Android Tablets in the Cockpit

MikeTuggle

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeT
Clearly iPads have the mind share these days but there are terrific Android tablets in the 7" to almost 10" range in price ranges that are a lot better than the Apple products.

There have been a number of threads here discussing iPad choices... mini or full size. But I can't find a current thread focusing on Android choices.

Most Android tablets seem to max out at 32Gb -- compared to iPads that go up to 128Gb. Many of the Android tablets have microSD expansion capability but not all.

I have downloaded and "played with" trials of: DroidEFB (formerly FlightPro), Garmin Pilot, Avare, FltPlan Go, and others. But I figure why not ask those that actually use them...

What is your favorite Android tablet and why?

What is your favorite Android EFB app and why?

Do you find that you need more memory than 32Gb -- and thus need the MicroSD card? Is the larger memory as needed with Android as it is with the iPads?

Thanks!

I have an older Nexus 10 that I use with Avare. It's simple and works well.

Nexus 9. Droid EFB. Garmin Pilot is OK too.

All of my mobile devices are samsung. Galaxy S5 phone, Tab2 10.1 and Tab 3 7"

I have avare on all of them, but the 7" is the one I mainly use in the cockpit. That tablet is stripped down to just what comes on it and the various flying related apps I use. W&B, E6B, Avare, etc. It works very well. It's only 8GB and that was enough until I did my cross country trip and wanted to download all the charts. A 32GB SD card had plenty of room to spare.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S -- the 8.4" version.

I've had Nexus 7 tablets (2012 and 2013 editions), and loved them -- but the Tab S is the Cadillac of tablets. It shares the same incredibly bright Amoled screen that made the S5 cellphone so popular. Since we use this tablet in the back cockpit of an RV-8A, visibility under the canopy was essential -- and this tablet delivers.

It has expandable memory, which we use all the time. I have all of our charts on the SD card, for example.

It is incredibly fast, buttery smooth, and, as with all Android products, infinitely customizable. The only downside of this tablet is price: It's almost as expensive as an iPad.

Given it's superiority in brightness and processing power, I think it's worth the money. YMMV.

Garmin Pilot. It is the most polished of the Android offerings, and we have been with it since 2012, when it was truly a polished turd!

It is rock solid stable, and interfaces flawlessly with the GDL-39, giving us ADS-B weather and traffic. It also Bluetooths to my GRT Avionics EFIS, reproducing the EFIS in our back cockpit -- giving us full backseat instrumentation for the cost of a tablet!

This feature is ONLY available to Android users, BTW.

Do you find that you need more memory than 32Gb -- and thus need the MicroSD card?

Need? No. Want? Yes. I really like having the ability to store virtually anything and everything, without regard to built in memory.

If you're cheap, this also means you can get away with a 16 GB tablet, and simply put a ginormous SD card in.

Nexus 7 with Garmin Pilot.

The screen is much brighter than the iPad, it has internal GPS. 32GB is enough if you're not using it for much else.

32G nexus 9 with Garmin pilot here. It's been rock solid for me.

Original Nexus 7 with iFly. I use the Skyguard ADS-B In/Out device, and I like how the iFly has a built-in control panel for that unit.

Nexus 7 with Garmin Pilot.

The screen is much brighter than the iPad, it has internal GPS. 32GB is enough if you're not using it for much else.

Same here, very happy with this setup.

Clearly iPads have the mind share these days but there are terrific Android tablets in the 7" to almost 10" range in price ranges that are a lot better than the Apple products.

There have been a number of threads here discussing iPad choices... mini or full size. But I can't find a current thread focusing on Android choices.

Most Android tablets seem to max out at 32Gb -- compared to iPads that go up to 128Gb. Many of the Android tablets have microSD expansion capability but not all.

I have downloaded and "played with" trials of: DroidEFB (formerly FlightPro), Garmin Pilot, Avare, FltPlan Go, and others. But I figure why not ask those that actually use them...

Do you find that you need more memory than 32Gb -- and thus need the MicroSD card? Is the larger memory as needed with Android as it is with the iPads?

Thanks!

I've had both Android and iPxx in both pad and phone form, and am back to iP for both at the moment. None of the aviation products for the Android were full featured last time I was buying, Garmin Pilot lacked SVT, and every other program that was dual compatible or Android based lacked features I desired that were available in the iOS version.

