An observation, and a question.

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
In another thread a member made a statement citing that a certain number of hours (3000) was more than the average POA member held. This struck me as lower than expected, but then I may be looking at things from a vantage point that is not common to the GA community.

SO.... I propose a very non-scientific poll. I would ask all of you to post your hours, (no P-51 time please, :nono:), and after a day or so we can arrive at an average of a general cross section of members.

Last edited:
After my .4 this morning (darned transponder!), I'm at 170.6. No P-51 time.

closing in on 300 hrs

logged my first .3hrs (taxi practice) Feb 10 2011

If I had to guess the median would be around 500 hours here. Median is probably a better way of estimating the central tendency of hours as there are a couple lifetime career guys with a ton of hours that would blow the mean out of proportion

Last edited:
7 more to 500.

And why does it matter? 10,000 hours behind the autopilot isn't all that impressive anyway.

Granted, there's more real teachable moments in those logbooks than others, but the time in-between those moments isn't as important as those few hours why you learn something.

I'll try to bump the numbers a bit, I have about 2900 TT. I don't keep up with it as closely as many do, I try to log enough to stay legal and keep the insurance company happy. :D

No clue. I lost my old logbook from many moons ago so I just started over with the new one when I started flying again recently.

No big deal to me since I do it as a hobby and no need for time building. I even have my old paper certificate. :D

Cheers

7 more to 500.

And why does it matter? 10,000 hours behind the autopilot isn't all that impressive anyway.

Granted, there's more real teachable moments in those logbooks than others, but the time in-between those moments isn't as important as those few hours why you learn something.

It doesn't really matter. Safety is between the ears, and I have met a lot of experienced idiots. I am just curious. When you read the posts here it doesn't matter how many hours are behind them, it is the intent and soundness of the observation. I know very little of the demographics of GA, and was just curious.

Approx 3,970 hrs helicopter and about 740 airplane.Oh yeah, 7 hrs sailplane but never did get my license.:(

Last edited:
1275. The last year has been pretty pathetic flying wise, although I gave several hundred hours of ground instruction.

'Bout 13k and trying to figure which 10k were spent not learning anything. But the computer guys know everything about flying so who am I to question them?

47.5 hours ... booyah! No night time carrier traps yet.

About 720. Almost all SEL, with about 15 MEL mixed in (though not PIC)

About 710 hours, ASEL

Guess I am in the minority with ThreeFingeredJack and Wayne, I'll pass 9K this winter. Almost all of it in Alaska 135.

Back