Another Malaysia 777 Down

jpower

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
James
Not much info so far other than that a Malaysia 777 went down over Ukraine enroute AMS-KUL. It apparently hadn't reached Russian airspace yet. According to Interfax, a Russian non-governmental news agency, it was shot down, but I'm not sure how reliable that information is.

http://avherald.com/h?article=47770f9d&opt=0

Horrible what ever the reason does but planes just don't fall out of the sky during cruise. The Ukraine gov't also just accused Russia of shooting down one of its fighter jets. At least the wreckage landed in the Ukraine so the Russian's can't "influence" the investigation.

Will be interesting to see whether this is confirmed and if so admitted to by Russia.

The Korean Airlines jet was shot down by Russia years ago and I think the US downed an Iranian Airliner.

Just freaking horrible:(

Awful. :(

What useful purpose to anybody in that conflict does shooting down a Malaysian passenger plane serve? Freaking terrible.:mad2:

At least we should be able to figure out what happened with this one.

:(

What the hell is going on! Did I miss a war breaking out somewhere?

Yeah, where you been? Did you miss the whole Putin trying to reclaim the Soviet Union?

This has nothing but BAD written all over it. Further discussion will probably end up in the SZ, but there is some serious potential for another world war.

Yeah, where you been? Did you miss the whole Putin trying to reclaim the Soviet Union?

This has nothing but BAD written all over it. Further discussion will probably end up in the SZ, but there is some serious potential for another world war.

Agreed.......

This could go sideways at supersonic speed.....

Godspeed to those 295 souls on board...:sad::sad:

It sorta makes me wonder if the other 777 was hijacked by Russian influenced pilots.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...act-passenger-plane-ukraine/story?id=24599558

Just look at that wreckage. Heartbreaking. It was not a fun ride down.

rt_malaysia_plane_crash_2_kb_140717_4x3_992.jpg

Last edited:
At least the wreckage landed in the Ukraine so the Russian's can't "influence" the investigation.

Well, now Kiev junta is going to "influence" it, and I know who I trust more. On the other hand, Russians dodged a big bullet on this. Imagine if the jet were travelling to Europe when Ukros got it, just out of Russian airspace. Then there would be a bunch of russophobic conspiracies how it was all a set up and it was directed into warzone by evil russkies ATC, that it was hit by Russian missile and glided across the border, and so on and so forth.

By the way, remember how Ukrainian SAM downed a Tu-154 full of vacationing Jews over the Black Sea off Crimea? Ukrainians were in full denial mode for a week. Some of them even denied it after the wreckage was raised full of holes from the warhead rods, and tried to pin it on "terrorism". Watch this space, they are going to pin it on "pro-Putin separatists" this time. Just watch it.

Well, now Kiev junta is going to "influence" it, and I know who I trust more. On the other hand, Russians dodged a big bullet on this. Imagine if the jet were travelling to Europe when Ukros got it, just out of Russian airspace. Then there would be a bunch of russophobic conspiracies how it was all a set up and it was directed into warzone by evil russkies ATC, that it was hit by Russian missile and glided across the border, and so on and so forth.

By the way, remember how Ukrainian SAM downed a Tu-154 full of vacationing Jews over the Black Sea off Crimea? Ukrainians were in full denial mode for a week. Some of them even denied it after the wreckage was raised full of holes from the warhead rods, and tried to pin it on "terrorism". Watch this space, they are going to pin it on "pro-Putin separatists" this time. Just watch it.

Yeah Pete its a cluster Fart anyway you slice it. In the end 290 people died because some A-hole turned a key and pushed button on innocents who have zero to do with the conflict. Just very sad.

