Android Aviation Apps?

I'm beginning to think if my Andriod as more of a mini computer than a phone. That said, should I be cleaning old file on occasion like it use E cleaner on my PC?
Is there an antivirus/malware program y'all are happy with?
I've also had trouble getting rid of apps I didn't want that won't erase. How do I eliminate them?

Thanks,

Dave

1. You don't need antivirus
2. To remove programs (completely), use "manage applications" from settings. Apps can't write to any location on the device that the manage applications section won't remove, except on the SD card. (unless you've rooted your device and installed an app as superuser.
3. To clean up the SD card, you can either use the built in file manager (that Apple lacks....) or you can download Astro File Manager, which will allow you to do it too.

Android is very simple to maintain, and doesn't take a whole lot of work to keep it up.

3. To clean up the SD card, you can either use the built in file manager (that Apple lacks....) or you can download Astro File Manager, which will allow you to do it too.

I can hear Steve... "If you need a file manager, you're doing it wrong."

(he actually said something to that effect about having a task manager.)

I can hear Steve... "If you need a file manager, you're doing it wrong."

(he actually said something to that effect about having a task manager.)

I don't get it - how do you get files off your SD card on your iDevice without a file manager? Or, how do you open a PDF from your SD card?

I don't get it - how do you get files off your SD card on your iDevice without a file manager? Or, how do you open a PDF from your SD card?

You speak "Siri, show list of pdf files" then you tap the file you want with your finger. :lol:

Thanks Nick!
Let me give an example. I have a couple of apps I've tried every which was to get rid of. Something called Nova which I actually tried and can't uninstall and NASCAR which was installed by Sprint. I've tried dragging them off and they don't go. I've tried settings; applications; manage applications; clear data. It shows cleared but the icon still shows when in applications.

Dave

I'm beginning to think if my Andriod as more of a mini computer than a phone. That said, should I be cleaning old file on occasion like it use E cleaner on my PC?
Is there an antivirus/malware program y'all are happy with?
I've also had trouble getting rid of apps I didn't want that won't erase. How do I eliminate them?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, put Lookout on your phone for anti-virus and it will scan all new apps before they get installed (after download).

For shutting down running apps to improve performance and reduce battery use, I use Ayal's Task Killer Pro, but there are lots of choices.

Thanks Nick!
Let me give an example. I have a couple of apps I've tried every which was to get rid of. Something called Nova which I actually tried and can't uninstall and NASCAR which was installed by Sprint. I've tried dragging them off and they don't go. I've tried settings; applications; manage applications; clear data. It shows cleared but the icon still shows when in applications.

Dave

Dave,

Yeah, those pre-installed apps from the phone vendor are a pain. Short of rooting your phone, there's no way to uninstall them. Verizon phones have the same issue. Did these vendors not learn from lawsuits against Microsoft about "bundled apps you can't remove"? :dunno: :nono:

Running antivirus on a smartphone is like wearing a condom after your wife/girlfriend is pregnant. Sure, it give additional protection, but at what cost?

I feel the same about Windows Mobile, and they're actually prone to virii.

Thanks Nick!

Dave

You can't uninstall all apps that came with the device, unfortunately, without rooting your device. It drives me crazy, but it is what it is.

But - try the following:

Settings; applications; manage applications; Nova; then click "Uninstall" at the top? Or is uninstall greyed out?

Running antivirus on a smartphone is like wearing a condom after your wife/girlfriend is pregnant. Sure, it give additional protection, but at what cost?

I feel the same about Windows Mobile, and they're actually prone to virii.

Bad analogy, Nick. Concern here is infected people sneaking through the window when you're not in the room and giving your phone (wife) a disease.

Bad analogy, Nick. Concern here is infected people sneaking through the window when you're not in the room and giving your phone (wife) a disease.

Continuing the analogy then, putting antivirus on a smartphone would be like putting electrified bars on your windows, getting a dog, feeding it gunpowder, and fencing in the yard, with a guard tower on each corner, even though you live in a nice area, because there is an infected person out there that might (but probably won't) infect your wife.

Unless she's rooted. Then I'm not sure.

Continuing the analogy then, putting antivirus on a smartphone would be like putting electrified bars on your windows, getting a dog, feeding it gunpowder, and fencing in the yard, with a guard tower on each corner, even though you live in a nice area, because there is an infected person out there that might (but probably won't) infect your wife.

Unless she's rooted. Then I'm not sure.

What happens if the dog farts? :rofl:

I'm just saying that the Android app market doesn't have code reviewed the same way Apple does before it puts stuff in their store. Much easier for someone to put infected or otherwise malicious code out there that you then download.

I'm an Android user, and have not had an issue yet, knock on wood, but it's my opinion that it's still smart to protect yourself. That starts with being careful about what you download, of course.

What happens if the dog farts? :rofl:

I'm just saying that the Android app market doesn't have code reviewed the same way Apple does before it puts stuff in their store. Much easier for someone to put infected or otherwise malicious code out there that you then download.

I'm an Android user, and have not had an issue yet, knock on wood, but it's my opinion that it's still smart to protect yourself. That starts with being careful about what you download, of course.
Yeah, that's the key. It isn't a virus, and won't be flagged as such, if it requests all your passwords and full internet access and you provide them and it sends them to a website. The question is whether you trust the vendor of the software. Now you may trust Apple to do that vetting for you, or you may not.

