Ammo shortages

In the Navy, we carried Colt .45 1911 pistols on board and I ran the qualification system. About every other week we would take a group down to the police range for quals and I always got to shoot. I can vouch that more shooting more makes you better. I've never carried with a round in the chamber, but I got to be very good at drawing, racking, and putting 7 round center of mass quickly.

Why nothing in the chamber? Because there's a bigger chance of a negligent discharge killing an innocent than there is that I lose when someone outdraws me because of the 1 second it takes to rack the slide. In a hostile situation, sure, but just day to day standing watch, I never did. I think others did, I know I found loaded pistols turned in when we secured the watch to go to sea.

Wish I had to the time now to go to the range more often.

So true.
I have a Browning 380 ACP "1911" and my friend has a Kimber 45cal 1911.
When we fire in adjacent lanes at the range it's kind of weird... I can actually feel my testicles retract in real-time from the emasculating effect of firing my pea-shooter.
And I can say with certainty that whether you're going to be shot or receive a gentleman's pistol-whipping, you'd have a clear preference that it was NOT with the 45 cal version ;)
Wow, now I feel somehow less having a 9mm. Kind of makes me Think that I should reevaluate everything. If I was wrong about the 9 mm in a 1911. What else if I’ve been wrong about.? Maybe I need to get that high wing after all. Probably should sell my Suzuki V Strom and get a big Harley with straight pipes and ape hangers.

No, his was a dedicated 22LR upper. I think there's a conversion kit from CMMG to run it with .223/5.56 uppers but it obviously isn't ideal because the twist rate is a little off.

I was thinking about one of the CMMG kits and curious about how well the .223 barrel would work.

Anybody tried running 22LR in their AR15?

I haven't bothered with a 22lr conversion, but I do have a .177 airgun upper. Works great for practice in the basement (with a pellet trap).

I've had a few "1911's" but I got rid of most of my guns a few years ago. Actually pops got rid of them but that's another story. The one I still have is the Colt Mk4 Series '70. It's finely made to tight tolerances unlike the military M1911's with loose barrel bushings. The thing about them though is that those old beaters were surprisingly accurate.

I don't see the point in getting a 1911 pattern in 9mm, simply because there are so many other more modern and effective 9mm choices out there. My go to pistol when I used to shoot IPSC combat matches was a S&W Model 39. If the Sig Sauer P226 was available then I would have used one of those. I did manage to pick one up last year. I like it a lot. Great shooter.

In the Navy, we carried Colt .45 1911 pistols on board and I ran the qualification system. About every other week we would take a group down to the police range for quals and I always got to shoot. I can vouch that more shooting more makes you better. I've never carried with a round in the chamber, but I got to be very good at drawing, racking, and putting 7 round center of mass quickly.

Why nothing in the chamber? Because there's a bigger chance of a negligent discharge killing an innocent than there is that I lose when someone outdraws me because of the 1 second it takes to rack the slide. In a hostile situation, sure, but just day to day standing watch, I never did. I think others did, I know I found loaded pistols turned in when we secured the watch to go to sea.

Wish I had to the time now to go to the range more often.
Why not carry with a round in the chamber but the hammer down? It's no different than carrying a DA or DA/SA pistol with a round in the chamber, which is what most people that carry them do.

Why not carry with a round in the chamber but the hammer down? It's no different than carrying a DA or DA/SA pistol with a round in the chamber, which is what most people that carry them do.
The difference is that the original 1911A1 has no firing pin lock, so the pistol is not drop safe. Its firing pin is recessed but held back only by a spring. If the pistol falls or encounters a sudden acceleration in the right direction, the inertia of the firing pin can overcome the spring and fire any round that is in the chamber. Another drawback to this is that you have to manually cock the pistol before it can be fired.

Most professionals who carry the 1911 carry in "condition one" which means magazine inserted, round chambered, hammer cocked, and safety ON. That way if you need to use it, it's fast and entirely one-handed, which could save your life.

Most modern pistols are drop safe, which in my opinion makes them better daily carry guns. The firing pin is locked back, and that lock is released either explicitly by a safety, or automatically as the trigger is pulled. This is true across a variety of different designs, whether striker fired, or having an external hammer, whether SA or DA/SA.

I've had a few "1911's" but I got rid of most of my guns a few years ago. Actually pops got rid of them but that's another story. The one I still have is the Colt Mk4 Series '70. It's finely made to tight tolerances unlike the military M1911's with loose barrel bushings. The thing about them though is that those old beaters were surprisingly accurate.

