An Open Post To The Management Counsel

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
There has been some issues lately. It sucks to be you. I for one am just letting you know you (as a group) are doing a great job, one that I deeply appreciate. This is your sand box, run it the way you want.

The SZ is an issue for you, we all get that. Please suspend anyone who complains about the SZ for a month. If they cant handle the SZ they don't have to go there. That should take care of the majority of your work load. IMHO the SZ works so leave it alone.

Last edited:
I actually really appreciate the Spin Zone on this site ... and I've never once been there. Life's too short for other people's drama, and Internet Tough Guys wear me out. So I think it's great for them to have a place to go have their measuring contests and leave the rest of us alone.

There has been some issues lately. It sucks to be you. I for one am just letting you know you (as a group) are doing a great job, one that I deeply appreciate. This is your sand box, run it the way you want.

The SZ is an issue for you, we all get that. Please suspend anyone who complains about the SZ for a month. If they cant handle the SZ they don't have to go there. That should take care of the majority of your work load. IMHO the SZ works so leave it alone.

Great minds think alike Geico, I was thinking the exact same thing. Excellent post. Thank you. :yes::yes::yes:

I actually really appreciate the Spin Zone on this site ... and I've never once been there. Life's too short for other people's drama, and Internet Tough Guys wear me out. So I think it's great for them to have a place to go have their measuring contests and leave the rest of us alone.

Exactly. 110% correct. :yes:

The SZ serves a very useful purpose here. It's a place to vent, debate, *****, and have your hat handed to you by very smart people. I learn a lot there. A few people ***** to the MC and make their lives hell. Those are the people to suspend, not the institution of the SZ. I love how the people who go there get their asses kicked legitimately, then cry to the MC that they were not treated fair. Who said life is fair? Who said POA is fair? If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Pretty simple really.

Last edited:
I have never been to the spin zone and really don't care to but shouldn't a thread about SZ be in the SZ?

The spin zone is the place to go,if you have thin skin,or don't like controversy ,don't come to the SZ.it serves a purpose.

I have never been to the spin zone and really don't care to but shouldn't a thread about SZ be in the SZ?

Or at least in "site feedback and support."

My only issue with the spinzone is that many of the participants bring their **** out of the spinzone and into the rest of the forum. I Don't go there, but it's pretty easy to tell who does.

The SZ serves a very useful purpose here. It's a place to vent, debate, *****, and have your hat handed to you by very smart people.
The problem is, the Spin Zone bleeds over. Animosities are formed based on, say, political differences, and they are maintained in the non-SZ section. It just gives them another location to fight.

Many's the time I've seen a seemly-innocent subject absolutely blow up as a bunch of people attack each other for reasons that aren't germane to the subject or even with any apparent reason...and the explanation is that there's a huge cat fight going on in Spin Zone.

The fact is, some sub-set of the SZ participants just don't care. Political topics are freely posted to non-SZ areas with or without Subject lines that gives you warning you're stepping into a SZ colony. How can "Syrian Refugee Solution" POSSIBLY be considered non-SZ, unless it's something about gathering donations for relief (and it wasn't)? How can a first post beginning, "Obama has made another mistake..." (paraphrasing here), POSSIBLY be non-SZ...or be expected to *remain* non-SZ?

I appreciate what the MC does, and know how tough a job they've got. But sticking fingers into the dike only goes so far, when people with GAU 8/As are shooting at the other side.

Ron Wanttaja

I appreciate the post and completely undertand the thinking behind it but.....

Why is it that people must always ruin stuff by taking things so far? Although certain people couldn't agree even on the simplest things...civility should still be achievable at some point. It is a sad state of affairs when people are being badgered when they are stating their views, just like others but because they are not mainstream views then they are automatically attacked personally. Henning may be a tad wack in his thoughts but i believe him to be a completely reasonable and friendly guy in reality. I also believe this for those that attack him so why is it that there must always be attacks that go personal?

I've got to admit I don't see the point of the SZ. Looked around there and quite frankly got bored. I've got about the thickest skin you can get (maybe that's the problem :lol:) There are much better places to discuss light taboo subjects than a private area of an aviation board. I don't really care what some old dude who likes to fly planes thinks about some current political topic. I rather hear about what he thinks about aviation topics.

I agree it does seem to bleed over here. Lots of childish animosities seeming to come from fights over there.

I'd be interested to find out how many PoA fly-ins the most prolific spin zone posters have attended. I'd bet that the number of fly-ins attended is inversely proportional to number of spin zone posts.

Yeah, that's my goal in life; to argue politics ad naseum with strangers.

Since Troy doesn't like my favorite meme:

Internet_argument.jpg

Tim, it's time to step away from the keyboard...

I'd be interested to find out how many PoA fly-ins the most prolific spin zone posters have attended. I'd bet that the number of fly-ins attended is inversely proportional to number of spin zone posts.

Maybe the reason at least some of the SZ posters seem so angry and frustrated is because they don't get to fly as much as they want.

+1 i've been to the SZ and find it mostly a place where idiots disregard the facts and repeat what they've learned on cable. I'd rather get along with all pilots here at POA. We have so much in common that i hate when some want to add politics into the mix. If i had my way, i'd remove SZ from POA.

Why is it that people must always ruin stuff by taking things so far? Although certain people couldn't agree even on the simplest things...civility should still be achievable at some point.

Nothing in all of human history even hints that civility is the normal state of Man.

As far as SZ goes... Had it on for a while, learned there's people with opinions. (Wow. Shocker.)

