Ammunition... Best Source??

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
Our family draws names amongst ourselves for Christmas gifts... we're too large a group now to get everyone a big gift, so this was the next best solution. The person I have this year though, wants ammunition for his guns and this is a bit outside of my shopping comfort zone. :hairraise: Where do you get your ammuntion/bullets for your guns if you are into hunting/shooting?? I'll copy the caliber numbers he gave me from the family e-mail and hope they are readily available either at Walmart?? (my first thought) or Cabela's online?? Is there a better source?

9 mm

.357 (like Dirty Harry!)

Rifle size... 30.06

THANKS!

Or look locally at any sporting goods store that caters to hunters...which most do. Dicks and Gander Mountain are a couple that come to mind, depending on where you live.

Wal*Mart and some of the big box sporting goods like Dick's, Cabellas, Gander Mtn, Bass Pro, usually are pretty close. As pointed out, ammo is heavy per what it costs, so getting free shipping (or picking it up local) is probably the best.

Our family draws names amongst ourselves for Christmas gifts... we're too large a group now to get everyone a big gift, so this was the next best solution. The person I have this year though, wants ammunition for his guns and this is a bit outside of my shopping comfort zone. :hairraise: Where do you get your ammuntion/bullets for your guns if you are into hunting/shooting?? I'll copy the caliber numbers he gave me from the family e-mail and hope they are readily available either at Walmart?? (my first thought) or Cabela's online?? Is there a better source?

9 mm

.357 (like Dirty Harry!)

Rifle size... 30.06

THANKS!
When I bought lots of ammo I shopped Shotgun News for deals, been decades though. There's excellent deals to be found on bulk reload, some is questionable quality though and some ranges will not allow it.

9 mm

.357 (like Dirty Harry!)

Rifle size... 30.06

THANKS!

buy them one of these

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/rcbs-special-5-reloading-starter-kit.aspx?a=506874

If you're going to get a single stage press, get the Lee Classic. It's only $100. You can use the other $150 for a good digital scale, dies, powder, or bullets.

.50 Caliber MG

20 MM Vulcan AA

Stinger Missle

155 MM Tactical Nuke

THANKS!

Edited it for you. Let's get serious!

I've gotten to know some of the competitive shooters through guns shows and at ranges over the years. Many of them purchase bulk ammo or reload and resell to support their habit of turning money into noise. That's been a great source for me, but they usually want a purchase of 500 to 1,000 rounds at a time which is just a few days at the range for the serious folks. Best, Dave

What Dave S. said.

If there's a gun show around, it may well be the best source & best pricing. No guarantee, though, but you can shop around the various vendors.

You can also ask at the local VFW hall, most likely 2 or more of the guys at the bar do reloading.

What Dave S. said.

If there's a gun show around, it may well be the best source & best pricing. No guarantee, though, but you can shop around the various vendors.

Shop the gun show near the end of the show. The vendors usually don't want to carry all the ammo back.

You can learn to reload, and give him homemade/handmade ammunition. :idea:

Actually Dirty Harry's gun was .44 Magnum. I like cheaper than dirt and the georgia depot also www.ammunitiontogo.com as well.

Yep, model 29 with an 8 3/8 barrel. I had one and could out shoot Gold Cups with it, but it was awfully punishing on the hands and wrists to compete with it.

I've always liked .32 cal or ever .25 for a pocket gun.

Yep, model 29 with an 8 3/8 barrel. I had one and could out shoot Gold Cups with it, but it was awfully punishing on the hands and wrists to compete with it.

Usually, you use .44 Special light loads for paper punching, not full power magnum loads. That's a bit odd.

Even Dirty Harry used .44 Special wadcutters, or at least he states that in the movie.

I used to live in IL and was able to buy rifle ammo online. They just needed me to scan my drivers license and FOID card and send it to them. Shipped UPS ground no different than any other package. They just put warning stickers on it.

All the types of ammo you listed are very common and should be available just about anywhere. Wal-Mart is a safe bet but if you search around there are probably deals online.

If buying surplus ammo avoid anything that says it is corrosive... in the olden days they used gunpowder that would leave behind deposits that would cause the gun to rust if not cleaned thoroughly soon after shooting. This is more of an issue with ammo used in foreign military surplus rifles but worth noting.

