...And Comcast gets the last laugh

A very wise man once told me.....

"You don't have to have all kinds of money to be happy.........Just choose friends that have about what you do."

Which is such a true statement. Some people make me feel extremely poor whereas others make me feel extremely rich. As terrible as this all sounds..It's not always easy to watch someone else have so much more than you...To watch some people have everything even though they earned none of it..and had it all handed to them.

Some people simply get ****ed off and feel sorry for themselves. The people that are going to get somewhere though use this to motivate them.

Motivation equals success.

Everyone needs to figure out what success means to them. Do they want financial success? Do they want to simply live an average life and have a great family? If you want to fly airplanes for your whole life...Finanical success is going to be a pretty large factor.

Otherwise..If you want to live a happy life the easy way...Simply choose friends that make the same amount of money as you.

Abraham Lincoln would have never run for president if he would have gotten a federal judgeship (for which he was turned down). I wouldn't be where I am if several folks I had sought employment from years ago had hired me.

Sometimes, things happen for a reason. It's obvious you don't fit there long term; don't lose the war over one battle. Think through what you need, stay until you fulfill it and move on with your life.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Abraham Lincoln would have never run for president if he would have gotten a federal judgeship (for which he was turned down). I wouldn't be where I am if several folks I had sought employment from years ago had hired me.

Best,

Dave
After rotating out of the service and finishing college, I was turned down twice by the FBI. The reason? I had "blood on my hands" due to my prior military profession and the FBI didn't want any of that in the Fumbling Bumbling Idiots cabbage patch.

But what didn't work for the FBI was exactly what my first boss in the U.S. Marshals Service wanted. He absolutely loved hiring former commandos because he wanted the combination of brains (which the FBI does have) and brawn (which only the FBI women usually have) combined with proven individual bravery (which started becoming non-existent after JEH died).

What I learned and did and the contacts I made in the following years are DIRECTLY responsible for hooking up with the three other equal-share partners I have in our security consulting business--which after less than five years is thriving beyond everyone's expectations.

So, if Comcast wants to screw you, think hard--real damned hard--about what you know and have learned about not only their business, but THE business. See who wants to buy some of that. If you worked in customer service, same thing goes--see who wants to buy some of your experience and skill. See what skill sets you have that overlap.

Finish school by all means. That combined with experience will open doors and expand horizons of opportunity. Take the BS you're choking on from Comcast and put it in a box. Make it your mojo and everytime you're tempted to quit school or find a reason for NOT moving forward, take that Comcast mojo out and let it motivate you to work your ass of three times as hard.

It will pay off in time. It will pay off.

-JD

CowboyPilot said:
After rotating out of the service and finishing college, I was turned down twice by the FBI. The reason? I had "blood on my hands" due to my prior military profession and the FBI didn't want any of that in the Fumbling Bumbling Idiots cabbage patch.

But what didn't work for the FBI was exactly what my first boss in the U.S. Marshals Service wanted. He absolutely loved hiring former commandos because he wanted the combination of brains (which the FBI does have) and brawn (which only the FBI women usually have) combined with proven individual bravery (which started becoming non-existent after JEH died).

What I learned and did and the contacts I made in the following years are DIRECTLY responsible for hooking up with the three other equal-share partners I have in our security consulting business--which after less than five years is thriving beyond everyone's expectations.

So, if Comcast wants to screw you, think hard--real damned hard--about what you know and have learned about not only their business, but THE business. See who wants to buy some of that. If you worked in customer service, same thing goes--see who wants to buy some of your experience and skill. See what skill sets you have that overlap.

Finish school by all means. That combined with experience will open doors and expand horizons of opportunity. Take the BS you're choking on from Comcast and put it in a box. Make it your mojo and everytime you're tempted to quit school or find a reason for NOT moving forward, take that Comcast mojo out and let it motivate you to work your ass of three times as hard.

It will pay off in time. It will pay off.

-JD

That is some kick-butt advice!! I like how you think. I am friggin motivated to conquer the world - a little bit at a time.

Thanks for sharing....

-Chris

Good luck, bra..... (as the y say in Hawaiii)

F Comcast! It's a really, really long life, unless you get spiked by a stingray. Don't spend it miserable!

SkyHog said:
So - I leave and choose ANY other job in ANY other field and I'm below $10 an hour again, possibly even below $8/hour. I don't even remember how much it sucks to make that little.

And I complain because it has been 1 thing after another for nearly 2 years with this company. This may just be God's way of telling me to leave tho. It'd suck losing all the money, but I suppose I'll learn to live off it again given enough time.:dunno:

I'm blessed to work in the IT department at a company I love (finally)--Fidelity Investments. My manager is a great coach, and his manager (my boss' boss) is a fellow IFR pilot.

Anyway, he's always suggesting books to me, and letting me expense them. I got one today, in which the author espouses the benefits of practicing personal accountability, and what it said on page 76 struck home with me not only when I first read it (because I've been where you are now), but also when I read what you wrote above. I offer the following for your consideration:

QBQ by John G. Miller said:
Here's an integrity test for anyone who's part of an organization: Does what we say about our organization while we're at work match what we say at home? If it's positive at work and negative a few hours later at home, we have a choice to make. Here's an idea we should all consider:

Believe or leave.

