stop, to then have to call the credit card company to clear it and then have the card run again.

My first and only experience with Enterprise had them pressuring pressuring pressuring me to pay for the extra fees, coverage for this, coverage for that. Apparently that particular franchise rewarded the employees for gouging customers. Maybe that isn't Enterprise policy and wouldn't happen at other Enterprise locations, but I'll never find out because I'll never ever use Enterprise again.
They all pressure you to take their rip off insurance. Here's one simple trick car rental companies don't want you to know:

Say, "no."

Had a car reserved for Tuesday as we flew down for the Daytona race. Enterprise was across the street from the fbo. Showed up an hour after they closed. Never thought to call. Wednesday morning show up and find out our reservation was given to the next in line. "I'll put you on the list and might have something tomorrow". Still haven't called. Ended up using Turo

I had my first Turo reservation on this trip as the Enterprise rate in Venice was outrageous. I felt bad because the guy had already dropped the car off and I had to cancel. I hope he got the cancelation fee at least.

I can’t see that the credit card company being confused by that. I’ve flown all over the world and had my cards accepted thousands of miles away.

Seems like every long trip I have my card flagged. Usually they send a message and I click "not fraud" and it's no issue. That's why the thing with Enterprise was so irritating. I don't blame the card so much as E not being willing to run the card again. What a bunch of crap that is.

I had a couple interesting experiences with Enterprise on my slightly doomed Florida trip that I thought were worth sharing.

@Chrisgoesflying also learned a hard lesson about Hertz: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/that-trip-was-cut-short.136721/#post-3217523. I've had a couple lousy experiences with Hertz so I avoid them if possible, but his takes the cake.

Back to my Enterprise car....I use them as I seem to have better experiences with them and they have a dedicated G.A. service desk that can arrange cars delivered to fbo's. I used to have good luck with their dedicated G.A. website, but it is basically non- functional since covid started.

Anyway, we were stranded in Macon, GA, and the local office wasn't answering the phone. I called the general aviation line and the woman who answered told me they appeared to have a van and were supposed to be open, but weren't answering the phone for her either. She reserved the car for me, and one of the flight school mechanics was kind enough to drive me to the office.

Lesson 1: she quoted me both the G.A. rate and the counter rate. The difference being if the car is delivered to the airport or picked up at their office. The G.A. rate was $30 per day higher. I had always assumed there would be a "delivery fee", but for a longer term rental like this the difference was significant.

I got to the office, and there were three employees, one of which was helping a costumer, and two who were not answering the phone. One of them came over (she was very nice), found my reservation, confirmed they had a van and took me out to it. She ran my card... and it was declined. Apparently Citi's fraud department assumed there was no way I got from IL to GA in for hours and wanted to spend $900 on a rental car. Here's the maddening part....I got the message from Citi asking if it was fraud and responded "no", but the girl from Enterprise wouldn't re-run the card. She claimed their system wouldn't let them re-run the same card for 24 hours. I had another card, but it's also a citi card, so I called their number and spent 15 minutes trying to explain. To an Indian woman that I needed them to not define the charge I was about to make on my second card. All in all about an hour to actually get the car.

When it became certain that I was going to have to drive the car home, I called to request a two day extension. No problem they said, someone would call me to confirm. About 30min later the macon branch manager calls (they can use the phone!)...."no problem just use it as long as you need". I explain it will be a one way rental now and asked if he needs to know where I'm going to drop it off...."nah, we'll find it" :lol:

So that settled we proceed to put about ~1600 miles on it over 11 days. Retrieve our car from our hanger, and take the rental over to the terminal, where the airport office is open. Rather than drop the keys in the box, I took them to the counter in hopes I could avoid an extra day's rental charge, as we were about an hour past the pick up time. The guy scans the keys in, finds the rental info, asks if everything was okay, then says "hmmm... let me see if I can apply the U of I rate to this". He does, and it cuts the rate basically in half. $550 for 11 days. Unreal. The only reason I can fathom him doing this is I had my airport AOA badge on still, and the airport is owned by the university, so he must've assumed I was an employee.

A few years ago I called Citi and advised them I would be in Canada for a month and making charges there. No joy, the refused all the charges and turned off the card because they thought it was stolen.

Called Citi, “Yes, we have your notification, our fraud department turn it off”.

I was going to fly up to GKT for the day and get a rental car from Enterprise. On their website, they quoted $35.99/day for a compact size car, which I thought was quite the steal, considering how much Uber is. When I called to inquire about delivery to the airport (~3 miles from their location in town) they stated that the rates online are different from the airport’s rates, which include handling fees, and a slightly higher day rate. By the time taxes and such were added, it made more sense to drive.