In general, for target shooting I'd look for Federal white box.

I've always liked .32 cal or ever .25 for a pocket gun.

A .25? That would probably just **** someone off really bad for giving them a bad skin rash. A .380 with Glaser Safety Slugs is the minimum I'd consider carrying.

Whatever you do, don't buy it unless he's given you the exact rounds he wants. "45" is not enough info to go on, for example. ;) Gift card or cash, let him buy the rounds.

Get into rifle shooting and there's stuff that will seem to fit and maybe even fire in weapons never designed for it.

And in handguns, there's +P and +P+ rounds that are heavy on "bang" that can really FUBAR your whole day in the wrong weapon.

Usually, you use .44 Special light loads for paper punching, not full power magnum loads. That's a bit odd.

Even Dirty Harry used .44 Special wadcutters, or at least he states that in the movie.

Even for defense .44 special wadcutters aren't a bad choice and the flat bullet face is great for energy transfer. The recoil of a full power .44 magnum makes follow up shots slow.

Maybe a gift card for one of these places might be the way to go!

Even for defense .44 special wadcutters aren't a bad choice and the flat bullet face is great for energy transfer. The recoil of a full power .44 magnum makes follow up shots slow.

All very true. Not a fan of the magnum for defense purposes. .44 Special will get the job done.

By the time you shoot a couple thousand rounds a week practicing, even the special loads in .44 with a revolver frame made my wrist and deep web sore, that's why I gave it up and went Auto.

Maybe a gift card for one of these places might be the way to go!
Possibly the most sensible recommendation on this thread so far.

The thing is.....bullets are like beer. There is quite a wide range in tastes. Some folks are more than happy with buying their ammo at Walmart or whatever bargain basement ammo store there is, while others are gunpowder and warhead connoisseurs whob fancy the exotic stuff.

Not knowing the person you drew, I'd say the gift card is the safest bet.

Personally, I go to Ammu-Nation!

I don't have a 1911 yet, but really would like a Kimber. Currently, I have an Springfield XD in .40cal. I like you get a mix of speed and energy transfer. Not quite a 9mm, and not quite a .45. I am up in the air however because I also want to get a revolver. I will probably get a .357.

My personal home defense weapon is a 9mm auto loaded with Glaser safety slugs. Energy transfer is roughly equivalent to a .45 ACP with ball ammo.

I don't like double action only autos, although I can tolerate the Glock. In a typical home defense scenario, having to cock for the first shot isn't a limitation.

+1

ammunitiontogo.com and cheaperthandirt.com

I don't like double action only autos, although I can tolerate the Glock. In a typical home defense scenario, having to cock for the first shot isn't a limitation.

My Bersa fixes that for you. DA on the first round, SA after that. Assuming you decocked after loading. Otherwise, SA for all rounds and carry with the safety on.

http://ammoseek.com/ is a good place to search for prices. Not all discount vendors work with them, however.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ is one place I've gotten good prices from in the past, with reasonable shipping. They are one of the discount vendors that you won't find in ammoseek.com.

http://www.brownells.com/. I've also had good luck here. Again, not on ammoseek.com

My Bersa fixes that for you. DA on the first round, SA after that. Assuming you decocked after loading. Otherwise, SA for all rounds and carry with the safety on.

Yeah yeah, I have a S&W 39 and a Beretta 92 which are first shot DA then subsequent SA. I'm so used to cocking a M1911 for the first shot I cock them anyway, even back when I used to shoot in IPSC competition.

I'm in the 'hammer please, let me cock the first round without cycling the chamber' crowd myself.

I didn't read the entire post but some walmart's sell ammunition as cheap if not cheaper than the online places and you don't pay any shipping

9 mm

.357 (like Dirty Harry!)

Rifle size... 30.06

THANKS!

If you're just buying a few boxes of each, Wal-Mart is your best bet. The prices are great and you can just pick it up on the run. Since you mentioned a few different sizes that's my guess of what your plan is. However, if you're buying in bulk, the others are right about cheaperthandirt.com and ammoman.com.

The one thing to keep in mind regardless of where you go is to take a close look at the less expensive ammo - it's sometimes steel casing. You don't want steel - you want brass, because it's softer. Many firearms mfrs state that using steel ammo voids the warranty.

Back