...And Comcast gets the last laugh

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So - I just got off the phone with Michelle Duran, the HR Manager for Comcast in Albuquerque. She let me know that mono isn't "Really a very serious illness" and that if I do not report to work tonight, I will no longer have a job.

Excellent. Funny thing is, my 2 week notice would expire tomorrow.....

SkyHog said:
So - I just got off the phone with Michelle Duran, the HR Manager for Comcast in Albuquerque. She let me know that mono isn't "Really a very serious illness" and that if I do not report to work tonight, I will no longer have a job.

What a nice bunch to work with!! :rolleyes: How about go up there an lick all the spoons in the breakroom ha .. i kid i kid.

Go in, give her a big wet kiss, and thank her oh so sincerely for her sage medical advice!

SkyHog said:

Sounds like an employer I know.

Were it me, I'd make sure I'd go into the office early and sit down in her office for a nice long chat. Either that, or take a doctor's letter.

wsuffa said:
Either that, or take a doctor's letter.

"As impressive as the doctor's note is, unless your condition qualifies as an FMLA case, we cannot make exceptions to our attendance rule."

Yet another reason that I wish they had not bought Suscom. : (

Missa

Eat Taco Bell for breakfast, lunch, and dinner three straight days.
Go to work.
Take a dump in your desk drawer after.
Lock the drawer.
Never come back.

ooh - and another update from Comcast. The workforce team that handles scheduling is willing to work with my schedule now to accomodate school. Which was my demand for not quitting....of couse, once again, if I don't go in tonight, I don't have a job.

I am tempted to go in tonight, throw up (intentionally missing trash cans), pass out on my bosses desk, and totally make them sorry.

Except that would be way too much work for me, since I can barely sit up for more than 15 minutes before my body shuts down.

SkyHog said:
"As impressive as the doctor's note is, unless your condition qualifies as an FMLA case, we cannot make exceptions to our attendance rule."

"Can you spell "lawsuit"?"

Mono is highly contagious. I'll bet there is case law to support not infecting the rest of the office.

Then again, they might be that stupid. Sounds like another company I know of...

wsuffa said:
"Can you spell "lawsuit"?"

Mono is highly contagious. I'll bet there is case law to support not infecting the rest of the office.

Then again, they might be that stupid. Sounds like another company I know of...

Heh. Yeah. I got her to put in the paperwork for FMLA, just in case they approve it. You never know.

This is the biggest load of CRAP! Mono not serious? When I had it I thought I was gonna die I could't even lift my head from the freaking pillow. F them I am cancelling my subscription. Wait I don't have cable ok I'm getting the DISH then. What turds.

Ya know what Nick call the company medical director. What Asses.

Sounds like the HR director needs to be named in a lawsuit for practicing medicine without a license!

SkyHog said:

So you're facing getting sacked on your last day? Brilliant.

Go to work you lazy slacker. Just make sure you eat something spectacularly nasty then bottoms up on half a bottle of ipecac just before getting out of your car. :D Then walk to your bosses desk, or better yet, the HR wizards desk. Stand there glassy eyed for a few seconds then calmly, yet violently, yack your shoes up all over them and politely ask if you can go home now. Keep the other half of the bottle handy just in case they're excessively hard headed about the whole situation.

I've worked for dirtbag mobsters like that before. I remember people going to work and seeing people throwing up in the trash can and keep working lest they lose their jobs. Even low life scum of the earth is better than those power hungry dictators.

fgcason said:
So you're facing getting sacked on your last day? Brilliant.

Go to work you lazy slacker. Just make sure you eat something spectacularly nasty then bottoms up on half a bottle of ipecac just before getting out of your car. :D Then walk to your bosses desk, or better yet, the HR wizards desk. Stand there glassy eyed for a few seconds then calmly, yet violently, yack your shoes up all over them and politely ask if you can go home now. Keep the other half of the bottle handy just in case they're excessively hard headed about the whole situation.

I've worked for dirtbag mobsters like that before. I remember people going to work and seeing people throwing up in the trash can and keep working lest they lose their jobs. Even low life scum of the earth is better than those power hungry dictators.

Now we are getting crafty!! :D

I knew there was a viable reason I have refered to them as CommiCast the last few years.
Nick, I had mono about 15 years ago and could barely get out of the sack the day I decided to go to the doc. If you have the strength, go to work. You'll be face down in less time it takes someone to call the ambulance to carry you to the hospital. After that, I'd be contacting one of those blood suckers that advertise on late late night t.v. talking about personal injury (all this and I've never sued anyone in all my 39 years).
Good luck!

Darrell111 said:
What a nice bunch to work with!! :rolleyes: How about go up there an lick all the spoons in the breakroom ha .. i kid i kid.

that's a good idea - as long as it's hers. unbelievable.

