Ammo shortages

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I stopped by my local Academy Sports and it all looked fairly normal. YT is full of talking heads calling for a shortage due to various issues. Anybody?

I've seen ammo prices going up on 7.62 and 5.56 lately, which I've heard was attributed to the Isreal/Hammas frey as well as the explosion at the Hornady ammo plant in Grand Island, NE. Fiocchi Munizioni being bought by the Czech group CSG also has people concerned that the ammo production is going to be sent to the Ukraine cause.

It can be a self-fulfilling prediction
Agreed,
but the reasons given also sound as plausible.
I reload, so I am fine either way. Just curious as to what y’all have seen/heard.

I have heard that 155mm artillery shells are in short supply due to the Urkraine war.

I stopped by my local Academy Sports and it all looked fairly normal. YT is full of talking heads calling for a shortage due to various issues. Anybody?

various powders are still hard to find.

primers have come back into stock, but at vastly inflated prices.

Panic buying. Lake City, which is an Army-owned ammo factory operated under contract by Winchester, was directed to focus on military production and stop civilian sales. At the same time, Israel/Gaza blew up (sort of figuratively), and a primer factory did too (literally). Now, there are a lot of ammo manufacturers but as with just about everything else these days, people focus on the most negative, and their reactions have a higher emotional than logical root.

Agreed,
but the reasons given also sound as plausible.
I reload, so I am fine either way. Just curious as to what y’all have seen/heard.

I have heard that 155mm artillery shells are in short supply due to the Urkraine war.

My local Cabela's show 32 in stock :p

I buy about 1000rds of 5.56 and 1000rds of 9mm every 3-4 months, because that’s about how much I shoot. Rarely do I keep more than whatever is in my case + a couple hundred rounds on hand. I went to the ammo store a few days ago and the only cases of 5.56 they had were S&B 77gr, $950/case. Ouch. Normally they have several dozen cases of different flavors of 5.56 on hand. Still plenty of 9mm. Guess I’ll just shoot my MPX/pistols more.

@DavidWhite case = 1,000 rnds? So $0.95/556?

What would it normally be?

Yep.

I prefer the PMC X-Tac 55gr which normally is about $550/1000rds. The Wolf Gold is fine in a pinch too and thats usually $530. I try to buy by the case, seems to save right about 10% over buying boxes individually. My guns REALLY seem to like the X-Tac 62gr green tip but I shoot a lot of steel so they don’t work for a lot of what I’m doing.

TargetSportsUSA for those of you lucky enough to live where you’re allowed to have ammo shipped to your home, and don’t need ammunition background checks. .223/5.56 is going up, but it was selling @ under .40/rnd not long ago. The last ten days has seen a HUGE spike, which surprises no one. ;)

I swear whenever the industry gets depressed these rumors start and then hoarders descend on the mass suppliers and start buying everything up. Remember about ten years ago with 22LR dried up?

Give it time. With all the ammo some people have previously hoarded there is no real ammo shortage, the same people will make it happen.

You score points by hitting the target, not by scaring it to death with loud noises

A lot of it is panic buying, I spoke to my RSR rep yesterday and was told that the manufacturer’s are still filling orders. This isn’t the same sort of shortage we had during 2020-2021.

That said it definitely does hurt, I just paid an extra 55 dollars for a case of 9mm than I otherwise would’ve if my distributors had them in stock.

Personally I really need to look into a .22 conversion for my Uzi.

55EB9DDB-A908-49F7-B210-5F18D15F9108.jpeg

Is a 9mm 1911 really considered a 1911 though? ;)
So true.
I have a Browning 380 ACP "1911" and my friend has a Kimber 45cal 1911.
When we fire in adjacent lanes at the range it's kind of weird... I can actually feel my testicles retract in real-time from the emasculating effect of firing my pea-shooter.
And I can say with certainty that whether you're going to be shot or receive a gentleman's pistol-whipping, you'd have a clear preference that it was NOT with the 45 cal version ;)

Back