Annual Due Date

Danny Dub

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Danny Dub
When a plane was last annualed on 5-29-17, I know it is legal until the last day of May. What if on that day I take it to start the annual and it doesn't get signed off until June something or even July. Does the next due date change? Probably not since everyone would try to get an extra month here and there but I haven't hound the applicable regulations to spell it out clearly for me.

Dan

That's exactly how it works. Annual is good until the last day of the month the year after it was inspected. in your case, if you signed off on june 1, annual would be good until june 30, 2019. Many people do this to essentially get a "13 month" annual.

That's exactly how it works, and that is exactly how everyone does it.

Except this year I am going to get my annual 2 months early, prior to leaving for a Florida-Alaska round trip.

That's exactly how it works. Annual is good until the last day of the month the year after it was inspected. in your case, if you signed off on june 1, annual would be good until june 30, 2019. Many people do this to essentially get a "13 month" annual.

I’m in that camp.

Start the annual (in my case a condition inspection) in the last few days of the month, finish it in the first few days of the following month. Has gradually gotten me from the dead of winter to spring, where I kinda like it - not too cold, not too hot.

The regulation is in 91.40? and it is 12 calendar months from the month it was signed off last. If you want to allow it to go out of annual while the annual is being completed, that is up to you.

Many A&P-IAs will only use the month and the Total time of the airframe for 100 hours/ AD purposes.

Annual complied June 18, TT 5606.0, then add the maintenance completed.

I’m in that camp.

Start the annual (in my case a condition inspection) in the last few days of the month, finish it in the first few days of the following month. Has gradually gotten me from the dead of winter to spring, where I kinda like it - not too cold, not too hot.

Want to change the time of your annual? Do the inspection when you want it to occur, want it in May? do it in May.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the responces. Learning has occurred.

Dan

Do you understand how it works for your medical? Your flight review? Your aircraft’s altimeter check? Your aircraft’s transponder check? Same concept for all of these. X number of calendar months.

Always plan the annual to pick up a month or two.

Yes I get it. I'm remebering some little nugget that if you did maintenance late, it did not reset the date the way you all have described. Of course this is from back in my flight instructor days of the early 2000s. Maybe 100 hour checks kept the original 100 hour time even if you completed the check at 105?

Or, I may have slept since 2002 and completely dreamed that.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Yep, if you have 99.5 hours since last inspection and you have to fly it to a place that can perform the inspection 2 hours away it doesn't mean you got an extra 1.5 hours out of it. Next 100 hour inspection is due at 200 hours, not 201.5 which would be 100 hours from when the inspection was complied with.

Otherwise, you can control when things are due. My ELT inspection didn't line up with my annual the first year I had my plane. It does now.

My advice: do the 13 month annual until it finally falls during a bad flying month (for me that's February), then do them on a 12 month schedule. Due to some major maintenance issues last year, my March annual was signed off in June. So now I'm doing the 13 month thing until it hits February (gonna take 7 years, unless I have another multi-month annual), for me, February is the month I'm least likely to fly...

Yep, if you have 99.5 hours since last inspection and you have to fly it to a place that can perform the inspection 2 hours away it doesn't mean you got an extra 1.5 hours out of it. Next 100 hour inspection is due at 200 hours, not 201.5 which would be 100 hours from when the inspection was complied with.

Otherwise, you can control when things are due. My ELT inspection didn't line up with my annual the first year I had my plane. It does now.
Some owners will stop using the aircraft for commercial purposes at 100 hours, but forget the 100 hour ADs are still due. (don't be that guy) :)

My condition inspection expired on November 30, 2017, so that's the day I started my new inspection. I signed off my new condition inspection on February 1, 2018. It took me two months to get it done, but it was thorough and complete, and it was raining most of December and January anyway. My next inspection is due February 28, 2019.

My condition inspection expired on November 30, 2017, so that's the day I started my new inspection. I signed off my new condition inspection on February 1, 2018. It took me two months to get it done, but it was thorough and complete, and it was raining most of December and January anyway. My next inspection is due February 28, 2019.

Hi Stan, it's actually March 1, 2019, because it's calendar time, it's the last day of the month and you can legally fly February 28th 11:59 PM,
just thinking, not to whine or complain

Unfortunately, this year I had to remind the shop that the annual is the frequency not the duration of the inspection. Actually they did it in only two months. So, doing the math, 13 - 2 = 11 months.

I'm gonna hate myself for asking.

What is @A1Topgun talking about?

The annual is valid until the last day of the 12th month since it was signed off.

The 13 month silliness is having it signed off on the first day of the month following the former annual expiry.

Where do you get to 11 months?

I'm hoping he is being sarcastic about the time required to complete his annual. he'll still get 12 months until his annual is due again.

It is not true. You will not rot in hell if you have your annual done early. :)

Oh good, because I am going to have mine done two months early this year.

I do the 13-month deal every year. Doesn't everyone who has the flexibility?

No,, I don't have the flexibility, who gets annual, when depends upon my schedule. I have my regulars on a schedule. They know when, I know when, it all works.

Nope. Don't want the annual being done during prime flying season. Had my Comanche nine years, and the annuals get done in Feb/March/April. Actually moved mine up this year so I could make a trip that would have coincided with my annual even if I did it at 12 months. I actually did it 2 months early this year.

With Avemco still covering the aircraft even if the annual is "accidentally" expired midterm, strict adherence to the annual schedule is becoming a thing in the past...

The annual is valid until the last day of the 12th month since it was signed off.

The 13 month silliness is having it signed off on the first day of the month following the former annual expiry.

Where do you get to 11 months?

Yes, I know the annual is good for twelve calender months. I was being facetious when I stated eleven months. (Lost two months in the shop.)

With Avemco still covering the aircraft even if the annual is "accidentally" expired midterm, strict adherence to the annual schedule is becoming a thing in the past...

Unless there's an accident with liability. YOU the owner are now to blame in the tort system for negligent maintenance.

Slimy Lawyer: "Sir, Mr. expert witness, would the mechanical problem been detected if the aircraft owner had followed FAA regulations?"
Expert Witness: "Yes Sir, the XXX problem would have been observed by any competent Inspector during the routine Annual Inspection as mandated in regulations"

Slimy Lawyer:
"Is their a process to move an aircraft freshly out of annual?"
Expert Witness: "Yes Sir, the aircraft owner could work with the IA and local FAA office (FSDO) to get a routine ferry permit"

Slimy Lawyer:
"Your honor and Jury, this aircraft owner not only disregarded basic safety regulations, but also demonstrated a caviler and dismissive attitude towards the rules and regulations, with a lack of basic safety concerns injuring my clients"

Last edited:
Always have the IA do the annual in January, and always use the same pen.

If needed, you can easily change the annual to April, July, or November easily in case of above issue.
Same goes for February --> December and March --> August

Yup.....annual means once a year, but they can be done more frequently if so desired. ;)

Last edited:
Always have the IA do the annual in January, and always use the same pen.

If needed, you can easily change the annual to April, July, or November easily in case of above issue.
Same goes for February --> December and March --> August
:) :) :) :)

Avemco covers the owner's liability, too.
Not when the plaintiff sues for $5M in damages and emotional distress and the Jury wants to send you a lesson for willful and negligent disregard for the regulations.

Besides someone in this situation can probably bank on the FAA or NTSB filing charges.

"strict adherence to the annual schedule is becoming a thing in the past..." is just something many would be hesitant to test.

good luck with collecting 5M... and that would've been a problem in case of a pure piloting fault anyway. that said, i'm not affiliated with Avemco nor have any policy from them :)

Back