Anchorage to Florida

Steven Untet

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
88Echo
What route would everyone take to get from Anchorage to Florida? I know which way I would go just want to get the opinions.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What route would everyone take to get from Anchorage to Florida? I know which way I would go just want to get the opinions.
Thanks

What airplane? Range? Endurance?

Last edited:
First, "follow the highway": Anchorage -> Tok -> Whitehorse -> Watson Lake -> Fort Nelson. Once you're into the Prairies, it's any way ya please, wide open country with a gazillion options. Visit people along the way. Find cool camping airports. Look for cheap fuel and airport eats...

On the way up there, we mostly joined the AlCan highway. On the way home we flew the trench. (CYQH, CVXS, CYGE, CYQL KGTF). I enjoyed the trench route more, but there were more mountains, if that bothers you.

But if you want to listen to someone that knows what they are talking about, listen to @kath

img_0241-png.64216

First, "follow the highway": Anchorage -> Tok -> Whitehorse -> Watson Lake -> Fort Nelson.
That worked for my brother and I in a Cessna 120 (A couple stops in between what you list), but we stopped near Detroit and didn't follow I-75 all the way to Florida.

Thanks

depends. when? how much time alloted? stuff you want to see? round trip or one-way? too vague a question.

Unless you have the range, the ALCAN highway is really the only option until one gets into the more densely populated area in Southern Canada. Then the issue is more whether you want to sightsee or make a beeline for Florida.

I have the range so would do PAKT YZT TOU KHQM. No customs to deal with because it’s non stop, 600nm. Coastal route should be scenic, of course an engine failure would likely end in the water, so appropriate precautions are required.

Probably not an issue, but remember that Canada doesn't like BasicMed.

I have the range so would do PAKT YZT TOU KHQM. No customs to deal with because it’s non stop, 600nm. Coastal route should be scenic, of course an engine failure would likely end in the water, so appropriate precautions are required.

I have done the coastal route about a dozen times. Ketchikan to Bellingham is a bit over 550 nm when you are swung out over Victoria to avoid Vancouver, or about 530 nm to Port Angeles. A lot of aircraft have that range. You might have to wait out weather if one is VFR only, but there are good approaches at either end if one is capable.

Back