Alternate missed instructions - GTN750

mryan75

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
mryan75
Hi all,

Let’s say before you begin an approach (this generally happens when you’re flying practice approaches in VMC), ATC says “missed approach instructions are climb straight ahead to 3,000, maintain VFR”. How would you deal with this using the 750 (or 650 for that matter)? When you reach the MAP, you have two options: activate the (published) missed approach, or remain suspended. I’m assuming you would want to hit “remain suspended” if anything (after you’re safely reconfigured and climbing away from the ground of course).

I know this is going to happen on my IR checkride Tuesday and of course I’ve had it happen before, but frankly I’ve never known what exactly is the right course of action. Checked the King GTN Course, the manual and Google, haven’t seen an answer to this specific question.

Thanks!

I would do exactly the same thing as I would do if I were landing. Ignore the GPS :D

More seriously, I'd "remain suspended." From a GPS operation standpoint, it really doesn't matter. You are still going to have access to the flight plan for the next step. But from a human factors POV, I think most of us would find it difficult if not downright disorienting to "climb runway heading to 3000" while GPS is commanding a left turn.

(LOL. IFR, they are not going to say, "remain VFR" on a real missed approach.)

(LOL. IFR, they are not going to say, "remain VFR" on a real missed approach.)
Yeah, I understand, it’s just that every time I’ve gotten that in training I sort of fumble about wondering what to do with the GPS at the missed, and I don’t want to be doing that on Tuesday.

Appreciate the answers, gents!

I’d leave suspended and upon reaching the altitude restriction of 3000 reconfigure for your next task.
This. Might even start getting configured for what comes next before reaching 3000 if I was all caught up with the plane.

This. Might even start getting configured for what comes next before reaching 3000 if I was all caught up with the plane.
Sure, but don't rush it. At most there's not much you have to do except load the next waypoint and you can always ask for a vector while you set things up. But heck, if you know what's coming next before you begin the approach, pre-load it.

You are flying the airplane, not the GPS. Use the GPS to help you fly the airplane. Ignore the GPS when you don't need it.

Your clearance is to fly runway heading and climb to 3,000'. You don't need the GPS for that so leave it alone and fly your heading and climb to your altitude. When you need your GPS again then reprogram it for your new clearance and use it again.

Flying the big jets we call that de-automating. If the automation isn't helping you, drop down to a lower level of automation. Sometimes, you drop down to hand-flying the pitch, power, airspeed, heading, and altitude.

You have a vector. Set a bug and fly it, worry about the GPS at the appropriate time. Fly straight ahead and climb is a very simple instruction, don't make it more complicated.

You are flying the airplane, not the GPS. Use the GPS to help you fly the airplane. Ignore the GPS when you don't need it.

Your clearance is to fly runway heading and climb to 3,000'. You don't need the GPS for that so leave it alone and fly your heading and climb to your altitude. When you need your GPS again then reprogram it for your new clearance and use it again.

Flying the big jets we call that de-automating. If the automation isn't helping you, drop down to a lower level of automation. Sometimes, you drop down to hand-flying the pitch, power, airspeed, heading, and altitude.
There was a video on here. It was a few years ago. Some I'm guessing chief pilot talking to a class of pilots about that. Good video.

Back