Also saw they'd argue about them. (Double shocker.)

On the Internet.
(Wow. Gobsmacked!)

Even had a few debates with folks when I had time.

Ran out of time for it. Turned it off.
(What? Adults can do that?)

Met a number of folks who disagree with me in person. Met a number who agree. Nobody really cares. We have beer and stand around campfires and maybe talk about it some more, but nobody is butt-hurt.

It's politics kids. Not real life.

The answer is the same as for kids who whine that the other kids are doing something they don't like. "Then stay away from them."

A complaint about someone in SZ, unless a physical threat or something that breaks the law, gets your SZ checkbox turned off permanently. You obviously can't handle it and think it's real, or even important stuff in there.

"Here, have a cookie. Go play with the dog. Leave the other kids alone. They're enjoying their make-believe. No, I don't care if they called you a 'poopy-head'. We already warned you they would when you went in there. Now, go find the dog's bowl and let's feed him. You're not allowed in there when they're playing anymore. Finish your cookie."

Common sense. Anyone who can't handle the BS in SZ is locked out. If they value the blather therein, they'll fall all over themselves not to complain.

Way easier than trying to figure out who's urine is on who's pant leg when they exit the peeing match area. Just lock the door for anyone who can't handle being peed on. Haha.

Former MC member here, speaking my own views which don't necessarily reflect the views of the MC.

Hard working bunch of folks on the MC, and frankly, everyone has jobs and other commitments. It can be a real PITA at times. This medium doesn't allow for folks to communicate the subtle clues that they do when talking in person (or even on the phone.). Sarcasm and parody doesn't always carry well. Thanks to the folks on the MC for the hard work.

The biggest problems we dealt with when I was on we're the spin zone, posts elsewhere that should have been in spin zone, and personal attacks - including posts perceived as attacks on groups. Followed closely by bypassing the profanity filter. Frankly, given what I saw, and the fact that Much of the content of the SZ doesn't really contribute to the friendship factor that makes this community good, I would not be surprised if they elected to shut it down. I used to be a supporter of the zone, but it got to the point that if I were still on the MC, I would vote to make it go away.

It still amazes me, but doesn't surprise me, that some folks can't come on here and be civil to each other. I don't think anyone wants red board type moderation.... The moderation here is pretty light. But we've also lost some good folks from here due to uncivil behavior. The MC has called that out on several occasions... But it still happens.

Again, the folks that agreed to serve on the MC - Adam, Spike, Mari, Greg, Jesse, Jason, and now Troy deserve a lot of respect and appreciation for what they do. Folks here could certainly help make it easier on them.

Former MC member here, speaking my own views which don't necessarily reflect the views of the MC.

Hard working bunch of folks on the MC, and frankly, everyone has jobs and other commitments. It can be a real PITA at times. This medium doesn't allow for folks to communicate the subtle clues that they do when talking in person (or even on the phone.). Sarcasm and parody doesn't always carry well. Thanks to the folks on the MC for the hard work.

The biggest problems we dealt with when I was on we're the spin zone, posts elsewhere that should have been in spin zone, and personal attacks - including posts perceived as attacks on groups. Followed closely by bypassing the profanity filter. Frankly, given what I saw, and the fact that Much of the content of the SZ doesn't really contribute to the friendship factor that makes this community good, I would not be surprised if they elected to shut it down. I used to be a supporter of the zone, but it got to the point that if I were still on the MC, I would vote to make it go away.

It still amazes me, but doesn't surprise me, that some folks can't come on here and be civil to each other. I don't think anyone wants red board type moderation.... The moderation here is pretty light. But we've also lost some good folks from here due to uncivil behavior. The MC has called that out on several occasions... But it still happens.

Again, the folks that agreed to serve on the MC - Adam, Spike, Mari, Greg, Jesse, Jason, and now Troy deserve a lot of respect and appreciation for what they do. Folks here could certainly help make it easier on them.

Lets get that babes and planes group back up and running again.
We can trade the sz out for that one. :yes:

Since Troy doesn't like my favorite meme:

attachment.php

Wrong, Tim! The MC has never allowed the meme image you tried to use.

And using ones with swear words, like you did below, is going to get more of them deleted.

C'mon, man, we're friends! Don't make this personal. :no:

Attachments

• 11224021_1468506760135571_14025264517754426_n.jpg
    11224021_1468506760135571_14025264517754426_n.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 201
What and where is the Spin Zone? Make that where, I think I got the what figured out.

attachment.php

Wrong, Tim! The MC has never allowed the meme image you tried to use.

And using ones with swear words, like you did below, is going to get more of them deleted.

C'mon, man, we're friends! Don't make this personal. :no:

There have been plenty of meme's that have contained vulgar language, and the MC has done nothing. It just depends on who is posting them, not what they say.

There have been plenty of meme's that have contained vulgar language, and the MC has done nothing. It just depends on who is posting them, not what they say.

Just to clarify, R&W: it depends on if the post gets reported, or one of us on the MC sees them (in which case, WE report it, and still need three votes to act on it).

The MC applies that rule consistently, but we don't read every thread on POA. We depend on the community to make us aware of images that bypass the profanity filters.

Just to clarify, R&W: it depends on if the post gets reported, or one of us on the MC sees them (in which case, WE report it, and still need three votes to act on it).

The MC applies that rule consistently, but we don't read every thread on POA. We depend on the community to make us aware of images that bypass the profanity filters.

Uh, no. :no:

I know of post in the past that several members have reported and nothing happens, again, it depends upon who made the post, not what it says.

Back