Altering/Fixing/Maintaining Your Aircraft

I consider LSA/SP to be a boon to GA. It may not be written exactly as I would have done it, but it's a step in the right direction.

Not sure what we'll get with the part 23 re-write. It may not be better than what we have now. I'm a real critic of all things federal including the FAA for the most part, but the FAA isn't going away, and as long as they exist, they can be instructed(as they have been with the OSA debacle) by congress to shape up and get on with it. Same thing happened with the drone regs, and next-gen.

1. The re-write will do little to nothing. The FAA may reduce requirements but in reality the manufacturer must decide to take more risk by doing less. That may not be acceptable by the unions/shareholders/insurers etc. Similar to the minimum requirements to pilot helicopter air ambulance operators, the field has a poor track record despite many operators having set minimum requirements higher than what the FAA has.

2. Only certified aircraft will be allowed in commercial ops, ever.

3. The current variety of certified airplanes are so diverse it drives up costs per new copy sold. If that was reduced to fewer different models but increase popularity of remaining models in production, that would in theory reduce engineering, tooling and productions costs of those models built. The market has a long track record with many manufacturers going in and out of bankruptcy time and time again.

We have essentially two piston engine makers, and a multitude of piston aircraft manufacturers.

Back