another can I log it?

Wow. I didn't mean to start a war. I just wanted to know if I should take my logbook along.:(

For students of PPSEL, its kind of pointless to log "fun flying" (as opposed to flying for PPSEL syllabus) like aerobatics and tailwheel. There really isn't a requirement to log it and if you are headed to a career fewer hours to Private look good...
Not the big a deal either way.

Nobody ever looked at how many hours it took for me to get any certificate.

I have to agree. That's fairly dodgy advice. If anything tailwheel time is so rare these days folks might like to see it, than not. Shows someone actually attempted to connect their feet to their brain. :) But it doesn't really matter.

Bull ****! You know every post on here has a 67.3854 % chance of starting a war. Take credit and pat yourself on the back.
Threads like this typically cause boxing gloves to be taken out too.

I just want to be clear!
Whenever I have a lesson with my CFI, I log the flight (write it in the book) and he signs it. Is this not correct?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you flew a lesson with your CFI. Normally the CFI logs the flight and what you trained on in your log book. That's the way I've always done it. Then when you fly a solo flight you would write it in your logbook yourself.

All the OP wants to know if he could log the aerobatic flight as dual received. Everyone stop complicating this.

All the OP wants to know if he could log the aerobatic flight as dual received. Everyone stop complicating this.
And the first reply was correct (provided that he's actually getting instruction rather than an acro joy ride).
The second reply was completely incorrect and that's what started the thread drift.

And the first reply was correct (provided that he's actually getting instruction rather than an acro joy ride).
The second reply was completely incorrect and that's what started the thread drift.
Yep. Somehow it got into logging PIC time in a tailwheel:confused:

In general, I am a proponent of minimalist moderation on forums like this. But when people post grossly incorrect information we ought to be able to downvote or remove it. Someone Googling the topic 3 years later might see it and get the wrong idea.

In general, I am a proponent of minimalist moderation on forums like this. But when people post grossly incorrect information we ought to be able to downvote or remove it

I disagree - this is a message board, not wikipedia. I think we start down a very slippery slope when we modify content just because it's incorrect. The second reply's mistake was immediately corrected by the post after it. This board is very active about correcting mistakes (many seem to revel in it!), so I don't see obvious mistakes going undetected as a huge issue around here.

I think there's value in leaving the flow of a thread as intact as possible, warts and all.

I disagree - this is a message board, not wikipedia. I think we start down a very slippery slope when we modify content just because it's incorrect. The second reply's mistake was immediately corrected by the post after it. This board is very active about correcting mistakes (many seem to revel in it!), so I don't see obvious mistakes going undetected as a huge issue around here.

I think there's value in leaving the flow of a thread as intact as possible, warts and all.

Fair enough.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you flew a lesson with your CFI. Normally the CFI logs the flight and what you trained on in your log book. That's the way I've always done it. Then when you fly a solo flight you would write it in your logbook yourself.

The way my cfi does it is this:
I have a syllabus that has every lesson layed out, and he checks off the items as we do them. Then he signs the bottom.20170219_151943.jpg

Then I fill out the logbook information (date, aircraft information, times, landings,) he then signs the far right column and notes which lesson we did.
20170219_151956.jpg

This is how it's always been for me too. Any dual instruction was logged by the CFI and any solo time was logged by me. I guess every instructor does their thing differently.

That's how I've always done it but it seems in recent years that instructors have empowered their students to complete the logbook entry and they provide the signature. The FAA doesn't care one way or the other, but that's not how I do it...if I'm going to sign something, I'm going to describe very precisely what I did. So short of the student taking dictation of what I want to be logged in the book, I will do the entry.

I think some are using the Gleim sylallbus where it's sorta functions as a log. Whatever, I'm doing it the way I described above.

This.

While the moderators might have their own ideas of what is a correct answer and what is not, it is not their duty to be the judges of that as far as the board is concerned.

Unrelated to the current flame war...

Friend has started flight training. I am not a CFI. I went flying with him today, and he controlled the plane for almost all of the level flight. Can he log any of that?

Friend has started flight training. I am not a CFI. I went flying with him today, and he controlled the plane for almost all of the level flight. Can he log any of that?
even I can answer that one, nope.

I have a ton of yoke time with non cfi friends that i couldn't log.

No, and technically, neither can you.

So the PIC/only rated person in the plane isn't touching the yoke therefor no one logs it??? Interesting. Who logs it when the autopilot is flying?

Yeah, that is how the reg is literally written, however in reality the PIC probably always logs it anyway.

As for tha autopilot that is sort of a red herring and this subject comes up occasionally. The pilot manipulates the autopilot which is just another set of controls.

Back