American Airlines Hiring

David Dillinger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
David Dillinger
Anybody that might be interested: American Airlines is hiring 50 pilots per month, and that number will increase to 70 a month next year. Currently a 34 year Captain, and mentor there, and if anyone has any questions about qualifications, the Airline Academy or interviews; please feel free to reach out.

I have a friend who fly's for AA. He was happy to take a 6 month break during the height of the pandemic. He works a crazy long schedule, to the point he rents an apartment down south and only gets home every other month or so.

Everybody is planning to hire a record number of pilots. Unless you specifically live in an AA base, I'd target United, Delta, FedEx or UPS. If you don't care about long haul widebody flying, I'd put SWA on that list too.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very very good job and I'm not at all unhappy, but based on the number everyone is looking to hire in the next couple of years (barring covid shenanigans or other black swan event), anyone that meets the qualifications should be able to call their shot.

This direct entry into the major?

Or you have to do X years at a regional?

I have a friend who fly's for AA. He was happy to take a 6 month break during the height of the pandemic. He works a crazy long schedule, to the point he rents an apartment down south and only gets home every other month or so.

If he's doing that, it's because he chooses to. Not commute (I'm not one of those commuting is a choice guys), but once you're a lineholder it's pretty trivial to drop/trade down to just a few days per month - many times even zero. I'm junior in my seat and I dropped my December to a pair of two-day trips, then picked up four turns (day trips) for a total of 8 days and two nights. Now granted it'll be a lighter month pay-wise, but that's what's so cool - you can go light one month and hustle the next. But if he's gone that much, it's because he's out hustling for pay, not because of something specific to AA (or any airline, really).

Everybody is planning to hire a record number of pilots. Unless you specifically live in an AA base, I'd target United, Delta, FedEx or UPS. If you don't care about long haul widebody flying, I'd put SWA on that list too.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very very good job and I'm not at all unhappy, but based on the number everyone is looking to hire in the next couple of years (barring covid shenanigans or other black swan event), anyone that meets the qualifications should be able to call their shot.

Man, I hope so! I got apps out everywhere except AA. I was invited to do the online assessment at Delta, but didn't make the cut. I have a pretty decent job, but it will never be major airline good.

Man, I hope so! I got apps out everywhere except AA. I was invited to do the online assessment at Delta, but didn't make the cut. I have a pretty decent job, but it will never be major airline good.

Fingers crossed for you man! I think it's gonna happen - the numbers are just staggering.

If he's doing that, it's because he chooses to. Not commute (I'm not one of those commuting is a choice guys), but once you're a lineholder it's pretty trivial to drop/trade down to just a few days per month - many times even zero. I'm junior in my seat and I dropped my December to a pair of two-day trips, then picked up four turns (day trips) for a total of 8 days and two nights. Now granted it'll be a lighter month pay-wise, but that's what's so cool - you can go light one month and hustle the next. But if he's gone that much, it's because he's out hustling for pay, not because of something specific to AA (or any airline, really).
Next time Joe is in town I'll ask him. I worked on his 180 when he was in town but never directly asked him about his schedule. Joe has worked for AA for over 10 years, maybe he is doing the snowbird thing during the winter months, don't know.

Last edited:
Good luck. I took an assessment on which ones had the worst contract and needed pilots the most and put them on top of the list. Kinda like picking the lonely fat girl in the bar at 0155 hours. I figure any major is a good place to be compared to my current gig. Which is not terrible but never will be a major.

There is no such thing as direct entry into a major. Everyone comes from somewhere…

Does that somewhere have to be a regional?

As in what experience other than a regional get you in?

Amazing how things have changed. When I went to my AA interview. They were planning to hire about 49 in the next year. They had over 5000 qualified applicants on file. There were 6 of us in the morning and 6 in the afternoon. mini physical. Out of 2 days, so 24 applicants, 2 would make it to the second phase of the interview process. I made it through several, but ultimately wasn't successful because of an item in my family tree history. Amazing how things have changed!

UAL is hiring about 200/month right now. It's crazy.

Fingers crossed for you man! I think it's gonna happen - the numbers are just staggering.

Thanks! I sure hope so.

You could get hired at a major from a 91 or 135, but its a little bit harder to do. They definitely prefer people with previous 121 experience.

I know some guys that went from corporate directly to a major. To be honest they hire so many pilots there are not many backgrounds you don’t see. There are lots of direct entry from the military. Hell one of the flight attendants I work with just got accepted into United’s aviate program. She gets a free ride for all of her training and a jobs progression all the way to mainline. It’s a great opportunity for her and the others in the program. If one can get hired within the next couple of years it should be a great career. Just a big cycle. Unfortunately I was born out of sync. Last big hiring wave I didn’t have enough experience. Now I have to much.

