Another Audio Panel Thread!

MPB

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MPB
Ok folks,

So here's the deal - Warrior with a WAAS430, MX170C, KMA20 and PM3000 stereo intercom. I like to listen to music when flying and love the PM3000 - it's great, no need to ditch it. Problem is the KMA20, no issues yet but I sense it's getting close - the auto com knob is getting stiff to turn - I'm waiting for it to break off in my hand one day!

So I sense we are getting close on needing to replace the audio panel. My understanding is that this is a potentially huge job and that much of it is wiring the intercom. Which brings us to the crux of the issue - my intercom is fine and I'm happy with it. Thus, could I install something like a PMA6000 and not use its intercom but continue to use my installed PM3000 stereo intercom -would this noticeably decrease my cost? Do you think this would be doable for around 3 grand?

Alternatively, if this is not possible and I went with a stereo audio panel higher up the food chain (PMA7000/PMA8000) could we see some cost savings as a consequence of the existing wiring for the PM3000? Could we do this for 4 grand perhaps?

I guess the big question is, is there anyway (or does having) that existing PM3000 intercom help on the cost of installing a new audio panel?

Thanks in advance all!

You're going to be money and frustration ahead if you just bite the bullet and rip and replace all the wiring. Trying to re-use or piggy-back on existing wiring when dealing with audio is asking for constant gremlins. In the long run, it's likely to be better if you just do the whole thing. I've got a PMA8000BT that I love, but if I were to do it again, I'd spend an extra few $$ and get the latest version PMA450.

To add what Brad said, most avionics shops won't even try and install a new audio panel without replacing the wiring. In addition to repinning, having enough wire to reach, dealing with new wires that need to be run, and just not knowing the condition of the existing wiring, it's too much of a potential to spend more working with the existing wiring than running new.

Ok folks,

So here's the deal - Warrior with a WAAS430, MX170C, KMA20 and PM3000 stereo intercom. I like to listen to music when flying and love the PM3000 - it's great, no need to ditch it. Problem is the KMA20, no issues yet but I sense it's getting close - the auto com knob is getting stiff to turn - I'm waiting for it to break off in my hand one day!

So I sense we are getting close on needing to replace the audio panel. My understanding is that this is a potentially huge job and that much of it is wiring the intercom. Which brings us to the crux of the issue - my intercom is fine and I'm happy with it. Thus, could I install something like a PMA6000 and not use its intercom but continue to use my installed PM3000 stereo intercom -would this noticeably decrease my cost? Do you think this would be doable for around 3 grand?

Alternatively, if this is not possible and I went with a stereo audio panel higher up the food chain (PMA7000/PMA8000) could we see some cost savings as a consequence of the existing wiring for the PM3000? Could we do this for 4 grand perhaps?

I guess the big question is, is there anyway (or does having) that existing PM3000 intercom help on the cost of installing a new audio panel?

Thanks in advance all!
OK MPB, you have gotten some excellent advice so far.

IF, and only if, the wires for the PM3000 reach the location of your new audio panel, you can absolutely use those wires for the audio panel (assuming the PM3000 was wired per the print).

If the wires won't reach, you'd have to have a new intercom harness made.

Warriors are great airplanes (I fly an Archer) and I'm pretty darn sure upgrading to the PMA8000G would not only have you continue to enjoy the great sound of the radio, intercom, and music, but the additional functionality of our IntelliAudio (True Dimension Sound), the flexibility of music distribution, a built-in USB charger, and easy to use interface, you'd never second guess your decision.

So, if the wires reach, reuse them, that would be a big time-saver for the installer. If they don't, upgrade your audio panel when you have a budget reserve to have the harness made, it will be worth every penny IMHO.

Hope this helps.

FYI to @MPB

@mscheuer not only is a user and knowledgeable expert on the PSE audio panels….. he also owns the company!

I've got a PMA8000BT that I love, but if I were to do it again, I'd spend an extra few $$ and get the latest version PMA450.
Isn't the PMA450b a slide-in replacement for the PMA8000BT? Sounds like you can spend an extra few $$ right now.

Isn't the PMA450b a slide-in replacement for the PMA8000BT? Sounds like you can spend an extra few $$ right now.
It is, 100% less the new capability of flightmate(R) which would have to be installed by an avionics shop.

I second the recommendation on the PMA 8000G. I love mine. The Bluetooth lets me play from XM radio without wires and I like the built-in USB jack.

Absolutely, I'd go for the PMA450b, if only for the great display on the unit (super easy menu system) and the dual independent Bluetooth channels.

- Martin

Back