Altitude question

PiperPilot1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PiperPilot1
Hello Everyone!

I had a question about altitude tolerances and figured Id ask here.

Today I was flying in a Cub, breaking in a new engine, so I was circling over the airport above the TPA. I fly out of a class D so tower tells me to just make left traffic at 1500ft. above normal TPA (1000).

Im enjoying the view, checking temps/pressures and hit a couple nasty updrafts and shoot up 150ft then back down 150ft to my TPA. This happens a couple times during my flight and I go in and land an hour later. Im fairly sure this is not a big deal but was still curious, is this something to worry about? ATC never said anything, but still I just got my certificate and want to always be on the safe side. I asked another pilot friend who said they ATC dosent really care unless you are off by +/- 300ft....but I figured Id just ask here. Thanks again!!

Nothing to worry about. They most likely know about the updrafts, and typically 200' or less they won't say anything. More than that they might, but it depends. 300' and you might get a radio call with the altimeter setting.... As a gentle nudge :)

Here I was just thinking the feds were coming after me lol
In all seriousness, it’s good to know that small deviations are not an issue. Common sense says it shouldn’t be, but I still I figured It would be wise to ask. Thank you!

You were VFR in nobody’s airspace. Technically you weren’t required to talk to the controller. No harm no foul.

Tower knew why and what you were doing. If there was a problem they’d let you know.

If your out on a bumpy day,ask ATC for a block altitude due to the bumps.

Here I was just thinking the feds were coming after me lol
In all seriousness, it’s good to know that small deviations are not an issue. Common sense says it shouldn’t be, but I still I figured It would be wise to ask. Thank you!
If small deviations were an issue, a whole bunch of us would be in deep doo-doo!

If small deviations were an issue, a whole bunch of us would be in deep doo-doo!
Especially so in my lightweight experimental. Thermals during the summer season, when down low, can give some amazing altitude changes ... :yes:

Vfr - see and avoid. Not the end of the world if you’re off a bit. Always try and improve, but no reason to stress about a minor lapse.

If your out on a bumpy day,ask ATC for a block altitude due to the bumps.
Well, if he is VFR, it certainly isn't necessary unless he's getting advisories and has been told to notify ATC of altitude changes. If on an IFR clearance, bumps usually are not significant enough to need a block altitude.

Hello Everyone!

Today I was flying in a Cub, breaking in a new engine, so I was circling over the airport above the TPA. I fly out of a class D so tower tells me to just make left traffic at 1500ft. above normal TPA (1000).

Im enjoying the view, checking temps/pressures and hit a couple nasty updrafts and shoot up 150ft then back down 150ft to my TPA. This happens a couple times during my flight and I go in and land an hour later. Im fairly sure this is not a big deal but was still curious, is this something to worry about? ATC never said anything, but still I just got my certificate and want to always be on the safe side. I asked another pilot friend who said they ATC dosent really care unless you are off by +/- 300ft....but I figured Id just ask here. Thanks again!!

Hello Everyone!

Unless you have a transponder in the Cub, how would they know?

Any deviations they care about and the conversation might start with them requesting you to "say altitude" as a polite nudge.

Thank you all for the replies... Well I was inside a class D, and my plane does have a transponder. ATC didn't mention anything...but I guess it helps that its a busy training airport, with some committing far worse "sins"...haha. But i figured Id check on here and see what ya'll have to say. Thanks again!!

Correct me if Im wrong, but aren't VFR altitude tolerances are +/-200', IFR +/-100'. So if you were VFR, you were within your tolerance without any issues.

Correct me if Im wrong, but aren't VFR altitude tolerances are +/-200', IFR +/-100'. So if you were VFR, you were within your tolerance without any issues.
There isn’t a difference between VFR and IFR. Tolerance for mode C validation is less than 300 ft of what’s reported. Odds of a tower controller even looking at radar when the OP deviated or even caring, pretty slim. They might not have even validated his altitude to begin with.

There isn’t a difference between VFR and IFR. Tolerance for mode C validation is less than 300 ft of what’s reported. Odds of a tower controller even looking at radar when the OP deviated or even caring, pretty slim. They might not have even validated his altitude to begin with.
I have no idea why I was thinking there was a +/-200' tolerance for VFR. Brainfart tonight. Thanks!

I'd argue that tower gave you an instruction that assigned an altitude in controlled airspace so you are required to comply with that. The question is how much deviation from that is allowed, but I agree that you would never be busted for being that amount off. A problem might arise if an aircraft assigned to 1000 feet who was below you was off by the same amount, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over that happening either. You might get a request to "say altitude", in which case they'd probably be happier if you just said the assigned altitude.

Back