I just found this thread and I'm very surprised how little love AviationMaps is getting. For those asking about writing down clearances, AviationMaps has a flight pad section with a scratch section, but also a departure and arrival section where fields are set up to record atis, taxi instructions, clearances, as well as having quick access to frequencies and procedures. I was pleased to find out when my route clearance was different than filed it prompted me if I wanted to include the clearance in my flight plan.

I haven't tried the other moving map apps for android but reader through reviews and descriptions it really seems to be the best.

You can't uninstall all apps that came with the device, unfortunately, without rooting your device. It drives me crazy, but it is what it is.

But - try the following:

Settings; applications; manage applications; Nova; then click "Uninstall" at the top? Or is uninstall greyed out?

No uninstall option is displayed. Others are all greyed out: Force Stop; Cancel; clear data; move to SD card; clear cache; clear defaults.

In addition, NASCAR repeatedly tries to update. IT DON'T WANT IT!

Sorry,

Dave

No uninstall option is displayed. Others are all greyed out: Force Stop; Cancel; clear data; move to SD card; clear cache; clear defaults.

In addition, NASCAR repeatedly tries to update. IT DON'T WANT IT!

Sorry,

Dave

Ahh.....just like the NASCAR app, this looks like its a preinstalled app....I presume you have the HTC Evo 4G?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/55881

You can't uninstall those apps without being root. Its the most annoying thing in the world, but everyone's doing it now (Apple, Windows, and Android alike).

I suspect, after reading as much as I have about the Nova app, that Sprint will probably remove it in a future release. Sorry, man.

I appreciate your trying to help Nick! At least I know now.
remember when they used to put all those junk apps on home computers? I used to either reformat the C drive before using, or purchase through someone that would give me the software, but not install anything but what I requested. If enough folks demanded it, they'd stop, but they get away with it and it continues.

Best,'

Dave

Ahh.....just like the NASCAR app, this looks like its a preinstalled app....I presume you have the HTC Evo 4G?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/55881

You can't uninstall those apps without being root. Its the most annoying thing in the world, but everyone's doing it now (Apple, Windows, and Android alike).

I suspect, after reading as much as I have about the Nova app, that Sprint will probably remove it in a future release. Sorry, man.
Which third-party applications on my iPhone can I not remove?

Yeah, I found it about the time my actual HP48S gave up on life...Very happy!

My need ended about the time of the 41CX, which I still use. Decades ago I wrote a program for it that calculated the weight and balance for a king air 200. The FAA even approved it for use Pt135.

Somewhere up in the attic I still have a brand new 41CX that I bought for a spare......but have still never needed it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I picked up a B&N Nook Tablet on Wednesday.

I have managed to sideload Naviator, but I still have to get an SD card to load all the data. So, I can't report on how it works yet. I do like the Nook a bunch though.

I did try one of the digital enroute charts in the pdf viewer and it looked great.

There is no SD card! (I bet you were waiting for that so you could rail on the iPhone for not having an SD card...)

Carriers aren't allowed to install additional apps on the iPhone.

In addition, while you can't delete the Apple-supplied apps from the iPhone, they're things that are actually useful (calculator, note pad, calendar, etc) as opposed to something like the NASCAR app that Dave is forced to keep that's only useful if you're a NASCAR fan.

remember when they used to put all those junk apps on home computers? I used to either reformat the C drive before using, or purchase through someone that would give me the software, but not install anything but what I requested. If enough folks demanded it, they'd stop, but they get away with it and it continues.

They still do - And now, it's an extra-cost option to get them to not do it! See, they saw the demand and figured out a way to make extra money off of it... Sigh.

Now there's one more Android App....

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.operationfly

Operation: Fly, mobile. It removes the need to carry around a camera and a claim sheet to claim airports now. Now you can just take a picture from your mobile device and submit. It does require data to submit from the phone, but it stores the claim photo to your SD card so it can be submitted later from a computer.

Bias disclaimer: I wrote the app.

Operation: Fly, mobile. It removes the need to carry around a camera and a claim sheet to claim airports now. Now you can just take a picture from your mobile device and submit. It does require data to submit from the phone, but it stores the claim photo to your SD card so it can be submitted later from a computer.

That's great, Nick! I'll need to download that app so I can give it a spin!

It's incompatible with my Samsung... bummer.

Ryan

Got it installed and checked out. Now to fly to some unclaimed airports around here. There are still a few.

Is there an iPhone version? :devil:

Unfortunately, no. But, if I ever get the money to spend on an Apple development environment, maybe someday.

Android costs $25 to develop for. I could swallow that without checking with the wife :)

SPH-M820-BST - Thanks.

Ryan

Says its unsupported due to manifest settings....the manifest asks for the following features:

Modify/Delete SD Card Contents
GPS Location
Internet Access
Camera

Does that device lack one of those options?

Says its unsupported due to manifest settings....the manifest asks for the following features:

Modify/Delete SD Card Contents
GPS Location
Internet Access
Camera

Does that device lack one of those options?
No... That's weird. I can take pictures, the GPS works awesome, and the SD card and internet work fine.

Ryan

Back