...Lesson 3: there are corporate rates that are less than half of the counter rate, and 1/3 of the G.A. rate. I need to figure out how to access that.

I've almost never found that to be the case. anytime I ask about a corp discount it's 3 times as much. but maybe that's cause my company sux arse.

Now I have had cards declined for what I think is no apparent reason but the company says that they have algorithms which determine when to decline a charge. It can be maddening.

I agree - I don't get CC fraud declines often but I got one last week when trying to pay for fuel in Mexico. I know this is anthropomorphism but I'm trying to picture the algorithm thinking "OK this guy buys a lot of jet fuel at FBOs all the time so that's normal, and he's been in Mexico for a week - or at least we have been approving someone's charges on his card in Mexico this week - but buying jet fuel in Mexico, NO WAY!!!"

I know. It makes no sense to me either. The charges of mine that have been declined were rarely out of line.

Although I will say that the actual fraudulent charges that get declined are about 100% correct.

I know. It makes no sense to me either. The charges of mine that have been declined were rarely out of line.

Although I will say that the actual fraudulent charges that get declined are about 100% correct.
Unfortunately I’ve never had a fraudulent charge declined by the company's algorithms.

I tried buying shoes at DSW for a friend's wedding and had got declined. Apparently the algorithm didn't think it was me. Can't say I blame them. Same company let's a 260 dollar purchase at a seafood restaurant in Georgia fo through less than a week later. I'm in Illinois. Disputed it. Lost. Took a second round to get reversed. This was peak covid when you couldn't talk to a representative and everything was done via email. Citi card.

My M&T card is very good at blocking fraud. I get an email about once a week for suspicious activity. I email back and the charges are declined.

I wanted to buy gelato gift certificates from the woman in Ottawa who's getting cancelled because she gave money to the truckers. I used my Discover and the charge was blocked. I used by M&T card and it went right through. I got a text from Discover asking whether I made the charge, and I answered yes. If I ever go to Ottawa again I'm going to get a lot of gelato!

They all pressure you to take their rip off insurance. Here's one simple trick car rental companies don't want you to know:

Say, "no."

gee why didn't I realize that. Thanks for that useful helpful information.

only

How many times do you have to say "no"? When you need to say "no" five times, then five times more, etc etc, would that be excessive?

here's something for you to think about... I've rented from a number of companies. Only my experience with Enterprise had that level of pressure. Never again.

One of my favorite stories about rental cars goes back to 2017 or 18. I was flying into IAD and needed to drive to Owens Mills MD for work. The whole east coast had some massive rain storm with loads of flooding and apparently lots of flights were canceled. As a result, everyone rented cars! Whew! Good thing I had a “reservation.” Our flight was delayed but we got to IAD by about 1130p. Btw, loads of fun riding in those big trucks inter-terminal!

I get to the curb outside and wait for the rental shuttle (brand specific) with 2-3 other groups. Here comes the bus… and it drives right by us. Interesting - it didn’t see us. I look further down. It stopped momentarily at the last stop then departed. It’ll be back around! Next time (20 minutes later), same thing - drives right by us and didn’t stop at the next stop down a ways. Maybe we’re in the wrong spot! So I begin walking towards the next shuttle stop. In that time the bus comes back - drives right by me, but luckily stops at the further down stop. I hustle a bit and catch him - door open and everything!

“I can’t let you board”

Ok GFY was my first thought.. I’ve been here an hour… it’s a little after 1a and my first meeting is at 8 am over an hour away. Ok why? “We’re out of cars”… but it’s ok because I had a reservation! Nope.

I proceed to call the rental company who bounce me around a surprising amount of times considering it’s the middle of the night. By about 145a they get the wise idea to transfer me to the local branch at IAD where I get the same story… “we’re out of cars…” “but I have a reservation…”. This goes on for a few minutes when the individual gets tired of dealing with me and puts the manager on. She proceeds to tell me how she’s literally staring at an empty lot and has never experienced anything like this before blah blah. At this point in my most calm serene voice I politely ask what she thinks I should do - given my mission. To this day I’ll never forget what she said next:

“Well, we are out of cars… but we have vans…”

Oh gee.. yes please. Need 4 wheels and an engine! I tell the bus driver and he takes me to the lot. Not a single car in sight but 8 of these bad boys (I take one).
35C3B3CE-82F1-4EAC-A001-01C16D3F4F03.jpeg

Before we were given M’lady’s recent most excellent corporate rate hack for leisure travel, I had good success googling travel forums for “best corporate codes?” with pretty good intel for those that never got challenged for proof of eligibility. But I usually made a back up reservation, just because.

