Another Guy Asking for Buying Suggestions

FLABrewer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FLABrewer
Hi everyone,

I've recently returned to flying and am glad to be back in the seat. I live in South Florida and as I travel all over the state (which is quite large), I've decided to buy a plane. I've done as others have suggested and taken a good look at my needs. Here's what I've determined:

- I frequently carry 3 passengers (adults) with me
- I frequently go for 3-4 days at a time (luggage)
- I fly over water at times
- It is hot and windy here, and most of the state is around MSL
- I'm not in a big hurry to reach a destination
- I only want one engine
- I'm handy but not a mechanic
- I'd love to be able to haul golf clubs but certainly not mandatory
- I'm hoping for the $50k range but could go $75k if it was the right thing to do

I was looking at a Cherokee 140 with a 160hp upgrade (it was local) and quickly realized it wouldn't suit my needs (useful load, back seat, etc.) As all of my time has been in rental aircraft, I don't know a lot about my options. Seems like there are a lot of folks here flying many different aircraft so I thought, why not ask?!

Your input is much appreciated.

Ps. I'm not trying to start a 'my M20 is better than your PA-28' thing here, just looking for suggestions as to which aircraft could accomplish the above goals.

Piper Lance
and Welcome

As you will find four seats in a plane does not mean you will be able to fly with four adults...and baggage...and fuel.

Useful load will be your biggest limiting factor with four people and bags.

For your budget, look at an earlier Cessna 182.

Be prepared for lots of recommendations for a plane that will cost ya $150K to fit your mission.

Last edited:
I've flown with 3 in an archer several times. not with bags or golf bags but it's a little step up from the 140/160 you were looking at. I did fly with 1 buddy and 2 golf bags in a 140/160 no problem. if you have big fat friends/family this may not be the best way to go.

Thanks for the replies. When I've got 4 in the plane I won't have bags or clubs. Bags are just for when it's the wife and I.

If I take my 3 biggest guys with me we'll total about 780 lbs or so. Then there's fuel...

Look for a Cessna Cardinal RG with a 200hp engine. Check out cardinal flyers for information
And welcome to the board.

A Cherokee 6 would be preferred.

I can take that weight in my Piper Dakota or a similar 182 should be ok. Our useful load is 1209lbs. Useful fuel is 72 gallons. Max ramp weight of 3011 lbs.

I can actually fit 4 adults in a Dakota as the rear seat has more room than the earlier variants. I doubt you will find one for ~50k though.

An early 182 has the same, or better useful and since they made more and started earlier you may find one in your range.

good luck,

I should also say I don't think I want retractable gear. I have no time in complex aircraft.

Cherokee 6 looks like an awesome option.

I like the 182 (learned in 152's and 172's) but I find I like the visibility in a low wing. Guess I'm just one of those guys.

Cherokee six or a c182 or an older cessna 210. Your going to be a little limited,with the price range you've set. For something with good time on the engine and fairly decent avionics.

I should also say I don't think I want retractable gear. I have no time in complex aircraft.

Cherokee 6 looks like an awesome option.

I like the 182 (learned in 152's and 172's) but I find I like the visibility in a low wing. Guess I'm just one of those guys.

I was looking at cherokee 6's and 182's. The 182 is noticeably less for insurance given the same hull value, but the useful load in the piper is really good.

Stinson 108
Maule M5 or better
Cessna C180
PC12/45 or NG if you need a trike

Thanks again for all of the info. You guys are great.

PA32-300, big thanks for the offer, I might have to take you up on that. I was in Tampa yesterday. Guess I'm a day late!

I think you need a twin.

:D

Thanks for the replies. When I've got 4 in the plane I won't have bags or clubs. Bags are just for when it's the wife and I.

If I take my 3 biggest guys with me we'll total about 780 lbs or so. Then there's fuel...

You fly at sea level.... I had a 160HP Warrior and it was perfectly fine for the conditions you ask for.....

Proof.....

Four people, average weight, maybe 650 lbs combined... Absolutely no problem getting into Cedar Key... Only airstrip I left one at home and only took three was Chalet Suzzanne.... IMHO...

You fly at sea level.... I had a 160HP Warrior and it was perfectly fine for the conditions you ask for.....

Proof.....

