Amelia Rose

Is it impossible to realize that speaking in absolutes completely ignores similarities?

Are you making an absolute statement?

How does speaking in absolutes ignore similarities?

For example, I assert that blue combined with yellow results in a green color, further I assert that green, yellow and blue are different.

Do you still claim that my absolute statement that blue and yellow combine to make green ignores similarities? Or do you see that the absolute statement in fact reinforces the commonalities shared by all three colors.

Maybe you just wanted to take a cheap shot at someone who asked a legitimate question because the answer may challenge your preconcieved notions?

And yes, I realize I cannot spell worth a darn. So find another way to light me up.

Sent from my iPad

Always, never, all, none, every, completely, absolutely, the best, the only, universal, unconditional, ultimate, greatest, easiest cheapest shot. No doubt about it. No shades of grey.

All I'm getting out of this whole deal from Amelia the 2nd is that "if you want to succeed as a lady pilot then you'd better be a hot blonde like me who looks great in leather pants and poses in six inch heels so people will pay attention to you and give you whatever you want." What a great inspiration for young women. I watched one of her speech videos and it just about made me puke.

All I'm getting out of this whole deal from Amelia the 2nd is that "if you want to succeed as a lady pilot then you'd better be a hot blonde like me who looks great in leather pants and poses in six inch heels so people will pay attention to you and give you whatever you want." What a great inspiration for young women. I watched one of her speech videos and it just about made me puke.

You're just a misogynist woman-hater :D

That is what caught my attention!!!

It's interesting, too, the kind of people who espouse such views. One might think it's the older pilots, but in general (caution: dangerous generalities ahead!), I have found the older crowd to be much more supportive. Some of the most sexist comments I have encountered have come from much younger pilots, perhaps because they view being a pilot as such a macho thing, that if a woman flies, it somehow takes away from that. Their loss.
That's been my experience too, that older male pilots tend to be more supportive than younger ones. The 70-ish aviation writer who sold me my Cardinal had it decked out with a "Women Fly" sticker behind the door when he brought it to me. I thought that was really cool.

Not that I've encountered a huge amount of sexism from younger male pilots either. People will say a lot of things from behind a keyboard that they would never say to your face.

You're just a misogynist woman-hater :D

I checked her profile - looks like she's just a jealous brunette. ;)

(I'm just an old bald white guy trying to figure out what the heck is going on so as to do the right thing - and failing at it.)

That's been my experience too, that older male pilots tend to be more supportive than younger ones. The 70-ish aviation writer who sold me my Cardinal had it decked out with a "Women Fly" sticker behind the door when he brought it to me. I thought that was really cool.

Definitely cool! Although I'm sure some people here would say he was being sexist by treating you differently than he would have treated a male purchaser.:rolleyes2:

(I'm just an old bald white guy trying to figure out what the heck is going on so as to do the right thing - and failing at it.)

Don't sweat it. In this kind of discussion, it's virtually impossible to do the right thing.:)

I'm staying out of this one, other than to say...

Direct eyewitness reports from her instrument ground school by a personal friend indicated a lack of willingness to be on time, even show up regularly, or study.

Commentary from three separate people indicated instructors were having a hard time getting through to her in the Cirrus.

That said, all the commentary that it's good PR for aviation, is correct. So if that's the goal, cool with me.

Capable and safe pilot? Maybe not. Hard to say. (At least the PC-12 has an autopilot. Did I say that out loud?)

I think we need a descendant of Pancho Barnes to take up the mantle in the current generation more than we need a defendant of Amelia.

If they're going to act similarly to their ancestors, that is.

;)

Anyone look to see what ratings she holds nowadays? I haven't. Kinda scared to look. I really do wish her well and her PR mission.

She apparently did a big kick-off party at my gun club. Somehow I missed the announcement and only saw it today. Wonder if the owner is a sponsor or similar...

Godspeed and tailwinds there Amelia Rose. At least you're following a dream which kicks about 99% of the world's lazy human butts.

Direct eyewitness reports from her instrument ground school by a personal friend indicated a lack of willingness to be on time, even show up regularly, or study.

Commentary from three separate people indicated instructors were having a hard time getting through to her in the Cirrus.

That said, all the commentary that it's good PR for aviation, is correct. So if that's the goal, cool with me.

Capable and safe pilot? Maybe not. Hard to say. (At least the PC-12 has an autopilot. Did I say that out loud?)

I think we need a descendant of Pancho Barnes to take up the mantle in the current generation more than we need a defendant of Amelia.

If they're going to act similarly to their ancestors, that is.

;)

Anyone look to see what ratings she holds nowadays? I haven't. Kinda scared to look. I really do wish her well and her PR mission.