I had a couple recent trips in FL where I've had Enterprise deliver the rental car to the FBO. The Enterprise folks told me they could do that if I had the Enterprise Plus app with a credit card on file (I guess so they're not just dumping off the rental car at the airport and no one picks it up- costing them money). If you do that, I recommend calling the Enterprise branch to ask them to drop it off with the FBO either the day before or right when the branch opens since they need 2 employees to drop off a car and they get busier later in the day. Worked for me but as they say, YMMV...

I agree - I don't get CC fraud declines often but I got one last week when trying to pay for fuel in Mexico. I know this is anthropomorphism but I'm trying to picture the algorithm thinking "OK this guy buys a lot of jet fuel at FBOs all the time so that's normal, and he's been in Mexico for a week - or at least we have been approving someone's charges on his card in Mexico this week - but buying jet fuel in Mexico, NO WAY!!!"

Thats the government trying to crack down on the illegal drug flow! :yikes:

Apparently Citi's fraud department assumed there was no way I got from IL to GA in 3 hours and wanted to spend $900 on a rental car. Here's the maddening part....I got the message from Citi asking if it was fraud and responded "no", but the girl from Enterprise wouldn't re-run the card. She claimed their system wouldn't let them re-run the same card for 24 hours. I had another card, but it's also a citi card, so I called their number and spent 15 minutes trying to explain to an Indian woman that I needed them to not decline the charge I was about to make on my second card. All in all about an hour to actually get the car.
Citi has the worst fraud systems and customer service in the business. I do not recommend anyone depends on a Citi card for travel. I'd suggest you get at least one more issuer in your wallet, preferably three. You never want all your eggs in one basket.

Citi has the worst fraud systems and customer service in the business. I do not recommend anyone depends on a Citi card for travel. I'd suggest you get at least one more issuer in your wallet, preferably three. You never want all your eggs in one basket.
I've had good luck with Citi. If you don't like Citi cards, don't get a Cabelas card.

Seems like every time we get more than a couple hours from home I get flagged, but in the past it's been NBD to straighten it out. It would've been this time too if Enterprise would've just run it again; I don't understand that. I do have another issuer, but it doesn't have nearly as good of a rewards program. I could've given her the debit card too if it came to that.

Ok GFY was my first thought.. I’ve been here an hour… it’s a little after 1a and my first meeting is at 8 am over an hour away. Ok why? “We’re out of cars”… but it’s ok because I had a reservation! Nope.

I had a similar issue once trying to fly back to NYC from Canada during a major snowstorm. All airline flights canceled and all rental agencies out of cars. I ended up renting (and driving) an empty U Haul from Montreal to NYC. Seems no one else thought of that...

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Citi. If you don't like Citi cards, don't get a Cabelas card.
I had a cabelas card for years. Until citi bought them out with the bass pro merger. Closed the account and never went to the store again. I earned enough points on that thing to get a pistol every year with the points balance. Citi blows

No. BOA is the worst. So I keep three options....

I had a cabelas card for years. Until citi bought them out with the bass pro merger. Closed the account and never went to the store again. I earned enough points on that thing to get a pistol every year with the points balance. Citi blows
Sounds like you had their black card like I did. I was charging close to 100k a year on it with business purchases. In spite of that,the Cabelas card often randomly denied charges as suspected fraud. I got tired of that. The Citi card hasn't had that problem for me, and it has a greater rewards.

It's 2022. We are to all be little robots who fly in silver tubes and pick up our rental cars at the baggage carrousel. Anything else is unacceptable.

Sounds like you had their black card like I did. I was charging close to 100k a year on it with business purchases. In spite of that,the Cabelas card often randomly denied charges as suspected fraud. I got tired of that. The Citi card hasn't had that problem for me, and it has a greater rewards.
I did. Never used it after citi purchase. Had one of their cards prior and will never do business with them again.

My corporate rate would blow your mind.

Nokia had the worst that the counter people would take pity on the company. Usually 3x walk up rate.

I got stung by a late fee for a bill they didn’t send since I thought I paid off, but they managed to tack on a few pennies of interest. I took a 20 year break for that crap. I only carry it because of the Costco cash back.

Also they seem to have two fraud departments that refuse to communicate or some related insanity (maybe Citi and Visa each?) Took me an hour sitting outside the pumps in 100 degree Texas heat to push a transaction through, that Chase also blocked.

Back