Four people, average weight, maybe 650 lbs combined... Absolutely no problem getting into Cedar Key... Only airstrip I left one at home and only took three was Chalet Suzzanne.... IMHO...
4 average weight people out here in the South do not total 650 lbs...maybe 2.5 do.

Another vote for the Cherokee Six. 206 might work too.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I've recently returned to flying and am glad to be back in the seat. I live in South Florida and as I travel all over the state (which is quite large), I've decided to buy a plane. I've done as others have suggested and taken a good look at my needs. Here's what I've determined:

- I frequently carry 3 passengers (adults) with me
- I frequently go for 3-4 days at a time (luggage)
- I fly over water at times
- It is hot and windy here, and most of the state is around MSL
- I'm not in a big hurry to reach a destination
- I only want one engine
- I'm handy but not a mechanic
- I'd love to be able to haul golf clubs but certainly not mandatory
- I'm hoping for the $50k range but could go $75k if it was the right thing to do

I was looking at a Cherokee 140 with a 160hp upgrade (it was local) and quickly realized it wouldn't suit my needs (useful load, back seat, etc.) As all of my time has been in rental aircraft, I don't know a lot about my options. Seems like there are a lot of folks here flying many different aircraft so I thought, why not ask?!

Your input is much appreciated.

Ps. I'm not trying to start a 'my M20 is better than your PA-28' thing here, just looking for suggestions as to which aircraft could accomplish the above goals.

Rethink the prohibition on retractable landing gear and get a Comanche 250/260. That hauls the load of a C-182 and goes close to 20 knots faster. That and they are a sweet flying airplane.

Otherwise, a 73-76 PA-28-235 or a Cherokee Six.

That is one ugly assed looking plane with an all white paint job...:redface::redface:..

It needs few stripes BAD...

Funny we say that about a monochrome plane, but almost all cars are monochrome, and many these days are boring as hell. I'm so sick of solid white/silver/gray cars I could spit. I like the new direction Dodge is going with bolder colors for their coupes. Hope it catches on.

A $50K Six is going to be a rat trap death wagon. :sad:

They don't make a plane for $50K that'll haul four adults, baggage, full fuel, long range over water on high hot days.

Try again OP.

A $50K Six is going to be a rat trap death wagon. :sad:

They don't make a plane for $50K that'll haul four adults, baggage, full fuel, long range over water on high hot days.

Try again OP.

I will have to reread his initial request.... BUT...

I don't think it suggested those specs....:confused::confused::dunno:

I'd take a look at the Grumman Tiger. 135KTAS, 4 cylinders, fixed gear. Back seats fold down and will fit two sets of golf clubs, baggage, your wife, and full fuel. Most have 900 lbs useful load. Mid time engine and basic IFR, should be had for $45 to $60K. Check out trade a plane and Barnstormers.

I will have to reread his initial request.... BUT...

I don't think it suggested those specs....:confused::confused::dunno:

I re-read it and have to clarify he said he's at MSL but it's hot and windy.

A Six is definitely the plane for his mission that I agree with the thread on.

But a $50K-$75 Six is going to be a tall order. The Sixes are still popular and good one's fetch well over that.

I re-read it and have to clarify he said he's at MSL but it's hot and windy.

A Six is definitely the plane for his mission that I agree with the thread on.

But a $50K-$75 Six is going to be a tall order. The Sixes are still popular and good one's fetch well over that.

My point exactly.....:yes:

Lots of unknowns. How much total time do you have? How long since you flew with any regularity? I would look for a clean bonanza, fly it with a good CFI and build some time in it before hauling anyone else with me. Good solid airplane, not hard to fly, covers ground easily, etc.

I think there is something called a Pathfinder Cherokee? I think it was a 235 HP constant speed propeller on the warrior/archer airframe. Flew one in Alaska occasionally and I think it had a really high useful load and decent TAS.

I think there is something called a Pathfinder Cherokee? I think it was a 235 HP constant speed propeller on the warrior/archer airframe. Flew one in Alaska occasionally and I think it had a really high useful load and decent TAS.

These older PA28-235's have great useful, maybe 1250-1300lbs. But there is VERY little backseat room for adults. You need a >1973 model to get the fuselage stretch and actually have some room back there. That would be a Charger, Pathfinder, or Dakota.

But they are all still PA28 airframe so not as much room as C182. :(

Back