Sound harsh? Maybe. But if the organization is no longer a vehicle to help us reach our life goals, why would we stay?

Answering that question honestly is part of practicing personal accountability.

Good luck, Nick... you're gonna be WAY happier when you leave that hell hole.

Nick,

Lemme know if you want a referral to a job with the competition. Email me or PM me.

Troy Whistman said:
Originally Posted by QBQ by John G. Miller, page 76

Here's an integrity test for anyone who's part of an organization: Does what we say about our organization while we're at work match what we say at home? If it's positive at work and negative a few hours later at home, we have a choice to make. Here's an idea we should all consider:

Believe or leave.

Sound harsh? Maybe. But if the organization is no longer a vehicle to help us reach our life goals, why would we stay?

Answering that question honestly is part of practicing personal accountability.

I've lived my life by that creed. It's caused me some tight times in the past, but always let me feel good about myself and my work.

So, Nick, on the 5th you said you were going to get canned if you didn't go to work that night. I might have missed it, but I didn't see a message telling us what happened--did you go in?

How are you feeling, bud, any better?

Nick:

Sorry to learn of your discomfort, that thrust upon the problems with the professional life. From the descriptions, I don't want to tangle with mononucleosis. However, I did have one quasi-pleasant association with the malady.

I was performing in Music Man("Ewart Dunlop") when, during the last weeks of the production, one of the "Salesmen" was diagnosed with mono.
The doctor said, "house confinement - two weeks").

At brush rehearsal I read his part. At evening's end I'd been designated to do the extra role. Now, lemme tell ya -pilgrim, that was some fast costume changing. From the Pullman(opening) scene's blackout, en route to the right -wing dressing room, one costume was shed: jacket off, tie removed, shoes kicked into the distance, "Harold Hill" was unbuttoning/removing my shirt, an actress was removing my trousers -- revealing another shirt, and trousers.
Another necktie went on, different hat, pull on the western boots, and -- while tieing "Ewart's" storekeeper's apron to my body -- "cheated" in from Stage-right, about 8 bars into the full-company production number, Iowa Stubborn. That's as close as I've ever been to mono, and I hope to keep it that way.
Get well, soon.

HR

Troy Whistman said:
So, Nick, on the 5th you said you were going to get canned if you didn't go to work that night. I might have missed it, but I didn't see a message telling us what happened--did you go in?

How are you feeling, bud, any better?

No, I didn't go in, but I did get FMLA paperwork filed, so I'm in a pending status as of right now. I guess the state makes the decision now??

And while not good, I feel much better. No more 104-105 temps, and no more waking up in the middle of the day/night to shake for 3 hours.

SkyHog said:
No, I didn't go in, but I did get FMLA paperwork file

I thought the Family Medical Leave Act was so that an employee could take time off to care for a family member not themselves...that sick time, vacation time, short term disability and long term disability were for when an employee themself is ill.

Len

SkyHog said:
And while not good, I feel much better. No more 104-105 temps, and no more waking up in the middle of the day/night to shake for 3 hours.

Nick, sorry to hear of your illness. I had mono in highschool, thought I would die. All I remember (after being out the first week) was getting up, going to school, come home in the afternoon, go to bed. Get up for dinner, then go back to bed. For weeks and weeks...

Len Lanetti said:
I thought the Family Medical Leave Act was so that an employee could take time off to care for a family member not themselves...that sick time, vacation time, short term disability and long term disability were for when an employee themself is ill.

Len

I thought so too, aparantly, Comcast has a different opinion, and there is a girl with chronic headaches on FMLA at work, so somehow it works. I dunno. I just hope I still work there.

SkyHog said:
I just hope I still work there.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that statement?! ;-)

Nick, look at Eclipse Aviation in ABQ... maybe they'd like a pilot familiar with what customer service really means to do customer service phone rep work.

SkyHog said:
I thought so too, aparantly, Comcast has a different opinion, and there is a girl with chronic headaches on FMLA at work, so somehow it works. I dunno. I just hope I still work there.
From the I Learn Something New Every Day file...according to the Department of Labor website www.dol.gov

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Synopsis of Law

Covered employers must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for one or more of the following reasons:
  • for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee;
  • for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;
  • to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
  • to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.

A highly contagious disease which carries a potential complication of a ruptured spleen sounds serious to me...but I'm not a doctor.

Then again, neither is the HR person...

Len Lanetti said:

Len

FMLA actually has a few reasons you can take off. For YOUR health, to care for a family member due to health reasons, birth or adoption of a child and there is one more that I can't recall.

Most companies do not pay for FMLA, but if you meet the minimum criteria for hours worked it is pretty hard to deny FMLA by most companies. The company CAN require a doctors statement that you need to be off work though before "granting" it.

This is an FMLA case. Go to DOL and read about FMLA. The employer
has no choice. You're under a doctors care and the doctor has told
you that you had to be gone for more than 3 consecutive days. You are
entitled to 120 days FMLA leave per year. It's the law.

SkyHog said:
So - I just got off the phone with Michelle Duran, the HR Manager for Comcast in Albuquerque. She let me know that mono isn't "Really a very serious illness" and that if I do not report to work tonight, I will no longer have a job.

Excellent. Funny thing is, my 2 week notice would expire tomorrow.....

Back