Another EFB Thread

DavidH

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DavidH
Looking into different EFB's...

Foreflight seems to be the leader in terms of subscribers. FF has several attractive features. However, I'm not so sure I want to support their business model. Synthetic Vision wasn't exactly groundbreaking when they released it. Yet, they were compelled to charge an additional $25 for it on top of locking current subscribers into another full subscription term to get the update... if they wanted it. They seem to be getting away with it fairly well. That will likely point FF towards continuing the same trend when they add other features in the future... a very slippery slope. It looks like they may be moving toward a Garmin-type business decision model.

FlyQ looks fairly good on the surface (although lacking some of the FF features). The interface looks fairly polished and the documentation appears to be concise. The winds aloft graphs could be useful for quick altitude decisions. I didn't see a traffic pattern advisor such as FF has (does anyone find that feature useful?). I also wonder if FlyQ is on the way up... or on the way out. SA was also behind the now defunct B/K myWingman and AOPA just pulled the plug with them. :confused:

Garmin... a closed off monopoly in the making (if not already). I would rather not support them outside of the panel. If they were to drive the competition out of the EFB marketplace, we all know where pricing and innovation would go. Feel free to correct me.

Any others I should consider? I've been reading several threads... but the EFB marketplace is changing extremely rapidly. Trying them all out would probably be a bit of a stretch... considering the current weather often isn't good for VFR this time of year and it takes time to get comfortable with each App.

I'm using an IPAD Mini paired to a Bad Elf Pro. ADS-B doesn't look to be mature enough to drive an EFB decision. Features that look like they would be useful: Sketch on taxi diagrams, X-Ray distance, Traffic pattern advisor, and Winds aloft. Should there be other must haves in my feature want list?

You missed WingX.

Yeah, that. I went with WingX after a year with Foreflight primarily because of split screen capability. I'm into about 18 months with WingX and am very happy so far. But I am a recreational pilot who doesn't do a whole lot of long trips nor any IFR (yet).

It's stable, and capable. I haven't looked to see what ForeFlight has feature wise since I left. (I'm committed to WingX for another 2 1/2 years or so.)

John

>> Foreflight seems to be the leader in terms of subscribers

I ask this same question everyone uses this claim, what is this based on because either Apple or the app makers publish such figures.

>> Garmin... a closed off monopoly in the making

And FF isn't ?

>> Foreflight seems to be the leader in terms of subscribers

I ask this same question everyone uses this claim, what is this based on because either Apple or the app makers publish such figures.

>> Garmin... a closed off monopoly in the making

And FF isn't ?

Your right... FF seems to be heading down the same path as Garmin.

I use GP. The hardware is much less expensive. It is missing some features I'd like (e.g. ability to highlight or draw on airport diagrams). Otherwise, it works pretty well. I got a Google Nexus 7 for significantly less than $200, so it was worth a try to me. It seems pretty stable, but I have had one issue with the tablet just not working. It seemed to be an issue with Android OS, not GP, though. It didn't really cause that big of an issue since I am just a VFR pilot.

All apps out there have nice and unique features and some get folks excited when released but in every day use, how often do people really use these features in flight ?

How practical in real flying situations are some of these features ? Eyes outside is #1 priority.

Try Avare. I use it on my Galaxy tablet when I remember to both take it with me and turn it on. Sometimes I load it in with the baggage, and think about it during the climb out.

So I like it, but it gets more use for preflight planning than in the air. Need to establish new habits . . .

Best of all, it's free. All the sectionals, enroutes, TACs and approach plates that you can store. Free. Cool!

I'm another WingX user. I started out with FF but after doing the 30 day free trial of WingX I realized it offered way more features for the money. After using WingX for three years I recently downloaded the FF 30 day free trial. The base subscription for FF is still lagging far behind the base features of WingX. Ultimately it comes down to what you are looking for and which interface you like best. You can download the free trials for WingX, FF and Garmin and compare them for yourself. I suggest getting familiar with them at home but make your final judgement after putting them through the paces in flight. Opperating them in a bouncing plane with less than optimum viewing conditions should be part of your evaluation process. Here is a link to the WingX channel on YouTube so you can check out some of the features now.

https://m.youtube.com/user/HiltonSoftware

Last edited:
iFly GPS (Adventure Pilot) on the iPad works very well. Works with most ADS-B receivers, automatically rolls out the airport diagram when you land, or if no diagram, a satellite view, and your location is georeferenced to both. It is well supported, and has a slick interface.