Learn what compulsive behavior is and mimic that. Flying qualifications are a simple check in the box... you really want as much turbine multi as you can get.

Uh, the more diverse you are the better. Nuff said.

Good luck. I took an assessment on which ones had the worst contract and needed pilots the most and put them on top of the list. Kinda like picking the lonely fat girl in the bar at 0155 hours. I figure any major is a good place to be compared to my current gig. Which is not terrible but never will be a major.
Ahhh, you must be at Buffalo Airways based out of Yellow Knife, up in Canada, eh!

This direct entry into the major?

Or you have to do X years at a regional?
He won’t say it, but you have a much better chance at being hired off the street right now, than from a regional with “flow”. Flow is the carrot they use to keep the regionals, especially the wholly owneds, staffed.

I don’t think that has anything to do with the current hiring.
So, pilots being put on leave has nothing to do with hiring new ones?

Lots of older pilots said no way, I'm out. Plenty of pilots not ready to retire have been put on unpaid leave. They were going to hire all these new pilots anyway?

Got a friend at A.A. He said he extended his time a bit longer because they are tossing really nice incentives at him to stay.

Last edited:

Lots of older pilots said no way, I'm out. Plenty of pilots not ready to retire have been put on unpaid leave. They were going to hire all these new pilots anyway?
Edit:

not worth it…

Last edited:

Could be a factor, who knows for sure (other than HR). But I'm sure all of the younger guys (and gals) appreciate the opportunity nonetheless.

C.

One of my neighbors just moved up to AA from one of the regionals this month.

UPS will also be looking to hire 60/month this year. I saw FEDEX is trying for something like 75/month.

Great time to get hired if you’re wanting to fly for a living!

Listened to a woman today that was speaking for a group of airline pilots among others. There are 2000 United Airlines pilots suing United for grounding them for refusal to take the shot.

Juan Brown has a good video from a couple months back about near retirement pilots saying no thanks, I'll retire now instead.

Absent some corrupt judiciary interference, they're not going to win that one. The courts have held that not wanting to be vaccinated doesn't put you in a protected class. Barring a CBA to the contrary, the employer is free to fire you for not complying with whatever constraints they wish to impose.

Listened to a woman today that was speaking for a group of airline pilots among others. There are 2000 United Airlines pilots suing United for grounding them for refusal to take the shot.
2000 United employees. Only about 300 of them are pilots.

My understanding is that they are not contesting the vaccination mandate. They are contesting the reasonable accommodation, unpaid leave, that has been offered to those who have had their request for accommodation approved. I have no idea how likely they are to succeed.

My understanding is that they are not contesting the vaccination mandate. They are contesting the reasonable accommodation, unpaid leave, that has been offered to those who have had their request for accommodation approved. I have no idea how likely they are to succeed.
Something else that must not be overlooked is foreign governments entry requirements. Just WTF do people expect their employer to do when they operate overseas and that country requires everyone onboard to be vaccinated?

Something else that must not be overlooked is foreign governments entry requirements. Just WTF do people expect their employer to do when they operate overseas and that country requires everyone onboard to be vaccinated?

Delta now requires new hires to get the yellow fever shot before starting work. That is new.

Last edited:

Juan Brown has a good video from a couple months back about near retirement pilots saying no thanks, I'll retire now instead.

As of October, United had 232 TOTAL employees who faced termination over refusal to do the right thing. There definitely aren't 2000 pilots there who have done this.

Absent some corrupt judiciary interference, they're not going to win that one. The courts have held that not wanting to be vaccinated doesn't put you in a protected class. Barring a CBA to the contrary, the employer is free to fire you for not complying with whatever constraints they wish to impose.

If the argument is medical in nature, they have a better argument. If it is one of these fake religious objections, probably not much.

United's defense will almost certainly be that the accommodation is reasonable as it is not likely to be indefinite - these folks can come back after a couple years when mandates wane. It is a decent philosophical question, though I think United wins it in this situation - particularly with the "religious" ones.

This is actually a big deal right now. Canada has not technically required foreign air crews to be vaccinated yet, but I believe that starts in a week. That will cut off short haul as well as long haul pilots who already are mandated in most countries.

Delta now requires new hires to get the yellow fever shot before starting work. That is new.

They're smart to do it as well. If a pilot or flight attendant flies to Argentina one week, then South Africa the next, they could well have problems with South African immigration over not being immunized to yellow fever. South Africa even counts airport transit in some countries.

BTW - the yellow fever shot was the only shot I've had that was more painless than the COVID shot. It is subcutaneous.

If the argument is medical in nature, they have a better argument. If it is one of these fake religious objections, probably not much.
Not much at all. Unless they rise to the level of having a disability (and that may be a hard one for flight crews to argue), they don't get any mandated accommodation. Even with ADA involved, if the employer can argue it is essential to the job, they can deny the accomodation.

Back