Am i too carefull?

Bottom Line - my HONEST opinion and only mine.

Are you being too careful?

Ummmm. Probably not. In my reflection, you probably made the right choice.

I think you getting your IR was a huge mistake and/or your instructors really let you down.

I wish you and your family lots of CAVU Burger Runs and safe flying.

Different people get ratings for different reasons. Some get the IR just to learn the system and become a well rounded pilot, yet opt not exercise all the privileges. I can’t figure why anyone cares..?? I was considering doing the same thing with tail wheel & seaplane.

Let the guy alone. If he doesn’t feel comfortable, let him be.
That said, I do think the posts that suggested he do this with an experienced IR pilot/CFII were on the mark, and highly encourage that.

I just can’t believe the snarky and demeaning comments from a certain poster. That is just flat out wrong to do.

Every flight has risk. You need to identify the risks, mitigate where you can, then determine if the level risk is justified. Setting personal minimums and not violating them is part of that.

Your actual simulated and actual IMC experience was certainly factor in your decision as you feel uncertain. That is not abnormal for a pilot with your instrument experience. It’s time to get back with a CFI and get more actual.

All seem to focus on the ceiling at the destination.
May concern was take-off area and enroute, what if you have an in-flight emergency and need to land quickly?

This is an issue with EVERY single engine IFR flight. If you consider it too risky fly above a cloud deck with MVFR ceilings, then you will virtually never fly IFR in a single. One normally has a plan for minor emergencies requiring a quick return on departure. Departure conditions at the departure airport are of course critical to making a go/no-go decision. But MVFR at the departure airport is pretty much the ideal IFR situation that gives you lots of options for minor or serious emergencies, while not condemning you to flying VFR XC squeezed between terrain and a low cloud deck. To get use out of the instrument rating, one needs to be comfortable flying IMC on departure and arrival, but generally you can get on top or between layers most of the time fairly quickly. But in benign weather, it is NBD to be the clag from departure to breakout at the destination, even in a light single. BTDT several times in widespread stratus due to large stubborn cutoff lows common in late spring or early summer in the NE quadrant. With modern weather products, it is possible to get a good idea of the current and forecast tops along your route, and they are usually pretty reliable. MVFR ceilings enroute and tops under 9-10K are pretty much ideal light IFR flying weather, assuming icing is not an issue.

One does have to have confidence in IFR abilities to use them safely, and if one is properly trained, one should already be equipped with the flight and decision-making skills to cope with IMC. If one does not have confidence in the necessary abilities, additional training and experience may be required to gain the necessary skills and confidence to fly in IMC safely. Flying IFR can be safe, fun, practical, and extremely satisfying, even in a simple single flib. Been doing it for 30+ years, recognizing the limits of a simple aircraft with modest performance. The more you do it, the more proficient and confident you can become. Getting feedback from a CFII during IPCs or whenever you think you need to brush off the rust is invaluable.

Back