Am I the Only One Glad When the Eclipse is Over?

I'll be glad when it's over as that will mean that I just saw my first and probably last total eclipse. I'll be very happy.

I hear what you're saying, but once it's over it's back to "your regularly scheduled heaping pile of cr@p" reporting.

No Glenn, you're not. My hangar neighbor flew to Wyoming just for the event. :dunno:

A Global Express just loaded up with 5 pax carrying nothing but lawn chairs. Round trip in one day direct to the eclipse path. 12-15k an hour.

Words fail me. They are far from the only ones.

A Global Express just loaded up with 5 pax carrying nothing but lawn chairs. Round trip in one day direct to the eclipse path. 12-15k an hour.

Words fail me. They are far from the only ones.

I thought you were supposed to fly a Lear Jet to see an eclipse. Or is that only if you are so vain?

There's so much "news" I don't care about... I'd rather hear about the Eclipse than the on-going "our protest is correct and your protest is wrong" or "we're not violent, we only burn cars and break windows, we don't hit PeOpLe"

So how about more Eclipses! Just make sure the next one is Lunar. Some day I'd like to witness a total eclipse of the Earth. That would be quite something.

I thought you were supposed to fly a Lear Jet to see an eclipse. Or is that only if you are so vain?

Groooaann. Lol.

Almost every outbound today is to the total eclipse zone. Checking zip codes of each destination airport. 100% for almost all. Nashville had a ground stop an hour ago.

I feel like there have been a lot of these in my lifetime and every one is always "going to be the last one for 80 million years"
I am going to check it out because it is available to be checked out.

I predict I will be more amused by the temp. darkness than anything else.
The level of hype is certainly high this go round.

By 2:00 everyone's facebook feed will be a seemingly endless stream of eclipse pics/vids.

I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon. The eclipse is interesting but it has fallen victim to what the internet does which is make everything seem 100X more amazing than it really is.

I know of 3 planes that are not scrambling for the eclipse viewing.

But on the "doesn't happen very often" front I will be flying (commercial) to San Francisco to see Paul Weller. Apparently he won't be playing in malice on this tour. Seeing him in a town called malice is like seeing KISS in Detroit, ROCK CITY!

The media is hyping this far and above all Trump's supposed sins. The US goes dark for a minute or so and the media would lead you to believe it is the end of the world as we know it. They need to get their poop in a scoop. The sun will rise Tuesday morning right on schedule.

When you have pages to fill, anything not routine daily happenings is BIG NEWS until the NEXT BIG NEWS.

Totally predictable events somehow are REALLY BIG NEWS.

Glad I won't be here for the next one which will be COSMICALLY TOTALLY AWESOME BIG NEWS.

Cheers

Yup. The skies have darkened daily for the last 3 billion years or so...

:lol::lol: But not very many people have seen it get dark during the daytime.....

For people that want to see darkness during the day, go to Barrow, AK during January.

I fear the eclipse. What if that global warming thing makes eclipses longer? it could be 4 minutes without sunlight falling on the "enlightened."

I'm sharpening the knives and loading the shotguns. It might get hairy out there!

I was in a total eclipse once. I honestly didn't think it was that big a deal. It was still light, although a bit dark, as though it were cloudy. The neatest things was the shadows were all wrong. It was cool, but certainly not worth traveling to see.

I guess that depends on your definition of day. If the sun does not rise, it it day? :dunno:

Our definition of day followed the civil twilight charts.....so there were times that there was not even civil twilight....... so I would say there had to be days that weren't days at all. Clears as mud..:lol::lol::lol:

The constant darkness bothered me a whole lot more than the constant summer daylight....

It must've been much more exciting when we knew nothing of orbital mechanics, and we thought the darkening of the sky was the result of angry gods or something.

Now...an asteroid hitting the earth? Count me in!

so will there, in fact, be a dark side of the moon?

It must've been much more exciting when we knew nothing of orbital mechanics, and we thought the darkening of the sky was the result of angry gods or something.

Now...an asteroid hitting the earth? Count me in!

So I end up seeing an asteroid coming directly for me while flying...

Most interesting observation is everything had a sort of undefined double shadow.

Well it's over here. 99.8% eclipsed from my view point.

I've been fed up with the bad eclipse reporting for days.
You are all aware that the eclipse is a racist event, right?
That's how one station has reported it.

I've been fed up with the bad eclipse reporting for days.
You are all aware that the eclipse is a racist event, right?
That's how one station has reported it.
Huh. I guess that makes me an eclipse-ist.

The interesting part was just how quickly it got dark. Slowly, the light intensity dropped until it looked like the kind of dark you get just before a heavy t-storm moves in. Then it got really dark, really quickly, like a switch was flipped. 2 minutes later the opposite happened and that was that.

Where is the intersection between the 2017 eclipse path and the 2024 eclipse path? The lucky few that live there can describe it as a twice in a lifetime event if they were born before August 2017.

Where is the intersection between the 2017 eclipse path and the 2024 eclipse path? The lucky few that live there can describe it as a twice in a lifetime event if they were born before August 2017.

I dunno, but do I see a TexasFest 2024 in our future?

I was in a total eclipse once. I honestly didn't think it was that big a deal. It was still light, although a bit dark, as though it were cloudy. The neatest things was the shadows were all wrong. It was cool, but certainly not worth traveling to see.
Awww, Michael, where's your sense of wonder ?? :rolleyes: ;)

Back