Another Fatal Vmc Demo Stall Spin

I guess it begs the question does this vmc/engine out training kill more people than the actual events?

Does anybody know where to download the yaw simulator used in this video?

Anybody doing VMC demos should be interested in the material covered — it might preserve their life. To cut to the chase, skip the first 40 minutes or so, then maybe go back to watch it all. Pay attention to the green arrow indicating airflow due to sideslip. Avoid sideslip angles toward the operating engine because you are setting yourself up for the mother of all cross controlled stalls. A yaw string might help you in flight, btw, as I mentioned earlier. Avoid high density altitude and more than 2° to 3° of bank too. Sure, more bank lowers VMCa, but do you really want that in a VMC demo? NO!

Last edited:
Years ago I used teach a lot of multi. VMC demos daily. I didn’t fully see the value at the time. Then one day I was on an approach with a multi student. Night IMC with one engine at idle. The student had been doing great and was closing in on his commercial multi. It was the last flight of a long day. We got a little busy with a radio problem, light turbulence, etc. The student got slow. I pointed it out. Watched him make a positive correction. Thought we were good. We were not. My fault obviously. He pitched above the GS and added power. I noticed the DG walking off slowly due to lack of rudder availability. We initiated a quick and deliberate recovery at about 1,500AGL. Pulled back the good engine, lowered the nose, regained airspeed, and right back on with the power. It was an eye opener but the recovery could not have been any cleaner. Those VMC demos were valuable and had become 2nd nature. That training allowed us to quickly identify and correct a problem that I never thought would happen in the real world.

Years ago I used teach a lot of multi. VMC demos daily. I didn’t fully see the value at the time. Then one day I was on an approach with a multi student. Night IMC with one engine at idle. The student had been doing great and was closing in on his commercial multi. It was the last flight of a long day. We got a little busy with a radio problem, light turbulence, etc. The student got slow. I pointed it out. Watched him make a positive correction. Thought we were good. We were not. My fault obviously. He pitched above the GS and added power. I noticed the DG walking off slowly due to lack of rudder availability. We initiated a quick and deliberate recovery at about 1,500AGL. Pulled back the good engine, lowered the nose, regained airspeed, and right back on with the power. It was an eye opener but the recovery could not have been any cleaner. Those VMC demos were valuable and had become 2nd nature. That training allowed us to quickly identify and correct a problem that I never thought would happen in the real world.
When you say “we” initiated the recovery, did the student recognize the loss of control and initiate the recovery, or did you do/command it?

When you say “we” initiated the recovery, did the student recognize the loss of control and initiate the recovery, or did you do/command it?
It was me that recognized it based on the airspeed, DG movement, and rudder input. I command the recovery. The student recognized the indications but did not initially correlate it with a VMC condition.

It was me that recognized it based on the airspeed, DG movement, and rudder input. I command the recovery. The student recognized the indications but did not initially correlate it with a VMC condition.
Which is typically the problem I see…pilots who have been trained and tested on Vmc demos don’t make the connection because they’ve only done enough to pass the checkride. If a pilot were to do “Vmc demos daily” it would have value, but unless you become a busy multi engine instructor that one happen. there’s just not enough of it in the course of training/checking for most pilots to benefit.

Reactions: Jdm
Back