An open thank you letter to Dr. Chien

JimNtexas

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim - In Texas!
[Last summer I consulted with Dr Chien about my upcoming class III medical. One factor on this medical was a minor motorcycle accident I had experienced in April. Dr Chien and the FAA were concerned that some kind of cardiac event might have been involved. I didn't see it that way, but went ahead with the extra testing they wanted anway.]

Hello Dr Chien,

At the time you and the FAA told me to get those bothersome cardiac tests I was a bit miffed with the whole system. I knew I didn't have heart problems because I never had chest pains, palpitations, etc. Plus I had been doing a lot of aerobic exercise for the last year or so.

So I wasn't surprised when I passed those tests without issue.

Fast forward to this week, and I was surprised to hear that President Bush recently had a heart operation. After all, he is probably the most fit President we've had in my lifetime. And I liked Ike!

I just read this article about his recent heart issues.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/08/16/commend-bushs-doctors-column/2662781/

Here's the money quote:
"If a role model for fitness in older people such Bush can have significant heart disease, so can we. "

After reading this I'm down right glad you and FAA insisted on those 'unnecessary' tests!

Thanks again,

Jim Howard

It'll be real interesting if GW follows Clinton's lead with the Esselstyn diet for his health or keeps faith with the Texas beef industry for their past support (an assumption on my part that he had it).

dtuuri

Doc Bruce is a gem, for sure. It's unfortunate that people misdirect their frustration with FAA's sometimes convoluted policies at the doc, when he's just trying to help them navigate through them. I give him a lot of credit for hanging around, considering what he sometimes has to put up with.

I presently fly SP or Part 103, but if I ever do decide to upgrade, a trip to Peoria will certainly be on my agenda.

-Rich

-Rich

Bruce is a good man. In all honesty I hope I never need his services, but it's good to know he's on our side.

Hello Dr Chien....At the time you and the FAA told me to get those bothersome cardiac tests I was a bit miffed with the whole system. I knew I didn't have heart problems because I never had chest pains, palpitations, etc. Plus I had been doing a lot of aerobic exercise for the last year or so. .....Jim Howard
We are ALL so very mortal. And of that is so easy to loose sight, while jumping through hoops. :yesnod:

Bruce is a gem. I hope to meet him in person someday. For a social visit.

Had lunch with him and my CFI after my medical. He is a great conversationalist and fun to be around. A truly enjoyable lunch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back