Another one lost from 52F

Hmmm, dunno 'bout that. The steep parts of the Rockies can't be "hiked"...

Got lots of responses to that... but we have derailed this one enough I think. Not really the appropriate thread to be chatting about hiking.

Maybe I will start a new one :)

Reports vary between 30 minutes and 3 hours. The truth probably lies in there somewhere.

I found this quote from a Texas DPS trooper in a small online newspaper...this information was not carried in other news sources as far as I can tell.

“They were in contact with the Alliance tower (just south of Northwest Regional Airport) and did a weather check,” Phillips said. “They decided to go back to Terrell due to weather, and turned northwest at FM 1651 and 47 near the community of Jackson at 3,000 feet. During the turn they dropped off the radar.

“All communication with the plane was lost at 9:44 a.m., according to reports,” Phillips added.

This is the first indication I have seen giving the circumstances of the final communications with ATC and loss of radar contact.

It also fixes the flight time at :45 to 1:15.

http://themonitor.net/blog2/?s=plane+crash

Edit: Added link

Last edited:
I found this quote from a Texas DPS trooper in a small online newspaper...this information was not carried in other news sources as far as I can tell.

“They were in contact with the Alliance tower (just south of Northwest Regional Airport) and did a weather check,” Phillips said. “They decided to go back to Terrell due to weather, and turned northwest at FM 1651 and 47 near the community of Jackson at 3,000 feet. During the turn they dropped off the radar.

“All communication with the plane was lost at 9:44 a.m., according to reports,” Phillips added.

This is the first indication I have seen giving the circumstances of the final communications with ATC and loss of radar contact.

It also fixes the flight time at :45 to 1:15.

http://themonitor.net/blog2/?s=plane+crash

Edit: Added link

That probably means I have their call to AFW on my LiveATC feed / archive, too...

I'm having trouble understanding why a change in heading would cause the plane to crash absent some other problem such as fuel exhaustion or starvation.

That probably means I have their call to AFW on my LiveATC feed / archive, too...

I'm having trouble understanding why a change in heading would cause the plane to crash absent some other problem such as fuel exhaustion or starvation.

Without casting any judgment on this particular pilot's abilities, seems to me a change in heading in IMC could certainly result in disorientation while distracted with weather/fuel concerns. I don't KNOW that it did, but it seems plausible. Or, it was the just last event prior to whatever happened and the timing is coincidental.

Last edited:

Yeah, that someone 'looses it' in IMC for no good reason has never happened before.

Understood, but I've watched a few K hours of IFR from the IP seat and have never seen anybody crash when making a turn unless something else occurred. Has anybody else seen it happen?

Yeah, that someone 'looses it' in IMC for no good reason has never happened before.

Going back to the earlier discussions, it's my understanding the field didn't have Jet-A, so he may have been making a short IFR hop to get fuel before heading to his ultimate destination.

But that begs the question, if you've spent a few/several hundred thousand on a turbine aircraft, why wouldn't you pop a few grand more for a fuel tank at your home airport? Even short hops down low in kerosene burners get expensive pretty quickly.

Just curious. Definitely a tragic loss.

Every accident is sad. When someone dies its beyond words. I have learned a lot from both reading the official reports, both by NTSB, and by the experts in the field when they dissect out accidents. Likewise, I have learned a lot from the "speculation" on forums like this. If this "speculation" prevents just one accident, or makes just one pilot a better pilot, it's not pointless.

When a pilot dies, or is in an accident, we all feel for them and their family. I do not think the "speculation" that goes on on these forums is meant to be disrespectful. It occurs because we all are trying to learn something and hopefully prevent it from happening to someone else.

I think I speak for all of us when I say we are truly sorry for your loss.

I for one have learned more in forums like this than I have from any instructor or book.

Doug
"

Dang! That was very well put. :yes:

Yeah, me too although they lost me at 25' along the beach even though ATC always had me all the way from Amelia Island to North of Charleston where I finally came out from under the weather on my way to OSH. Then getting home I had a similar dive under the front at Cape Canaveral but that didn't hit F/A at all even though I was on FF the whole trip. Funny flight, I was cleared "Ignore airspace restrictions, the sky is yours, find your best path through. You are the only plane flying in the state" "Roger, 25' just going offshore and see sunshine out the other side with weather all off to the right."

