American Flyers-DuPage closing doors

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
I called this morning regarding the IFR ground class this weekend, the gal said the class is cancelled and the entire DuPage location will soon be permanently closing.

I guess I'll go back to Sheppard Air

Winter of 2003
My first flight in GA airplane was there. Back in the day they offered private and instrument courses in the Harper Community College - I signed up for both at the same time. Smart, I know. Did better on the instrument final than I did on the private. They had discounted intro rides afterwards - still remember it :)
My only involvement with the place though. Wonder how those instructors are doing, but don't even have their names anymore.
181050_10151348397338325_14822322_n.jpg

Is this true because I was thinking of going there for some stuff. Can anyone confirm this? Or source it

It's confirmed.
I write this post from their Addison location. YES

Too bad. Disappointing news. I recommend A&M out of Clow (temporarily Lewis while the new runway is being built at Clow). They are a great group. I got my private and instrument rating there.

I can also confirm. Buddy of mine was the director there until last week.

I did my IR ground school at Masterflight in Richmond IL. He has a good format to pass.

Maybe I'm wrong, but DuPage always seemed like a ghost town to me. Maybe it was just parking at that mammoth Taj-Mahal building that was always empty... At least every time I was there.

Not surprised, finished up my ppl there. Great instructors but very pricy. 250 for a 172 is pretty steep

I did my ground IFR at their Addison location.

Great program. I would not (could, but would not) pay their prices for flight training.

Proof that capitalism works
Price yourself out of the market and you will go under
I have no idea why they felt they had to have those kind of prices
WalMart has shown how to stay in business and prosper
Just bought a pair of tennis shoes there today and razor blades - brand names at a discount over other stores, so they have my dollars in their till now
ALDI is kicking butt in the grocery market segment right now. Focused right in like a laser on a limited number of brands of the best quality and kick butt prices
Proves what happens when you make the customer happy and wanting to come back

Just bought a pair of tennis shoes there today and razor blades - brand names at a discount over other stores, so they have my dollars in their till now
ALDI is kicking butt in the grocery market segment right now. Focused right in like a laser on a limited number of brands of the best quality and kick butt prices

So, with this in mind, how do you explain Nordstrom's? Up 9.8 percent quarter on quarter sales, and they certainly don't follow the "Walmart discount model"... :lol:

There is more to it than price! The happiest two days of my life (beside learning to fly), were the days I discovered I no longer had to "fly the redeye or at 6am", and the day I realized I no longer "Had" to shop at Wal-Mart.

99 days out of a 100 I gladly pay more to not step into the place. To each his own!

Denny said:

So, with this in mind, how do you explain Nordstrom's? Up 9.8 percent quarter on quarter sales, and they certainly don't follow the "Walmart discount model"... :lol:

There is more to it than price! The happiest two days of my life (beside learning to fly), were the days I discovered I no longer had to "fly the redeye or at 6am", and the day I realized I no longer "Had" to shop at Wal-Mart.

99 days out of a 100 I gladly pay more to not step into the place. To each his own!

Two models: Better Value (Nordstrom's), Lowest Cost (Walmart).

Sometimes I want one, sometimes I want the other. But if you're not the lowest price, you'd better understand what value you are providing.

John

I discovered how rare my wife and I are when our neighbors looked at us like we were insane when my wife told her we hadn't been inside Walmart in years.

It's nice to have either option, and depends on how the "luxury" store does (or doesn't) differentiate itself.

If anyone is looking for an alternative at DPA, try the Fox Flying Club.
http://www.foxflying.com/

As a former member and officer at Fox, it's good to see them mentioned. They do have multiple CFIs there and students in training all the time.

Now that said, it's only fair to point out that they aren't a flying school. Fox doesn't have a program like Flyers did. Doesn't have classrooms. Doesn't have simulators. And, perhaps most importantly, doesn't have availability like Flyers. I did my private as a Fox member, then went to Flyers for my instrument because in three or four months my schedule, my teachers schedule, airplane availability and the weather had only lined up three times at Fox. At Flyers I was able to get a plane and an instructor anytime I needed one and got the Instrument knocked out in about six weeks (which, IMO, is about perfect. I'm convinced that if you do one of the super accelerated programs you don't actually learn the stuff and that taking more than a couple months doesn't provide much added benefit).

All the CFI members at Fox have day jobs. So don't expect to be able to train on week days, though weeknights (particularly during the summer) are often possible.

Ok. So that's the downside.

The upside?

The people there are fabulous. It's a real community and you'll meet a wide variety of people, get to fly three different kinds of aircraft (including a complex) and the planes are kept in great condition by members who care.

Just don't think you're going to do an accelerated program with them and you'll be happy with the results.

Plus with a 172 that costs $105 wet and considering that you can get a CFI as low as $35/hour, you can save tons of money.

Plus with a 172 that costs $105 wet and considering that you can get a CFI as low as $35/hour, you can save tons of money.

Yeah, absolutely. Embarrassed I left that part out!

Back