Another logging PIC time scenario.

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
You are an ASEL but do not have a complex endorsement.

You fly an arrow with a CFI, solely manipulating the controls.

Can you log it as PIC time?

14 CFR 61.51(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights-

(i) When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate;

You can do this scenario with a P-ASEL sitting in the back seat. Nobody cares. Log what ever you want.

Say I'm flying right seat (First Officer) in an airplane with a required crew of two, and I'm rated to do so. The Captain gets up to take a leak as we're waiting to take the runway, and the poor Captain ends up with explosive diarrhea and confines himself to the ****ter for the remainder of the flight. Since his stool was runny, he can't log it. If fact, the flight never even happened because the required crew member (the Cap'n) was unable to crawl back to the flight deck due to excessive dehydration. He failed the IMSAFE checklist somewhere around the point where his ass hit the seat in the lav. Now, a.) if this was Class G would we still be able to serve alcohol, and b.) no matter what, anything within 5 feet of the Captain is considered uncontrolled airspace until he gains control of his sphincter. Does he still have a First Class medical at that point?

You are an ASEL but do not have a complex endorsement.

You fly an arrow with a CFI, solely manipulating the controls.

Can you log it as PIC time?
Yes, because complex is an endorsement, not a rating. (The reason it's not a rating is that it's not something that appears on your pilot certificate. See the FAR 1.1 definition of "rating.")

Last edited:
How do you become rated in an Arrow? You obtain a class rating of ASEL, then get the endorsement.

But the pilot is clearly gaining compensation and therefore violating 61.113, so it's all irrelevant anyway.

Why is a CFI doing anything but signing your logbook. It's your logbook, not his

Every CFI I've ever had has filled out the logbook for every dual lesson. Even if I filled it out and had the CFI sign, I would hope a CFI wouldn't just blindly sign it, but would want to make sure what was filled out was accurate.

Does no one else have CFI's make their own entries and then they double check? Have I been doing this wrong?

How is the same old logging PIC question that's been discussed thousands of times, and has had a clear answer for more than 30 years "Another logging PIC time scenario"? :rolleyes:

BTW, the answer is "yes."

Last edited:
Every CFI I've ever had has filled out the logbook for every dual lesson. Even if I filled it out and had the CFI sign, I would hope a CFI wouldn't just blindly sign it, but would want to make sure what was filled out was accurate.

Does no one else have CFI's make their own entries and then they double check? Have I been doing this wrong?
No you haven't. Goes both ways. Some folks just have a stronger sense of "it's mine, mine, MINE!" than others.

My best guess based on having been both a CFI and a trainee is, by far, most pilots have the CFI fill out the logbook. Probably a good thing to leave the comments field for the instructor, since that's what she is really signing off on and the language of an entry counts for training purposes, but other than that, no reason the CFI has to be the one to do the column entry.

It's also possible to just insert a missing number in the appropriate column yourself after the lesson. (I initial my entry if I do this, so that it's clear that I am not falsely claiming that the instructor made the entry.)

Back