As for physical hardware/software of the unit itself, I'd be hard pressed to say there is a 'better' Android model than an iPad. IMO when all is said and done, while Android has a few features I like that iOS doesn't do, all in all the iPad/phone is a more rugged and stable platform with much better battery life than Samsung and other's offerings.

Agree on the screen brightness issue. I usually bring an iPad with my when flying as well and the screen is barely readable at times; not sure how people use them if they have a bubble canopy. Not sure if some of the more recent iPad devices have fixed that problem or not.

Agree on the screen brightness issue. I usually bring an iPad with my when flying as well and the screen is barely readable at times; not sure how people use them if they have a bubble canopy. Not sure if some of the more recent iPad devices have fixed that problem or not.

That has been the bane of LCD screens from day one. The Air2 is better than iPad2 was though. Dedicated units wth sunlight viewable screens like 696 or 796 certainly have their appeal for this reason, and if I was flying regularly is what I would use.

Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, 64GB (32 on-board and 32 on a microSD) running Garmin Pilot for about 18 months now. No problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
Nexus 7 with Avare. Other than some OS problems that Android 6.0 has fixed, it's been very stable. Avare isn't as full featured as others, but I see that as a plus. I only use it for charts and plates. Works well with my Dual 170 for wx and traffic.

I have a 10 in, 7 in, and 5 in Android tablets and phone. The 10 in is too large, the 7 in perfect for the Ercoupe, and the 5 in on a wrist holder perfect in the Fly Baby.

I like the fact that all three have built in GPS and lock on instantly without external antenna.

I use Avare, and it doesn't come close to filling up a 16 G Android, even with a lot of states loaded.

Nexus 10 and I've had Avare (too cheap), Garmin Pilot(too expensive) and have settled with AvNav. Works best for me.

Nexus 7 2013 and Naviator with Seattle Avionics geo referenced approach plates.... I don't need anything else...

Asus MEMO 7" with latest iFly with XGPS 170 ADSB - works great.

Garmin pilot nexus tablets all day

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Check out Samsung's Amoled screen. It is better than any other tablet I have seen WRT sunlight readability.

I use it under a bubble canopy, without issue.

Choice of size is subject to the exact same considerations for an Android tablet as for an iPad. Once you get past reliability, the choice of EFB app is the same also - how well does the UI work for you. The good thing is they all have free trials.

I'm using an ASUS 7" tablet as an iPad backup.

Other than the free Avare and, I guess FltPlan Go! (which I think is still too clunky and unstable for anything other than VFR use), IMO, the four Android apps that one should seriously look at are, in alphabetical order:

AvNav EFB. It's only real downside is that it's the new kid on the block. I think the interface is one of the best for Android.

DroidEFB, previously known as FlightPro, originally known as Avilution (which I think was the best branding but no one listens to me). It has the longest longevity. It was the original Android EFB app. Still pretty strong, it's possible downside is its colorful past - which is part of the reason for the name changes.

Garmin Pilot. It's Garmin after all, so it will be around. And, if you have Garmin he the cockpit, the flow is similar, as is the UP if you have a Garmin touchscreen product. It also has the advantage of having both iOS and Android versions.

iFly GPS. Personally, I think this has the best interface of any of them, especially since it's customizable. A late entry to both iOS and Android, it has actually been around as a stand-alone unit since before the iPad, competing with the Garmin x96 handheld units.

I'm intentionally skipping WingX. As one of the two original iPad EFBs and probably as long as a pre-iOS history, it definitely has the potential to be one of the best. But despite best intentions and a recent revamp, it is still kind of crippled feature-wise.

AvNav EFB. It's only real downside is that it's the new kid on the block. I think the interface is one of the best for Android.

Nice!

I just installed AvNav EFB and tried a few of the functions and features. There is a lot there. Maybe more than documented...

I hadn't heard of the app before.

I've been a ForeFlight user for a long time, but I'm also an Android developer. I usually carry a Nexus 7 with FltplanGo as a backup.

I've been doing fair amount of local flying lately, working on my CFI cert. I was surprised to find that when flying on a bright sunny day wearing non-polarized sunglasses my Nexus 7 is FAR more visible than my non-retina iPad Mini.

The difference is dramatic.

I still will use FF for cross countries, but for local flights I now prefer the Nexus 7.