I don't see the point in getting a 1911 pattern in 9mm, simply because there are so many other more modern and effective 9mm choices out there. My go to pistol when I used to shoot IPSC combat matches was a S&W Model 39. If the Sig Sauer P226 was available then I would have used one of those. I did manage to pick one up last year. I like it a lot. Great shooter.
I like how they look. I like the single action trigger.

I like how they look. I like the single action trigger.
The single action trigger on a fine 1911 is about as good as a trigger can get.

The trigger pull on a Glock feels like someone coated the internal moving parts with marshmallow fluff and sand.

The colt model 70s are not drop safe. You shouldn't be dropping them anyway, but if they hit the hammer first, they will go off.

Second, I trained to rack the slide as part of the motion of drawing from the holster. I think if I tried to change now, I'd probably eject a round in the moment or have to retrain to press the safety and cock the hammer without slipping. More things to do and still a chance to shoot when not meaning to. With an empty chamber on the 1911, there's one action to do to make it ready to shoot.

I don't see the point in getting a 1911 pattern in 9mm, simply because there are so many other more modern and effective 9mm choices out there.

The 2011 style pistols are very competitive and very nice. A couple of the guys I shoot USPSA with have them, and they love them.

A locked and cocked series 80 1911 has THREE safeties beyond an internal pin block.
Physical thumb safety.
Physical grip safety.
Your trigger discipline.

I stopped by my local Academy Sports and it all looked fairly normal. YT is full of talking heads calling for a shortage due to various issues. Anybody?
I'm good. Use what I have and I'll just make more. The exception is 12 gauge and .22. I have 5 cases of match .22 for my silhouette shooting season and will buy a dozen more cases over the next few months to feed my clays shooting habit over the summer. Correct, I could not pick two more skills divergent shooting disciplines to compete in. Likely why I'm just average at both. :rolleyes:

QvAf4rc.jpg

A locked and cocked series 80 1911 has THREE safeties beyond an internal pin block.
Physical thumb safety.
Physical grip safety.
Your trigger discipline.
The last one more than all. Pretty much all handguns produced in the last 40 years will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.

Finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until on target and you have made the decision to fire. If a shooter isn’t doing that, get training and practice until it becomes automatic. If trigger discipline is still problematic, then guns are not a good fit for that person.

I'm good. Use what I have and I'll just make more. The exception is 12 gauge and .22. I have 5 cases of match .22 for my silhouette shooting season and will buy a dozen more cases over the next few months to feed my children.

QvAf4rc.jpg
Around here, (middle of the Adirondacks) most people have more ammo than that in their sock drawers. You need to up your ammo numbers. :D

Around here, (middle of the Adirondacks) most people have more ammo than that in their sock drawers. You need to up your ammo numbers. :D
Oh, loaded ammo? Don't worry. There's plenty of that. As an aficionado of old rifles and calibers you kinda got to be ready. A .300 H&H kills moose no better than a .30-06 but it's much cooler.

I'm good. Use what I have and I'll just make more. The exception is 12 gauge and .22. I have 5 cases of match .22 for my silhouette shooting season and will buy a dozen more cases over the next few months to feed my clays shooting habit over the summer. Correct, I could not pick two more skills divergent shooting disciplines to compete in. Likely why I'm just average at both. :rolleyes:

QvAf4rc.jpg
Looks like a good start.

I can trade you some .22LR for the Alliant 2400 :drool:. Plus have some CFE223 and some No. 9 coming in along with LR primers.

IMG_5653.jpeg
I just finished a range session with a block of instruction to a new shooter. Burned through 100 rounds of 9mm and 100 rounds of .45 ACP. Sig Sauer P226 and Mk IV Series ‘70, respectively. Cleaning time.

stolen from another site:

You may have heard on the news about a southern Californian man...​

Who was put under 72 hour psychiatric observation when it was found that he owned 100 guns and allegedly had 100,000 rounds of ammo stored in his home.

My favorite quote from the dimwit tv reporter:"Wow! He has a quarter million machine gun bullets." The headline referred to it as a "massive weapons cache."

By southern California standards someone owning 100,000 rounds of ammo would be called "mentally unstable." Just imagine if he lived somewhere else.

In Arizona and New Mexico he'd be "an avid gun collector"

In Arkansas and Oklahoma, he's "a novice gun collector"

In Utah he's "moderately well prepared" but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of food stored.

