America’s Secret Ice Base Won’t Stay Frozen Forever

Working in the environmental cleanup industry, I'll say, that is one cleanup I'm not volunteering to do. A more adventurous 30-year-old-me might have gone for it, but I also passed on couple chances to work in Adak, AK, so, yeah, that'll be a no from me.

I also passed on couple chances to work in Adak, AK, so, yeah, that'll be a no from me

You didn't go to Adak.?? They even have a McDonalds there. But it has been closed for several years now...

edcb7d2737b8b40b0fe229ee2459a6f9.jpg

That picture sums up what a beautiful summer day in Adak looks like. I can't tell if it's capturing the 30 kt winds though.

That picture sums up what a beautiful summer day in Adak looks like. I can't tell if it's capturing the 30 kt winds though.

I think the windbreaker I bought there back in the late 1970s referred to Adak as the birthplace of the winds. The first time I was there we had great weather. The rain fell straight down.

I don't wish to sound like a contrarian, but based on the title of the original article "Ice Base Won't Stay Frozen Forever" , it appears that the purpose of the article is advance the notion that global warming will eventually thaw out the former military base and lead to massive pollution. However, when one looks at the actual location of the base along with the average temps, it would take something along the lines of Armageddon to accomplish this event. Anyway, as we say down on the farm, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

I don't wish to sound like a contrarian, but based on the title of the original article "Ice Base Won't Stay Frozen Forever" , it appears that the purpose of the article is advance the notion that global warming will eventually thaw out the former military base and lead to massive pollution. However, when one looks at the actual location of the base along with the average temps, it would take something along the lines of Armageddon to accomplish this event. Anyway, as we say down on the farm, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

I've had quite enough of you trying to force journalist to actually use facts..... Quite enough sir! :D

It was disclosed the original article was written by a global warming group.

the last article I read about Adak was the base was totally destroyed by thieves that took every scrap that was worth anything.

It was also on "Secrets in the ice", History Channel, this week and a bunch of youtube videos. Some of the videos say IT MIGHT be exposed by Global warming. That is why it is being monitored. If this did happen, the odds are it will be an environmental disaster. Better to monitor than to ignore it completely and hope for the best.

I have actually read recent stories that Greenland is warming due to underground geothermal heating rather than anthropogenic atmospheric changes.

Greenland Ice Melt Geothermal, Not Man-made — Plate climatology

Last edited:
I’m sure the geothermal heat is from drilling

It's okay to drill. Just don't frac. Dear Lord, don't ever frac. 'cause you know that causes water to catch fire, along with many people's hair.

Note: This post should not be taken seriously

Back