An observation, and a question.

Had no viable choice. Business was good and I had to make the rounds. Airline travel to mid-market destinations became impossible after the first oil embargo.

Nice. We should all have such 1st world problems. Please, make me fly my airplane. Business is too good. ;)

364.4, but who's counting? I'll put some more on it this evening with my flight review and IPC.

Edit - 366 is now the current number.

Last edited:
4,700-ish. about 10 of those are rotor. .7 in a T-28. No P-51 time (ink or Merlin powered). But it's been four years since I flew the 1900, so I'm not even half the pilot I once was.

Somewhere north of 7K if you include Uncle Sam time, >4K civi but I don't know because I've gone to only logging recurrency.

2,978 mostly in airplanes (some in gliders, a few in helicopters.) 961 instructing.

The benefits of traveling in my plane were obvious at the time, but most were intangible life-style and convenience (dinners at home, sleeping in my own bed, watching kids events, late evening golf rounds at the club, etc.) rather than hard-dollar numbers.

I occasionally wondered how the costs of GA compared with airline costs, but didn't ever try to work the puzzle. The own/op costs of the plane were obviously greater than plane tickets, but the flexibility to be where I needed to be and to be able to leave when the work was done meant many fewer nights and meals on the road, as well as other perks. I quickly learned that people didn't mind picking me up at the FBO, but seemed to expect that I would rent a car if I arrived at the terminal. The plane expenses were fully deductible, so Sam paid part of the freight either way.

I also learned that the plane was at least as dependable as the airlines insofar as scheduling and door-to-door travel times were concerned, since I lived 4 miles from OJC and 57 miles from MCI. During all those years I didn't ever go to the airport and find that my plane was stuck in another city due to mechanical or WX problems, and the flight crew was never timed out.

Nice. We should all have such 1st world problems. Please, make me fly my airplane. Business is too good. ;)

Couple hundred military crewtime - radar operator P2, P4, WV-2Q -ferret missions
~1800 military PIC SEL - A1 (Cold War), A4 (Hot War-Vietnam), A7 IP
Several thousand 121 (UAL) crew - SO/FE B-737, B-727, DC-8

Somewhere over 800 since 2003. Can't believe I've been flying almost 10 years...feels like my checkride wasn't long ago.

5150 hrs ...150/152/172/182/Archer/Mooney 201/231,T-37/-T-38/Pitts 2A/B/C/Great Lakes / Stearman, Cub, Decathlon, 707/KC=135, F-18. F-16, F-15 sim, P337 Riley Skyrocket. 22 years military and done.

9,000 TT

4,500 Jet
3,500 TP
8,100 ME
900 SE
8,600 Complex
All FW
0 helo

1800 hours (no P-51 time) Plus 2 more hours for today.

just over 1,300 hours since 1999.

Wells

Around 3300, don't have my civilian logbooks with me in the sand-container.

Spilt it by who's paying for the gas, and it probably falls along that same number line.

You don't run into a lot of high-timers who paid for it out of their own wallet.

Be that, flying for someone else, or paying it from a business they own or are a principal in.

I don't know about you, but it's nice to make $2-3 a minute flying a plane rather than spending $2-3 a minute. :)

Around 10,000TT, give or take.

All rough estimates:

1300 in the J-41
2600 in the Dornier 328Jet
4500-5000 in 757 and 767s
500 or so in the 777 (a true gentleman's airplane.. an even more gentlemanly schedule)
300 or so in the A319
few hundred in a metroliner/SA227 (POS)
1000 or so in various single and multi eng pistons. Piper, mooneys, cessnas, etc... both as a left seater and instructor

And about .7 in a glider.. probably the most fun of them all!!

Last edited:
Titles, Time and Types mean less and less to me every day.

I have flown with a two pilot crew that had 73,000 hours and North of 40 type ratings between them. Nothing spectacular.

Like some, I quit logging except for currency 15 years ago when I hit 15,000 hours. I was sharper on the stick at a 500TT hours than I am today.

I fake it better today though.:wink2:

LOL. There is some truth to that. If someone has a lot of hours but is still an idiot, they are just a high time idiot.

~125TT SEL all paid for out of my own pocket.

Now if you asked about sim time....

5150 hrs ...150/152/172/182/Archer/Mooney 201/231,T-37/-T-38/Pitts 2A/B/C/Great Lakes / Stearman, Cub, Decathlon, 707/KC=135, F-18. F-16, F-15 sim, P337 Riley Skyrocket. 22 years military and done.

I'm guessing you were Air Force? How'd you get the F-18 time?

SO.... I propose a very non-scientific poll. I would ask all of you to post your hours, (no P-51 time please, :nono:), and after a day or so we can arrive at an average of a general cross section of members.
Someone needs to start calculating. :)

Someone needs to start calculating. :)

Be sure and report mean, median, standard deviation, skewness, and kurtosis. Of course we'd like to see the confidence interval and the mean and the prediction limits for estimating the entire population...

In another thread a member made a statement citing that a certain number of hours (3000) was more than the average POA member held. This struck me as lower than expected, but then I may be looking at things from a vantage point that is not common to the GA community.

SO.... I propose a very non-scientific poll. I would ask all of you to post your hours, (no P-51 time please, :nono:), and after a day or so we can arrive at an average of a general cross section of members.

I did hear that total number of hours for all pilots averaged together was about 400. That includes all pilots from PP to ATP. What that number tells me is there has to be a large number of pilots that get their PPL and then never fly again.

I did hear that total number of hours for all pilots averaged together was about 400. That includes all pilots from PP to ATP. What that number tells me is there has to be a large number of pilots that get their PPL and then never fly again.

If everyone got there PPL at 30, lost there medical at 70, flew one weekend a month to some place 48 minutes away and back, the average TT would be 400.

I know that's not normal of course, but it shows there are a lot of ways to get to that number.

500-ish for me. All ASEL, all rental hours. Those poorly maintained rentals haven't killed me (yet), but for sure they have tried!

-Skip

Last edited:
I'm guessing you were Air Force? How'd you get the F-18 time?

Air National Guard, I got a backseat ride in a Canadian F-18 at a Maple Flag exercise in return for giving one of their pilots a ride in the Viper. Most of my time was in the F-16.

I'm slightly more than 550 w/ 31 hours in helicopter. My longest flying day was 7 1/2. The shortest was .2 when on takeoff roll, we found the wind shield cracked the whole length. Greatest distance was about 300 miles from home drome done in 3 legs north and 2 south. This year will rate as the highest number of hours and I still have 3 months to go. Helo training is boosting my numbers.

I now have 0.5 in a glider and I added a glider column just for that!

There's something about flying a plane that responds to your control inputs by popping and buckling... completely different world than the one I work in.

Back