Annual Wings of Hope Save-a-Kids Life Airplane Raffle!

Ken Pedersen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Pedersen
You can win a beautifully restored 1964 Piper Cherokee PA-28-235! TTAF 2307 Hrs., SMOH: 194 Hrs. (11/14/13) Striking shiny aluminum exterior with red stripes and burgundy-tan interior. IFR equipped, Garmin GNS430 GPS/Nav/Com and Garmin 106 CDI. PLUS a PPL or advanced training scholarship. And that’s not all….the 2nd prize winner also wins a scholarship! (Already have your PPL but want to get your seaplane rating? Here’s your chance!) Only 3000 tickets will be sold and the past raffles sold out in 5 weeks with at least 2 winners from this board! Proceeds support our Medical Air Transport mission of flying children with complex medical conditions to life saving care at advanced treatment facilities. We use our own aircraft and volunteer pilots -- and provide this service FREE to those in need. For pics, detail, raffle rules and ticketing click on: www.wingsofhope.ngo/airplane-raffle/

Last edited:
That's one nice looking airplane!

Can I trade them the one they gave me for that one? :)

Man....quick math tells me they will sell this for 125k. That's one helluva margin.

Maybe I should rifle my rig!

We've all heard this before... Yet to see anyone win who said it.

I did the year before mkosmo won his. Steingar won a plane, too. The odds are good somebody in this group will win another plane in the near future.

I did the year before mkosmo won his. Steingar won a plane, too. The odds are good somebody in this group will win another plane in the near future.
I think they're just jealous ;)

Jealous of an old clapped out raffle plane? Pu-Lease......

Jealous of an old clapped out raffle plane? Pu-Lease......
That one looks anything but clapped out. Mine is certainly young for her years. 2k TT and a fairly fresh OH with a modern stack? I couldn't have been luckier.

I'd be jealous if I hadn't won her.

Lucky is right. But not what I would want to keep. Id burn a few hours and sell it. If they had up a Lance/Toga, Vtail, Commanche, RV9....****, man... Id by half the tickets myself.

Is keeping that shine hard if you can't hanger it? Amazing looking.

That long ago not sure what it could mean. Obviously it's still around so it was not so expensive it was a loss. Could it have been a different aircraft with the same registry?

We're grateful to this pilot community for pointing out the damage report -- not sure how we missed it. Other than there being a small doubler just aft of the nose gear, the plane's log doesn't suggest any major repairs in that 1965-66 time frame. We haven't detected any performance issues and we'll be delivering the plane with a fresh annual.

We're grateful to this pilot community for pointing out the damage report -- not sure how we missed it. Other than there being a small doubler just aft of the nose gear, the plane's log doesn't suggest any major repairs in that 1965-66 time frame. We haven't detected any performance issues and we'll be delivering the plane with a fresh annual.
That'd be nice to point out somewhere perhaps. I didn't learn until my first annual that my airplane had a damaged lower firewall due to an apparent nose wheel strike... I was rather surprised when I saw that one.

Dang, I've known about this for a few weeks but was keeping it on the down-low until I buy my tix on April 1st. So I've done a fair amount of research on PA-28-235s since. Obviously useful load is what they're known for but they seem slow in cruise compared to 182 of the same vintage. Expect 130ktas on 13 gph. But they are rock stable in IMC, I would love to have this plane to do my IR.

How difficult is it to maintain that bare aluminum? Does it have an AP? Is the 430 that is being installed a WAAS box?

How difficult is it to maintain that bare aluminum? Does it have an AP? Is the 430 that is being installed a WAAS box?

Good questions! Feel free to call or email Wings of Hope and talk to Steve Long, our hangar director. 636.537.1302 or steve.long@wingsofhope.ngo

Here's the reply from Wings of Hope's hangar director: If the aircraft is hangared and waxed it will last several years without any attention. It does not have an autopilot. The Garmin 430 is not WAAS but can be upgraded.
Steve

...and then post the answers here.

Logs are complete and original, no corrosion, no outstanding ADs.

Panel will have the following:
Full shotgun panel including DG, AI, VSI, T&S, Altimeter, Airspeed
RPM, MP, EGT
GNS-430 (non WAAS but upgradeable)
Garmin 106 CDI w/ Glideslope
KX-125 Nav/Com + LCD CDI (no second analogue CDI head)
Audio Panel
Transponder

Lapbelts only
No Autopilot

Here's the reply from Wings of Hope's hangar director: If the aircraft is hangared and waxed it will last several years without any attention. It does not have an autopilot. The Garmin 430 is not WAAS but can be upgraded.
Steve

Logs are complete and original, no corrosion, no outstanding ADs.

Panel will have the following:
Full shotgun panel including DG, AI, VSI, T&S, Altimeter, Airspeed
RPM, MP, EGT
GNS-430 (non WAAS but upgradeable)
Garmin 106 CDI w/ Glideslope
KX-125 Nav/Com + LCD CDI (no second analogue CDI head)
Audio Panel
Transponder

Lapbelts only
No Autopilot

Cool!

Looks like it'll need some work in the not too distant future. Hopefully the new owner (the winner or otherwise) will be able to upgrade the panel and get some shoulder harnesses in there.

Hopefully the new owner (the winner or otherwise) will be able to ... get some shoulder harnesses in there.

AMSAFE belts would be my first upgrade for sure. Then maybe hit up the L-3 9000 Lynx ADSB + Transponder + WAAS solution while it's still on sale...

I'll be in for a 3 pack. this is basically the plane I want anyway (though a six would be preferable) and if I "win it", my wife won't say no, though she wouldn't be on board with me buying a plane right now, she'd be OK with keeping it if we won it. :)

What is the value of the airplane? Just thinking tax implications. I usually only play the penny slots ;)

I'll be in for a 3 pack. this is basically the plane I want anyway (though a six would be preferable) and if I "win it", my wife won't say no, though she wouldn't be on board with me buying a plane right now, she'd be OK with keeping it if we won it. :)
Just remember that the income tax hit is still there if you win ;)

I don't even like low-winged really (disabled guy) and want that lol.

Last edited:
Buying my tickets, this "negative" thought entered my head.....

When someone wins a prize such as this, it it something the IRS is gonna want to know about?

Back