I am running an Android but if I used my iPad in the cockpit, it would have WingX or iFly GPS (and probably both) because I believe in supporting software that doesn't lock you into their exclusive hardware.

Will Garmin work with the internal GPS on an iPad with cellular?

Will Garmin work with the internal GPS on an iPad with cellular?
Yes, it will use the built-in GPS/GLONASS positioning data, and can use external sources to the tablet using a GPS Over Bluetooth or similar app.

Adding the Garmin GDL-39 3D adds a WAAS capable receiver, ADAHRS, and ADS-B and TIS-B data where available.

It pains me how far behind the Android version is compared to the iOS version, if that is not rectified by my next renewal I will drop GP.

'Gimp

iFly GPS (Adventure Pilot) on the iPad works very well. Works with most ADS-B receivers, automatically rolls out the airport diagram when you land, or if no diagram, a satellite view, and your location is georeferenced to both. It is well supported, and has a slick interface.

I am running an Android but if I used my iPad in the cockpit, it would have WingX or iFly GPS (and probably both) because I believe in supporting software that doesn't lock you into their exclusive hardware.
iFly gps is also available for android:
http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/SYSTEMS/iFlyGPSforAndroid.aspx

Is their android version also behind the ipad version like so many of these EFB apps?

The thing about Garmin Pilot is it turns your iPad into a GTN controller for a GNS box. We'll see how popular an upgrade the Flight Stream Bluetooth link for the 430/530 radios is. It's the program I've gone to, and will probably pick up a GDL-39 3D.

The thing about Garmin Pilot is it turns your iPad into a GTN controller for a GNS box. We'll see how popular an upgrade the Flight Stream Bluetooth link for the 430/530 radios is. It's the program I've gone to, and will probably pick up a GDL-39 3D.
Henning I saw the Flight Stream 210/Connext setup demo'd live with a 430 and Garmin Pilot on an iPad and it was damn impressive, swapping flightplan changes back and forth, ADS-B and TIS-B displayed on both, attitude data - it was really cool.

I don't know exactly what I will do with the Yak yet since it does not have a panel mount GPS Navigator installed (does have a GPSMap 496 that I moved to the rear cockpit) - my intent is the GDL-39 3D hard mounted to the rear cockpit glareshield and GP on my tablet on a RAM mount in the front cockpit similar to my mockup below.

20150119_163306_zpsvmdzkgt3.jpg

Since it is Experimental-Exhibition I won't have the TSO requirement for my eventual ADS-B out solution, just need something to work with the GTX 330 (which is a great transponder, easy to use in the cramped cockpit).

'Gimp

I've been a FF user for two years now (Pro for 1 year). I used WingX for the 30-day trial and just didn't like it. While it may have more technical features, I just can't get over the lack of "curb appeal." I may grab the free subscription after grabbing my CFI ticket, but I still I doubt I'll give it too much attention.

I don't rely heavily on my EFB before or in flight (ATIS, clearance, approach plates, and taxi diagrams) so FF works just fine for me, for now, but that may change in the future.

Edit: have I mentioned how much I like the new scratchpad update? See attachment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I've been a FF user for two years now (Pro for 1 year). I used WingX for the 30-day trial and just didn't like it. While it may have more technical features, I just can't get over the lack of "curb appeal." I may grab the free subscription after grabbing my CFI ticket, but I still I doubt I'll give it too much attention.

I don't rely heavily on my EFB before or in flight (ATIS, clearance, approach plates, and taxi diagrams) so FF works just fine for me, for now, but that may change in the future.

Edit: have I mentioned how much I like the new scratchpad update? See attachment.

The scratchpad feature in FF looks like it could be useful for sure...

After their most recent upgrade to it, I no longer have to run a separate scratchpad program.

+1 for WingX or IFly GPS...
WingX's 3 year subscription is a great deal

The other feature I use heavily is the Documents feature. I have all manuals, POHs and avionics user guides for dozens of components, plus all my teaching materials organized into binders and stored there.

Back