Am I allowed to do a touch n' go at an airport then depart?

Dmitri Scheidel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NorCali.Pilot
Tomorrow is my long XC, my instructor said I can do a touch and go at one airport, then stop/shut down and walk around at the other.

But is this allowed? Can I fly to another airport, do 1 or 2 touch and go's then just leave? (It's a class D airport)

You can do whatever you want. This is America. :yes: that's right! :yesnod:

edit: oops didn't notice the 'long xc' part. Regardless this is still America and you can do a touch and go but not for your official long xc requirement.

Last edited:
I have always told the tower "this will be my last touch and go, and I will be departing to the.." so they know ahead of time.

"This isn't Russia...is this Russia?"

Not sure how they do it now but back when I did my cross countries I stopped and had someone sign my log book. Arrived so and so airport, Billjoe JimBob.

ETA: Maybe my instructor didn't trust me. :p

I thought for the long xc you had to make a full stop at the two destination airports?

Correct.

From 61.109:

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations...

I suppose a stop-and-go would suffice, but why not taxi in and stretch your legs and hydrate?

To the OP: you really should be learning to find stuff in the FAR's. Took me about one minute to find the above, less than it took you to post your query here.

You can also do stop and gos on the runway if it is long enough as one of the "options."

Correct.

From 61.109:

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations;

I just looked this up too. @Dmitri Scheidel - your instructor is wrong.

Last edited:
I had three airports on my long XC. I did a stop and go at the class D, full stop and break at the next uncontrolled, then a touch and go at the last one.

Instructor may have said stop and go? Maybe you misinterpreted not shutting down with not stopping. Mine told me to have someone sign my log book at each stop as well. Then i proceeded to leave my logbook in the club car at the last stop, so don't do that.

Tomorrow is my long XC, my instructor said I can do a touch and go at one airport, then stop/shut down and walk around at the other.

But is this allowed? Can I fly to another airport, do 1 or 2 touch and go's then just leave? (It's a class D airport)

I had to do full stops at both airports during my long cross-country. I would doble-check if your instructor said "stop-and-go"? (Assuming runway length is long enough to do it safely - what I did in my case).

Enjoy your flight!

Edit: another user already recommended this

What about just doing a low pass down the runway and calling it good enough?

(removed this part to keep it calm in here) I have the plane for a small block and need to get it home for the next person who booked it. I will definitely do full stop taxi backs during the other solo XC trips.

Edit: THe second stop during this flight is KMOD, a proclaimed super nice airport for new people so my CFI recommended I stop and say hi to all the clubs.

Last edited:
I think I will see if I can get away with touch and go's this time. I have the plane for a small block and need to get it home for the next person who booked it. I will definitely do full stop taxi backs during the other solo XC trips.
You can't get away with it. You'll have to redo the cross country and do full stops in order for it to count. It will count towards your total cross country time but you can't count it as the "long" x country unless you make full stop landings.

Yup, have fun on your X/C

*I hope the quote option worked*
So they have to be full stops?

Edit: No it did not work. I'm refering to jordane's comment

Correct.

From 61.109:

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations...

I suppose a stop-and-go would suffice, but why not taxi in and stretch your legs and hydrate?

To the OP: you really should be learning to find stuff in the FAR's. Took me about one minute to find the above, less than it took you to post your query here.

That seems to happen quite a bit on here. People taking more time to ask us on POA for an answer when it is quite often quicker to just look it up. Looking it up is also very educational and helps to develop one's research skill set.

I think I will see if I can get away with touch and go's this time. I have the plane for a small block and need to get it home for the next person who booked it. I will definitely do full stop taxi backs during the other solo XC trips.

Edit: THe second stop during this flight is KMOD, a proclaimed super nice airport for new people so my CFI recommended I stop and say hi to all the clubs.

Wth... if you "get away with" it, you are being fraudulent to count it as your long solo xc.

He does know the rules and will correct me for everything tomorrow morning. He's not very responsive over text. Thus why I asked here.

I think I will see if I can get away with touch and go's this time.
You can touch n' go at an airport and then depart again; however, not in this instance. The FAR's clearly state they must be full stops. Ive known pilots who have the "I will see if I can get away with it" attitude and it ends up biting them in the rear at some point, don't be one of them.

Just realized how horrible that was worded XD. I'm not trying to "cheat" or short cut the system. Just curious what the specifics were as far as what I do at each stop.

I not only did full stops at each, but I got out, stretched my legs, grabbed food and chatted with other pilots. That's part of the fun. Have fun with it! Maybe rebook for a day that you can have the plane an extra hour or so.

Definitely. Expanding the block this time isn't possible because 3 people are behind me. But I have many other stops for the rest of the XC hours required at very interesting airports. (But I am stopping at Modesto this trip, there are apparently a TON of super nice aero clubs at the west part of the apron.)

As you progress as a pilot and actually begin to read and understand the myriad of regulations that we have, you will find that there are some that might not make any sense to you and some that you just don't like. Well, guess what? That doesn't matter. You must still comply with them. Yeah, you might be able to get away with a certain level or amount of noncompliance here and there, but you will not like what happens if you get caught.

Well, that's the problem with today's xc requirements. It use to be 300 nm (with no GPS) with 3 airports 100 nm apart. At that distance, you were glad to do a full stop, stretch your legs, get a soda, find the bathroom and have your logbook signed. Usually on the 2nd landing, re-fuel. Those days are long gone. Not much xc practice before getting their license to learn how to fly.

And again, we have a CFI that needs refresher training!!

Back