Hi everyone. I have a number of Android devices, Tab2 10 (compatibility / testing only), Tab3 and Tab4 7, LG phone and I only use Avare.
I've tested most others since the DOS days on Laptops Palm PCs etc. and I find Avare to be doing all the things I need for Navigation. IFR low high / VFR Charts, Plates IFR / VFR (AREA Chars / plate size), Terrain Elevation / Shaded relief, A/FDs, Topos for Canada,....
You can also Create (limited in size) and Geo reference your own Area chart from street maps, Topos, etc.,.. if you need a specific area that does not have the area you need / want.
It can also interface to some APs, Traffic, Wx, file Flight plans..

Here is a summary, not all features are included:
avare

Avare Aviation GPS for Android.
Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ds.avare&hl=en
Avare provides offline moving map on all FAA charts (VFR Sectional, IFR lo/hi enroute, Approach Plate, WAC & TAC); plus A/FD info, Airport Diagrams w/GPS Taxi, and Terminal Procedures.
Also included: GPS status, Terrain/Elevation Maps, 50 Nearest airports, Obstacles, and more. Some FAA Charts cover Puerto Rico, plus parts of Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.
Canadian topo moving maps and unofficial airport info are also now available and volunteers may add other countries.
Avare Advantages and Features:

• Made by & for pilots
  • Easy to learn & use
  • Quick & responsive
  • All free FAA materials & more
  • Runs on most Android devices
  • No ads or invasive permissions
More Features:

• Type in any address or coordinates.
  • METAR & TAF (Internet fetch).
  • ADSB NEXRAD, METAR, TAF, PIREP, Winds (free AddOn apps).
  • Graphic & text TFRs (Internet fetch).
  • Terrain maps & Canada topo, MSL & AGL display.
  • External GPS, autopilot and flite sim (free AddOn apps).
  • Obstacles: Any over 500' AGL within 200' of GPS altitude.
  • Frequencies, runways, fuel availability, & other A/FD info.
  • 13000+ Geo. referenced approach plates and taxi diagrams
  • Landscape or Portrait display Preference, North Up or Track Up (NU/TU).
  • Draw notes directly on-screen, or Pan freely around charts (Draw/Pan).
  • Press any two points on chart for approximate distance between them.
  • Location icon can be centered or track from your placement on screen.
  • GPS compass direction, Bearing, and Distance to and FROM any point on the map by long-pressing one finger on that point. Great for your ATC and CTAF radio calls.
  • Built in CAP (Civil Air Patrol) conventional grid system.
BUILDING: Checkout in Android Studio using File->New->Project From Version Control->GitHub. Give URL as https://github.com/apps4av/avare.git, then press Clone.
After Checkout is complete, press the Android Studio Toolbar button "Sync Project With Gradle Files".
RUNNING: Run in Android Studio on Emulator, or an actual device.

TV

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4") and have used Avare and FltPln Go. I like Garmin Pilot a lot, but don't have a real need for that kind of capability with the VFR-only flying I do. The screen works great and is as bright as I'd need, and having my entire music collection (30GB) on the microSD card is great. No complaints here.

I'm running Droid EFB on a 10" Asus Transformer pad. When Flight-Pro (the previous name for Droid EFB under different ownership) went through management problems and dropped updates, I tried Avare, Naviator and one other App but didn't like any of them compared to Droid EFB. Once the management issues were resolved and the original developers took over Droid EFB I jumped back to that App. The Asus Transformer has a Super bright IPS mode that makes the screen visible even when I open the shade under the skylight in my Maule. If you are flying with an Android Tablet, I don't think you can beat Droid EFB. It works perfectly with my Dual XGPS170 GPS + ADS-B receiver so I get weather and traffic on my tablet. The weather info worked all the way from Virginia to Washington State. The traffic info only shows up when another plane with ADS-B Out triggers the ground stations. That only happens around busy airspace with aircraft that have fully converted to ADS-B in and out capability.

I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S today. Both the ~8" and ~10" models look very good. And, they have a micro SD memory card slot for expansion.

Do any of the apps you folks have mentioned have a "profile view" -- I really wish that Seattle Avionics that has the FlyQ app, had ported it to Android. I have been using their Voyager application on Windows for a couple of years and it is awesome. Their products have the profile and integrated winds-aloft altitude planning built in.

I'm pretty sure iFlyGPS has a profile view. Don't know about the others because I haven't used it much in any of the apps or pre-tablet planners where it has been available.

Avare is a pain........just to build a flightplan takes a college degree.

???????