Knowing Comcast, I would then be fired for not answering the call that came in while I was passed out on the desk.

O.K., here's the fix. PM me the direct line to your desk (or 800 number and extension if it's a nation wide number) and I'll give you a call. Just put the receiver down and take a nap. I'll keep the phone off the hook from my end and all is well! Just explain it was was a REALLY difficult problem to solve when the look at the timers.

Missa said:
Yet another reason that I wish they had not bought Suscom. : (

Missa
I'm thinking the same thing in Maine. September 06, 2006 is the "Comcast takes over the suscom-maine.net," et cetera, day.

HR

Nick - go to work. Pass out and have to be taken out by ambulance. It would make great news - especially when you tell them that you were told to come in or be fired.....maybe get all in the office quarantined too.

when do you have to decide? and can she really be serious that she'd fire you one day before your two weeks' notice was up?? isn't that really childish on her part? you've already quit!

I wonder if you get fired in this manner would make you eligible for unemployment - which they would have to pay. heh heh heh.

SkyHog said:
Knowing Comcast, I would then be fired for not answering the call that came in while I was passed out on the desk.
Nick, have the doc point out how contagious it really is, and that she has liability to the other workers....that oughta do it.

bbchien said:
Nick, have the doc point out how contagious it really is, and that she has liability to the other workers....that oughta do it.

And when you hand her that cough a lot, especially on the poaper you are handing her. Make sure you cover you mouth a few times when coughing and then offer to shake her hand as you leave.

:D:yes::D:eek:

Nick,

Looks like you may need to move to Zimbabwe and claim your sick days ;)

HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) -- Tribal healers, often known as witch doctors, are to be permitted to give patients official sick days recognized by employers, the state media reported Wednesday.
Deputy Health Minister Edwin Maguti told a gathering of traditional healers and herbalists that only members of the 1,500-strong state-approved Traditional Medical Practitioners Council would be allowed to grant sick leave of up to a week, The Herald newspaper, a government mouthpiece, said.
As government health services crumble in the ailing economy, the move was part of efforts to improve the collaboration of traditional healers in providing health care.
Maguti said medical doctors would also be encouraged to refer patients to traditional healers for additional treatments.

I know you have a lot going on and just need to rest up and get through this. Take things one step at a time and do what your doctor says.

In most states there is a department of labor; they protect folks like you when you don't get paid and for other clearly unfair matters. I had a firm not pay me once; just kept dinking with me for over a month. Large Wall Street firm that went through a merger. I called the Department of Labor and filled out a form--had to proved the money was owed and I was a commissoned salesman with commission reciepts; less than a week later I had a check and a real big guy from management called and apologized in kind of a bewildered state.

Turned out the department told them if the complaint wasn't addressed promptly, they would remove their license to have branches in the entire state. The department had a lot of other complaints and just drew the line with my complaint.

Just something to think about with folks that are being completely unreasonable when you feel better.

Best,

Dave

Comcast is pretty big - why not write a letter to the editor - do you have anything in writing? better yet, ASK this HR person to provide you this in writing - that she will fire you, etc.

or email it to her and ask for confirmation.

Yeah, thats not a bad idea...

"Ok, so I have a highly contagious, serious medical condition, as attested to by a qualified physician, but you are threatening to terminate me if I don't show up, in disregard of that qualified opinion.

Please provide that in writing, and I strongly recommend you consult with the legal department before you do."

Granted, you send that and you had better start job hunting cause in 6 months you'll be gone, but it will provide an interesting response in the meantime... :)

There's always YouTube. 5 minutes of fame. Might even get featured on Keith Olbermann.... :rolleyes:

Got any reporter friends?.. one call from a "news outlet" asking questions about a report of the company hiding a mono outbreak outta do it.

Yow - I had mono years ago. After the initial few days of not being able to get out of bed, I had a sore throat for about a week that I wouldn't wish on anybody.

No way I could drive anywhere the first week, but if they insist, get a ride. I'm guessing 7-10 days later they'll have a different policy. See? You CAN make a difference!

Hey Nick, you think you have (had) it bad...