And this successful downing will just fuel the fire of any terrorist group that has SAM's in their possession....:hairraise:......:redface:

It'd fit that it'd be downed over a war zone by a missile but I'm still not sold. Too easy to just say a missile was fired at it. I think it's going to be more wise to sit back and wait for investigations to take place to confirm what really happened. Could have been a bomb or a mechanical problem or who knows what. Stay tuned :nonod:

I think it's odd that the day of the crash, an announcement through Facebook of all places is made by an 'official' about exactly what happened, including the type of missile that was used. Facebook is easily manipulated... :dunno: profiles are hacked out all the time.

Last edited:
Even if it turns out to be a SAM either side could have launched it and both have their reasons. That said, the Ukrainians are claiming the separatists shot down one of their SU-25s. Hard to believe they shot down their own fighter.

Is it weird that it is 18th anniversary of TWA 800?

It sorta makes me wonder if the other 777 was hijacked by Russian influenced pilots.

Uh, I fail to see any motive to connect anything between Russia's interests and Malaysian Airlines in general. I'd bet my life savings it's simply an unfortunate coincidence that MA's lost these two planes within a relatively short time.

Today's incident could probably have happened to any airliner that happened to be in that place at that time.

It's possible, in a conflict, for both sides to be the "bad guys"....

\At least the wreckage landed in the Ukraine so the Russian's can't "influence" the investigation.

Don't be so sure. From a BBC News ticker: "19:28: Flight recorders have been found at the crash site, Konstantin Knyrik, a spokesman for the pro-Russian rebels, has told Interfax news agency. Earlier reports quoted rebels as saying they intended to send the flight recorders to Moscow for checking."

All coincidentally timed after further Russian sanctions announced yesterday.

What useful purpose to anybody in that conflict does shooting down a Malaysian passenger plane serve? Freaking terrible.:mad2:

My theory is that Boeing did it in order to sell more planes. :eek:

Looks like the US is confirming it was shot down. From CNN:

The United States has concluded the Malaysian airline was shot down, a senior U.S. official told CNN's Barbara Starr. One radar system saw a surface-to-air missile system turn on and track an aircraft right before the plane went down Thursday, according to the official. A second system saw a heat signature at the time the airliner was hit, the official said. The United States is analyzing the trajectory of the missile to try to learn where the attack came from.

What is the timing between it and the SU-25? Could the airliner have been an "Oops"?:dunno:

What is the timing between it and the SU-25? Could the airliner have been an "Oops"?:dunno:

No doubt. The separatists earlier today claimed they shot down a Ukrainian cargo plane, they announced they shot down a fighter yesterday. I'll bet someone with a quick finger trigger shot down the wrong plane.

US has confirmed it was a surface to air missile.

Funny how they know exact details immediately... sometimes. Sure it blew up what flag blew it up? If this becomes a trend will the airlines need another bailout? Yeah for capitalism...

Funny how they know exact details immediately... sometimes. Sure it blew up what flag blew it up? If this becomes a trend will the airlines need another bailout? Yeah for capitalism...

Only a few ground based weapons systems can hit an airliner at 33K feet, where the bird was according to radar. The systems are pretty sophisticated and not easy operated. This wasn't some guy with a shoulder mounted anti-aircraft missile.

Only a few ground based weapons systems can hit an airliner at 33K feet, where the bird was according to radar. The systems are pretty sophisticated and not easy operated. This wasn't some guy with a shoulder mounted anti-aircraft missile.
How do I in Massachusetts consuming news know it wasn't air to air missile or a bomb?

I have a hard time envisioning any scenario in which this leads to war.

Ukraine is potentially the tip of the iceberg. Putin has an agenda. It depends a lot on how far he wants to go to reclaim the former Soviet states. Problem is, no one outside of his inner circle really knows the answer to that. If he had stopped with Crimea, not much of a big deal to the rest of the world.

But the continued escalation of hostilities on Ukraine is very worrisome. Especially the downing of a heavy civilian airliner with 295 souls on board. This could snowball very quickly leaving the western world a choice if either letting Putin run freely across Eastern Europe or they stand up and try to forcibly stop him. At a minimum, I think we are headed back into another Cold War. I do hope I'm wrong.

Back