I think we all want to know what the NTSB finds so that none of us end up doing the same thing. It's strange two pilots on board with two teenagers and there were no cell calls or radio communications after the diversion. The plane landed belly down gear up rigged for straight and level. The plane still had fuel in the fuel bowl as well.

So tonight I was looking through some old video I'd shot on my cell phone, and found that I'd filmed N32GP departing 52F back on Saturday March 31, 2012, just six months before the accident flight. I had just finished a flight of my own and was walking out to my truck when I heard the distinctive sound of a turbine... when I saw it was a Bonanza, I had to film it! It was a beautiful bird...

So tonight I was looking through some old video I'd shot on my cell phone, and found that I'd filmed N32GP departing 52F back on Saturday March 31, 2012, just six months before the accident flight. I had just finished a flight of my own and was walking out to my truck when I heard the distinctive sound of a turbine... when I saw it was a Bonanza, I had to film it! It was a beautiful bird...

Note the SUV crossing the runway behind the Bo. Maybe they need to install some sort of railroad crossing arms that would be activated like the airfield lighting with PPT pulses on the CTAF.

Note the SUV crossing the runway behind the Bo. Maybe they need to install some sort of railroad crossing arms that would be activated like the airfield lighting with PPT pulses on the CTAF.

4-inch speed bumps would work with appropriate signage reminding the driver to 1) look up and out for arrivals and 2) avoid driving behind departing aircraft.

Just to throw this in the rate of descent for the aircraft was 1500ft/min. The plane was in flying condition according to preliminary investigation reports. I am only a student pilot and sar officer however going from the data we had prior to being sent no one made an atempt to mayday. I'm guessing carbon monoxide or some other form of being unconcious in a trimmed aircraft and something finally affected the control surfaces to cause a dive under power.

If this is the same crash, the story was related to me by some fellow military guys and pilots. The aircraft we discussed was a well equipped (new panel) F33. However, the pilot only had 200 hours and was not instrument rated. (If this is the same Bonanza fatal in Texas). If so, it was the son in law of one of our coworkers.

This would account for the flight path, time enroute, and ultimate nature of the crash itself.

This incident recalls another incident that had a better outcome. A few years ago I was working on an annual with our mechanics during a violent thunderstorm. There was a torrential downpour, lots of lightning, and ground shaking thunder. In the middle of this we heard a plane fly over- we all looked at each other and ran to the windows- how could it be possible to be flying in this weather?

The engine sounds returned, and a new Bonanza taxied up. The pilot got out, smiling and chipper, and asked where she was. We told her, and she said she had gotten lost, and she hadn't come across the airport she was planning to put it down in a field.

She said she had her instrument and commercial ratings, so I asked why she didn't file IFR, or at least turn around when encountering IMC. No answer except she wanted to get to her destination. Not sure if she was even aware of the line of thunderstorms that spanned six states across her route. She said the plane had a GPS, but she didn't know how to use it.

She then went on to say she was a foot and ankle surgeon at a prominent university. I happen to know a fair number of the faculty at the named university, none of whom she knew. Turns out she was a podiatrist at a local hospital that had loose affiliations with the University practice, but she was not on the faculty.

Regardless, through the whole conversation it was obvious she was clearly completely oblivious to the whole sequence of events. No agitation, relief at surviving, etc. Completely normal in all regards.

After the storm passed we walked her to her plane, and found a big gash in the leading edge of one wing, at least six to eight inches deep. There was a tree branch with leaves still attached embedded in the gash.

We asked her if she knew she hit something, and she said maybe, but she was so low looking for a place to land that she really didnt pay attention.

She then proceeded to climb in, and we tried to stop her, explaining about potential damage to the spar, etc. She then covered the hole with duct tape, and again we pleaded with her to not go. She said she wanted to get where was going, smiled, and proceeded to take off back toward the same line of thunderstorms.

Never heard of any crashes later that day, but I will always recall the sinking feeling when first seeing her wing with the gash. I often wonder if she ever realized how close she came to dying that day.

Back