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/anchorage/story/8162970p-8055780c.html

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=+1]Strippers fight for back pay[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]Clubs deny failure to follow state wage laws in paying women[/SIZE][/FONT]
2256906-sty.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Being an "adult entertainer" is a physical job that demands the legally required pay, says Jennifer Prater. The 33-year-old is one of three women who have sued Crazy Horse and Fantasies on 5th Avenue strip clubs, claiming the employers haven't followed state wage laws and owe them money. (Photo by MARC LESTER / Anchorage Daily News)[/FONT]

pixel.gif

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]By MEGAN HOLLAND
Anchorage Daily News
pixel.gif

(Published: September 6, 2006) [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]"Brooke" knows how to wrap her legs around a pole. She knows how to peel evening gowns off her 5-foot, 10-inch body while swaying to pulsating beats. And, she can do acrobatic moves while straddling a fully clothed customer.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]But this longtime stripper says she also knows a thing or two about the Alaska Wage and Hour Act.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]Now "Brooke," whose real name is Shanna Thornton, is suing her former employers at the Anchorage strip clubs Fantasies on 5th Avenue and Crazy Horse.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]She, along with two other dancers, say the club owners are not following state laws and that they are owed back pay related to minimum wage, overtime and fees they had to pay the clubs.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]The dancers' lawyer says he wants to make it a class action lawsuit. [/SIZE][/FONT]

alaskaflyer said:
Hey Nick, you think you have (had) it bad...

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/anchorage/story/8162970p-8055780c.html

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=+1]Strippers fight for back pay[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]Clubs deny failure to follow state wage laws in paying women[/SIZE][/FONT]
2256906-sty.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Being an "adult entertainer" is a physical job that demands the legally required pay, says Jennifer Prater. The 33-year-old is one of three women who have sued Crazy Horse and Fantasies on 5th Avenue strip clubs, claiming the employers haven't followed state wage laws and owe them money. (Photo by MARC LESTER / Anchorage Daily News)[/FONT]

pixel.gif

[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]By MEGAN HOLLAND
Anchorage Daily News
pixel.gif

(Published: September 6, 2006) [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]"Brooke" knows how to wrap her legs around a pole. She knows how to peel evening gowns off her 5-foot, 10-inch body while swaying to pulsating beats. And, she can do acrobatic moves while straddling a fully clothed customer.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]But this longtime stripper says she also knows a thing or two about the Alaska Wage and Hour Act.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]Now "Brooke," whose real name is Shanna Thornton, is suing her former employers at the Anchorage strip clubs Fantasies on 5th Avenue and Crazy Horse.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]She, along with two other dancers, say the club owners are not following state laws and that they are owed back pay related to minimum wage, overtime and fees they had to pay the clubs.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-1]The dancers' lawyer says he wants to make it a class action lawsuit. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Those anywhere near PJ's? Or is that place long gone? :D

Why get upset about it? You work on the front line for a large company. You will get screwed all the time. Seems to me like the best solution would consist of "I quit" and walking out right now.

I highly doubt you are going to have an issue getting another job. If they *really* want to talk to your former supervisor. Give them my cell phone number, I'll be your supervisor....Yes, Nick was my most valued employee. It was really too bad to see him go. I do understand though why he would want to pursue bigger and better things.

Really--It's that simple.

Last edited:
If they werent paying sounds like she's got a good case there. Why not, she sues, waits a while, and will most likely get paid.

A job is a job ............. right? haha

jangell said:
Really--It's that simple.

Man, I really wish it was. Time to get a bit personal (mostly because I'm on percocet right now). I currently make $17 an hour, reason being that I transferred down from the New England office where cost of living is much higher, and Albuquerque Comcast didn't want to drop my salary. In Albuquerque, for a entry level, customer service position, that is unheard of.

So - I leave and choose ANY other job in ANY other field and I'm below $10 an hour again, possibly even below $8/hour. I don't even remember how much it sucks to make that little.

And I complain because it has been 1 thing after another for nearly 2 years with this company. This may just be God's way of telling me to leave tho. It'd suck losing all the money, but I suppose I'll learn to live off it again given enough time.:dunno:

SkyHog said:
So - I leave and choose ANY other job in ANY other field and I'm below $10 an hour again, possibly even below $8/hour. I don't even remember how much it sucks to make that little.

And I complain because it has been 1 thing after another for nearly 2 years with this company. This may just be God's way of telling me to leave tho. It'd suck losing all the money, but I suppose I'll learn to live off it again given enough time.:dunno:

Or it may be God's way of telling you to suck it up, finish school (hopefully in a decent paying field), and then tell Comcast to stick it. Then (depending on field), you can pick where in the country you want to live, and step sideways (or hopefully increase your pay) when you bug out.

My brother made about $11.50 out of college for four years, then sucked it up and went back to school, got his MBA, now makes $60/hr. But, he was poor during that time and had some loans to pay back. Ain't nothin' free.

SkyHog said:
I currently make $17 an hour, reason being that I transferred down from the New England office where cost of living is much higher, and Albuquerque Comcast didn't want to drop my salary. In Albuquerque, for a entry level, customer service position, that is unheard of.

And this may be some of the source of grief you've gotten from your supervisors. It may be very likely that you came in at a higher pay rate than your boss. BTDT, it creates friction, and crap rolls downhill.

SkyHog said:

Mono sucks... I'd try to get everyone sick that I could. (Like mentioned earlier). :)

Back