She apparently did a big kick-off party at my gun club. Somehow I missed the announcement and only saw it today. Wonder if the owner is a sponsor or similar...

Godspeed and tailwinds there Amelia Rose. At least you're following a dream which kicks about 99% of the world's lazy human butts.

This is almost as good as Chris' "Im not participating in this thread" participation in another thread. :)

Though, I have read plenty of your posts and will agree that the above is "staying out of it" by comparison.

I hate crap like this. At best it's rumor mongering. At worst it is an poorly founded attack.

What does her pilot's certificate say? At least on two occasions a DPE thought she was a capable and safe pilot.

This is almost as good as Chris' "Im not participating in this thread" participation in another thread. :)

Though, I have read plenty of your posts and will agree that the above is "staying out of it" by comparison.
:rofl:

I really don't know what everyone is wrapped around the axle about. Flying around the world will be an achievement for her. Just like soaring 25 miles away from the airport was an achievement for me. I'm sure flying around the world is just so ho hum to you guys who do all the time, but she's never done it before.

She doesn't seem to be calling this anything other than it is.

That's been my experience too, that older male pilots tend to be more supportive than younger ones.
Older males firmly established in careers or nearing retirement (1) are no longer competing with women and (2) have daughters whom they want to succeed.

That tends to temper things a bit.

As some wag suggested out about the SCOTUS cell phone decision - a unanimous! decision upholding the privacy of cell phones from warrantless searches - it was unanimous because they all have one.

Ok, I'll confess ... I've lusted after the PC-12 for a long time now. :D

:rofl:

I really don't know what everyone is wrapped around the axle about. Flying around the world will be an achievement for her. Just like soaring 25 miles away from the airport was an achievement for me. I'm sure flying around the world is just so ho hum to you guys who do all the time, but she's never done it before.

She doesn't seem to be calling this anything other than it is.
This. I don't recall that she ever claimed that what she was doing was some incredible feat of airmanship. She's just sharing her adventure, albeit on a bigger scale than some do on their blogs, or here for that matter. Good for her for making her dream happen.

LOL. Kept typing. Should have stopped.

I hate crap like this. At best it's rumor mongering. At worst it is an poorly founded attack.

What does her pilot's certificate say? At least on two occasions a DPE thought she was a capable and safe pilot.

If I didn't know the eyewitness pilot personally, I wouldn't have said it. He's one of the most safety-conscious people I know and has a knack for analyzing people.

Anyway, if a DPE says good to go, I don't have any argument.

No worse than any other busy professional with little time to focus on aviation. I certainly know the feeling right now.

Have fun buzzing the planet in a PC-12. I'll be over at Earthrounders and dreaming about doing it in a 182. :)

I'm not pretty enough for a public send off party at the gun club if I ever do it. Ha. :) :) :)

LOL. Kept typing. Should have stopped.

Lol, Nate! :) I have a friend who, half way thru a very long story, will interrupt himself with "to make a long story short" and then continue on with the next few chapters. ... I bite my tongue when he says that ... wanting to blurt out "Too late!" :)

I appreciate your detailed responses here! :)

Older males firmly established in careers or nearing retirement (1) are no longer competing with women and (2) have daughters whom they want to succeed.

That tends to temper things a bit. . . .
Nothing like raising a daughter to put things in perspective.

This. I don't recall that she ever claimed that what she was doing was some incredible feat of airmanship. She's just sharing her adventure, albeit on a bigger scale than some do on their blogs, or here for that matter. Good for her for making her dream happen.

Yup!! :yes:

An image search for Amelia Rose definitely does not bring up the same woman.

I think in many, though certainly not all, cases, they have to fight attitudes and biases that make it even harder to progress than it already is for the average person trying to learn how to fly a plane.

So girls are not persons?

Umm... First off, I think she are one. ;)

Secondly... Maybe they're just not AVERAGE persons! :thumbsup:

An image search for Amelia Rose definitely does not bring up the same woman.

It does, just not in the first row or two... These results showed up in the first couple of screenfuls on a quick Google Images search for "Amelia Rose":

ameliaearhart-new.jpg

http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/articles/currentevents/ameliaearhart-new.htm

161199191.jpg

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nati...rt-Not-Related-to-Famous-Flyer-219249611.html

(Not gonna hotlink this one, it's huge): http://flywithamelia.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/rf3_7230.jpg

1376340202000-XXX-amelia-earhart-A.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/12/pilot-unrelated-to-legend/2644117/

144725_630x354.jpg

http://abc7chicago.com/society/amel...the-world-flight-in-honor-of-namesake/144726/

111229amelia-mom.jpg

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2011/December/29/This-is-what-I-must-do

Back