In Colorado and Montana he's the "neighborhood 'go to' guy"

In Idaho he'd be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate"

In Wyoming, he's "an eligible bachelor"

In Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas, he would be called "a deer hunting buddy "

And in Alabama, he's just "Bubba" who's short on ammo.

Who was put under 72 hour psychiatric observation when it was found that he owned 100 guns and allegedly had 100,000 rounds of ammo stored in his home.

My favorite quote from the dimwit tv reporter:"Wow! He has a quarter million machine gun bullets." The headline referred to it as a "massive weapons cache."

By southern California standards someone owning 100,000 rounds of ammo would be called "mentally unstable." Just imagine if he lived somewhere else.

In Utah he's "moderately well prepared" but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of food stored.

In Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas, he would be called "a deer hunting buddy "

In Florida, he’s marginally prepared for the next hurricane.

You're not really prepared unless you keep your ammo in a Conex, just saying.

So how many rounds must a person own to be officially crazy.??

And does this reporter have any clue how many rounds the government has.??

So how many rounds must a person own to be officially crazy.??

And does this reporter have any clue how many rounds the government has.??

When your prepped brass count exceeds your ready to fire count, you may not be full bore crazy, but it’s definitely a break from reality.

View attachment 121927
I just finished a range session with a block of instruction to a new shooter. Burned through 100 rounds of 9mm and 100 rounds of .45 ACP. Sig Sauer P226 and Mk IV Series ‘70, respectively. Cleaning time.
Been looking at the P226. How do you like it?

When your prepped brass count exceeds your ready to fire count, you may not be full bore crazy, but it’s definitely a break from reality.

Help me understand that, rational, please. I kind of find prepping brass to be kind of therapeutic. I like sitting in my shop, listening to some music, processing brass. Then I just put it in a Ziploc bag with some desiccant. Its there waiting when I want to load it.

Living in IL, I am dreading the "assault gun" registration that everyone has to do before the end of the year. Once on a list in a database, its easy to be on lots of lists and databases.

Living in IL, I am dreading the "assault gun" registration that everyone has to do before the end of the year. Once on a list in a database, its easy to be on lots of lists and databases.

A friend on mine was in the Philippines when the Japanese invaded. One of the first things done was round up all the firearms.... which were so conveniently listed in the registry of firearms. Needless to say, since that time my friend was never a fan of gun registries.

I wonder if the business of weapon storage along the IL border states will take off. As an example, I’m only 50 minutes from Wisconsin.

Help me understand that, rational, please. I kind of find prepping brass to be kind of therapeutic. I like sitting in my shop, listening to some music, processing brass. Then I just put it in a Ziploc bag with some desiccant. Its there waiting when I want to load it.

More to make than available to shoot.

I wonder if the business of weapon storage along the IL border states will take off. As an example, I’m only 50 minutes from Wisconsin.
It's a successful business model in PA, just outside NJ borders.

Been looking at the P226. How do you like it?
I really like it a lot. It's super reliable, great ergonomics and easy access to the controls, great sights, and just overall pleasant to shoot. But... I think it's just me, but it's hard to shoot accurately.

I mean I can keep my hits within a standard silhouette target at ten meters but you can do that with a slingshot. At Sunday's session, I was able to get sub 3" groupings at ten meters with the 1911, so I'm not sure what's up. Probably the trigger. It admittedly does not have the best single action or double action trigger. But there are upgrades for that. But that said, some people can drive tacks with them so it still falls back on me. Granted, I do use a Weaver stance which does trade match accuracy for target acquisition speed, but I shot the .45 using it too.

It's a relatively new acquisition. I've always wanted one. When I was stationed in Germany in the late 80's, the Army had adopted but not issued the M9 Beretta. The P226 was developed for the trials, and was considered to be the better pistol. The MI guys were packing P226's at the time, as well as military and federal LEO agencies that had a choice over what pistols to use.

Oh by the way I love my MK IV Series '70, but like any other stock 1911A1 pattern gun with no porting modifications, it tends to stovepipe. This is the main reason I don't use it as a home defense weapon.

The P226 X-FIVE Legion just came out a couple weeks ago. I got to shoot it, it was a fantastic pistol. Buyer beware though, I’ve had several QC issues with Sig guns in the last couple years.

The Barrel bolts on my MPX snapped when I tried to torque them to book spec after disassembly and cleaning of the piston system. Additionally the barrel clamp and handguard on my Spear LT was also not torqued to spec, and I had an unexplainable POI shift of 4-5 MOA. I replaced the barrel clamp, torqued to spec, and installed the Arisaka Defense handguard stiffener and it runs like a champ now.

Back