American Made - Tom Cruise new movie

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
I applaud Tom for bringing back the joys of flight to the masses from the Top gun heyday. How do you think American made is going to do in the box office? It comes out Friday.

If it has airplanes in it, I will watch it for sure but I wonder how other non pilots will perceive the movie.

BTW Top gun is 31 years old....feeling old yet? GOOD! ;)

Found a trailer of the movie:

It's got an 88% on rotten tomatoes so I'd guess it does well. It must be a good movie.

I'm still sad they wrecked an Aerostar... but I'll watch it for sure. This looks promising, haven't seen a good, fun, aviation movie in a while

Not a Cruise fan, so it's a no go for moi.

Interesting video about Berry Seal.

I'm still sad they wrecked an Aerostar... but I'll watch it for sure. This looks promising, haven't seen a good, fun, aviation movie in a while

Who cares about the Aerostar? One of the top helicopter film pilots in Hollywood died in that Aerostar crash (a ferry flight not during filming). Alan Purwin, the head of Helinet in LA, was killed. Alan flew Airwolf, among other things. His company services film shoots, supplies ENG helicopters, does corporate charters, and most importantly provides free helicopter medical transfers for Children's Hospital of LA. His loss is an absolute tragedy and sent shockwaves through the film community. I don't care about some bent metal in a jungle, but the loss of a legend is sad.

55 year old Tom Cruise playing a 30 something year old will be the real movie...

Well, it was kinda fun watching his character die over and over again in Edge of Tomorrow.

:D

I read the book, well before the movie came out. "All You Need is Kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. The book was good, and from the comparisons I read later, much better than the movie, as is often the case.

Who cares about the Aerostar? One of the top helicopter film pilots in Hollywood died in that Aerostar crash (a ferry flight not during filming). Alan Purwin, the head of Helinet in LA, was killed. Alan flew Airwolf, among other things. His company services film shoots, supplies ENG helicopters, does corporate charters, and most importantly provides free helicopter medical transfers for Children's Hospital of LA. His loss is an absolute tragedy and sent shockwaves through the film community. I don't care about some bent metal in a jungle, but the loss of a legend is sad.
..just thought the Aerostar was a cool plane, wasn't meant as a deep remark. There aren't many of them around and it's a bummer they crashed one. Even more of a bummer that people died (obviously). The comment was mostly meant as a topical about watching a Tom Cruise movie despite one less cool plane flying around at its expense (and obviously one less aviation legend)

We don't get many good, fun, aviation movies. Fingers are crossed that this is a good one, at least the story and plot seem interesting and don't directly use people's fear of flying as the core plot device (as many aviation movies do). I was initially excited for this movie but when I heard "the pilot didn't file a flight plan" I mentally clicked off

Cheers

I loved the original, Double Crossed with Dennis Hopper. Surprised no one has mentioned it.

Geeez!

What's with all the hate for Tom Cruise? He did help bring flying to the masses 31 years ago...I know I keep typing 31 years because I can't believe it myself.

The trailer makes the movie look really good. I'm not going because I think it'll be anything realistic, but just for a couple of hours of fun and some popcorn. And if I'm lucky maybe we'll sit in the back row and make out.

It's probably gonna be fun - they just aren't gonna let facts interfere with making a successful movie. Take it with a grain of salt, or like an Oliver Stone movie, as a fiction/fantasy offering.

It’s got airplanes and tom cruise I’ll be seeing it

Maybe I’ll be playing danger zone through my car on the way to the movie just cause

..just thought the Aerostar was a cool plane, wasn't meant as a deep remark.

It is a cool airplane. Flew one with the conversion, think the engines were 325 hp, maybe less, maybe more.

And I understood how you meant it.

Don't see how he can do better than top gun,worth a look for some of the flying scenes,hopefully.

The trailer makes the movie look really good. I'm not going because I think it'll be anything realistic, but just for a couple of hours of fun and some popcorn. And if I'm lucky maybe we'll sit in the back row and make out.

Are you going with Sac, 6PC, or eman? Or all of them?

Are you going with Sac, 6PC, or eman? Or all of them?

I know, because if they are all going together that is going to be on heck of a party...;)

Folks don't look for realism here especially in a movie, you are going to be disappointed. Just enjoy the ride.

I read a review discussing the fictional nature of the story. Apparently the idea that Deal was ever working for the CIA had been debunked.

Geeez!

What's with all the hate for Tom Cruise? He did help bring flying to the masses 31 years ago...I know I keep typing 31 years because I can't believe it myself.
We could start with how he pays his servents .50c an hour, all the crazy damage/lawsuits/cult/etc scientology (with him as second in command) has done, or even his (granted, my opinion) ****-poor acting...he's the SAME CHARACTER in every movie!!!
Yeah, I won't go see it.

We could start with how he pays his servents .50c an hour, all the crazy damage/lawsuits/cult/etc scientology (with him as second in command) has done, or even his (granted, my opinion) ****-poor acting...he's the SAME CHARACTER in every movie!!!
Yeah, I won't go see it.

With much respect I disagree:

I enjoyed quite a few of his Movies: Last Samurai, Mission Impossible, Jerry McGuire among others were very good (IMO) and he didn't play the same character. I will also go and check out Top Gun 2 Maverick which is coming out next year or so. I know it probably won't be as good as the original Top Gun but I realized with that much time between movies it's very difficult to re-enact and improve on the original one. It was a different era back then, GA flying was popular in the 80's compared to today.

He's a show pony tool of a major EVIL money cult.
He always plays the SAME PERSON, the best at fill in the blank.
Top Gun was MTV drivel, admit it.
Go see Dunkirk instead.

It's entertainment, not suppose to be realistic or a documentary.

Scientology is/was a tax dodge.
You give $ to them, deduct full amount.
They use it to build a home, they take care of it, pay little taxes.
You get to stay in the home as it was yours.
They lost their tax status last year, don't know the latest.

I can't blame him for not wanting to pay taxes, especially how they waste it, like Tom Price and his personal jets.

That said, I'll probably get the DVD, his movies are generally entertaining.

Back