Fairly easy to me.
OK. more difficult than Skyvector, but orderS of magnitude easier than FltPlan-Go

Avare is my default on the tablet. Only thing I could ask for is a bigger screen --- but that's a hardware problem

Avare is a pain........just to build a flightplan takes a college degree.

???????

Fairly easy to me.
OK. more difficult than Skyvector, but orderS of magnitude easier than FltPlan-Go

Avare is my default on the tablet. Only thing I could ask for is a bigger screen --- but that's a hardware problem (present= Samsung Tab2 -7.0)

???????

Fairly easy to me.

Avare is my default on the tablet. Only thing I could ask for is a bigger screen --- but that's a hardware problem (present= Samsung Tab2 -7.0)

Try this in Avare. Boeing Field (KBFI) to Oakland (KOAK) on the victor airways.

Let me know how long it took. Avare might be nice (I've used it, Garmin, FltPlanGO,) VFR. But what a nightmare to build a flightplan. :yes:

I must be a dinosaur, because I build a flight plan for every flight. Direct is for diversions only.

To try and be fair I downloaded it yet again.......to try to see an improvement.:no:

AvNav is worth every penny of the $7.99/mo charge. Geo-referenced approach plates, the ability to superimpose an approach plate on any LO/HI enroute chart, sectional chart is great. Geo-referenced taxi diagrams as well.

It also has the instant ability to change the routing if you get a different approach. And it has victor airways support. AvNav also has the entire world airport database. So you can get direct NAV and ANY world weather. It doesn't have the world charts, however.

AvNav also supports most ADS-B in transmitters, including the homebuilt Stratux.

I wouldn't count on Avare, even if it were free!:lol:

Try this in Avare. Boeing Field (KBFI) to Oakland (KOAK) on the victor airways.

Let me know how long it took. Avare might be nice (I've used it, Garmin, FltPlanGO,) VFR. But what a nightmare to build a flightplan. :yes:

I must be a dinosaur, because I build a flight plan for every flight. Direct is for diversions only.

Why would you not fly GPS direct?

Why would you not fly GPS direct?

Try that in the LA basin!:rofl:

In a complex environment (San Francisco, Los Angeles,) being on an IFR flight plan greatly simplifies cockpit workload. Being on a flight plan which is used extensively (FltPlan.com, AvNAV... pulls these up with one tap) makes flying easier, safer, and more enjoyable..

Then there is no fumbling around changing things enroute......usually. That is why pilots get instrument ratings, to simplify their lives.

Direct is for diversions or novices.

Just scrolled quickly through the thread and didn't notice any mention of WingX as an EFB option. I've used WingX for the iPad and loved it. It's regularly rated as one of the big three EFBs (along with FF and Garmin Pilot). I still have it as a backup.

I can't help much with the hardware side.

Just scrolled quickly through the thread and didn't notice any mention of WingX as an EFB option. I've used WingX for the iPad and loved it. It's regularly rated as one of the big three EFBs (along with FF and Garmin Pilot). I still have it as a backup.
I mentioned it earlier. The current iteration of WingX Pro for Android is still very immature and lacks most of the functionality of its iOS sibling and the other available Android apps. But when/if it comes even close to parity, it should be great for those who like its UI.

Try that in the LA basin!:rofl:

In a complex environment (San Francisco, Los Angeles,) being on an IFR flight plan greatly simplifies cockpit workload. Being on a flight plan which is used extensively (FltPlan.com, AvNAV... pulls these up with one tap) makes flying easier, safer, and more enjoyable..

Then there is no fumbling around changing things enroute......usually. That is why pilots get instrument ratings, to simplify their lives.

Direct is for diversions or novices.
Well... I also plan routes using FltPlan.com and other sources that give me recently cleared ATC routes...

...but in some parts of the country, those happen to be either Direct or mostly Direct.

From FltPlan.com:

attachment.php

I see no reason to go out of my way to avoid them (although in this particular case I actually don't file direct). Making things more complicated than needed is for novices ;) and training.

Attachments

• temp1.PNG
    temp1.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 115
I mentioned it earlier. The current iteration of WingX Pro for Android is still very immature and lacks most of the functionality of its iOS sibling and the other available Android apps. But when/if it comes even close to parity, it should be great for those who like its UI.

Thanks. I didn't know that it was not at parity with the iOS version. I'll have to stop recommending it so highly to 'droid users as I just did in another thread. :D

Back