All things Keurig

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
I didn't want to derail the pet peeve thread so I thought I'd start a new one.

I like the convenience of mine, but making coffee the old-fashioned way doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. But my wife refuses to ever go back. We get a new K60, the basic model, every year because that seems to be the lifespan of the heater. It seems to be a month or two longer if I turn it off during the day. Each December I'll find one on sale and will pick it up as a spare and within a month or so we have to replace the old one.

1. Do you leave yours on 24/7?

2. What's your favorite brand of Kcup?

3. Any good Kcup bargains to be found?

4. I was at WM last night and saw a 2.0 machine for $79, about $30 less than I normally pay for the K60. What's the downside to the 2.0, other than you have to get legit Kcups, which I always have?

My wife won't drink anything other than Starbucks Kcups. That's a little rich for me and I get the case of 50 store-brand medium roast for $15. Occasionally I may pick up Folgers, MH, or another brand, but I really can't tell much difference between medium roasts. There are some off-brands that look and taste like water, so I avoid those.

I have a Keurig at the weekend place (during the week we use the Jura J9.3).

1. I use the auto sleep mode on mine to put it to bed after 2 hours.
2. All K-cups come from Green Mountain Coffee. They are the only ones authorized to use that trademark. They use number of brands to market coffee in the cups.

That being said, I purchase coffee in "Keurig compatible" coffee pods from www.freshroastedcoffee.com up in Selinsgrove, PA. They make some excellent offerings including 100% Kona from Lions Gate Farms (the same people I buy my unroasted beans for that I use in the Jura).

There are some mail order places to order regular K-Cups... BigCatCoffee used to be good but I stopped ordering from them when they jacked up the price of free shipping to $75. I guess now they've dropped it back down to $50.

Oddly, the cheapest place around here are Costco (including your Starbucks if you like the medium roast they have) and Lowe's to buy real K-Cups.

I have two 1.0 machines, but I've used a 2.0. You can easily fool a 2.0 machine into processing non-GMC cups by cutting a bit of the foil lid off a legit k-cup and stuffing it in the sensor. There are You Tube videos on how to accomplish this.

One of my favorite drinks is the Gevalia (non-GMC) cappuccino drinks. They have a real coffee in the k-pod and you dump the milk and flavor in via a seperate little packet. Stay away from the GMC mocha flavors these use instant coffee hand a horrendously sweet artificial flavoring inside the k-cup itself.

Last edited:
Our kids gave us a Keurig machine last Christmas. Yes, it's convenient and tidy, but I've yet to have anything from a K-cup (Starbucks included) that compares to the coffee I'd make myself with a conventional drip machine.

As often as not I'll just use the Keurig (with no K-cup in it) as a convenient source of hot water for tea or my favorite herbal non-coffee drink, Teeccino.

We use the 2-hour shutoff feature and haven't had any difficulty with it.

I'm on my second machine, both 1.0 types. I'm not a big coffee drinker, one cup a day, maybe two on the weekend. I make my cup or two and shut the machine off myself. My first one just started making whatever size cup it felt like after a while. You might get 4 ozs or 6 or 8, you never knew.

Our kids gave us a Keurig machine last Christmas. Yes, it's convenient and tidy, but I've yet to have anything from a K-cup (Starbucks included) that compares to the coffee I'd make myself with a conventional drip machine.

+1...

I get my cups from Costco. In-laws but them directly from Keurig website.

K cup coffee, well, they all tastes like stale water to me. I'll drink it if it's the only coffee available, but if anyone thinks its a good cup, its clear to me they are from a Maxwell house pedigree.

Blllggggaaaaa......I have two K cupmachinees. Both are dusty.

HamiltonBeach BrewStation. A damned good cup of coffee; hot, black, and strong. Best cup since I gave up my percolator (by Faberware, btw!).
There is a Kmachine at work which I occasionally use and my auto mechanic installed one which he asks for donations for the jimmy fund. Both are okay. I prefer the dark roast.

I have one, but it never gets used. I guess that says something. But my wife and I do not like flavored coffee, and that is what it seems most suited to.

We use ours because I am decaffeinated and my wife is not, otherwise a pot of coffee would be better.

I have three machines,two are single cup. I prefer newmans own decaf,or Dunkin donuts decaf. Also have an adapter that I can use custom blends.

K cup coffee, well, they all tastes like stale water to me. I'll drink it if it's the only coffee available, but if anyone thinks its a good cup, its clear to me they are from a Maxwell house pedigree.

Used a K machine at work last year. The serving size is small, the coffee is weak. Used the same cup at Chick Fil A one morning, a Small coffee from them was more full than the largest setting on the K machine, as well as tasting much better.

Had to get a new, small mug as my favorite ceramic ones are too tall to fit the machine. A small travel mug fits them well.

If it tasted better, I might think about it, although the thought of spending $100 or more on a coffee maker is revolting. Now, I just fill my large Yeti cup once and it's still warm several hours later when I finish it off.

If my choice is free K coffee or nothing, I'll drink it. Real coffee is so much better. If you can't drink "a whole pot," there are two options: brew less (I often fill mine to six cups, with five scoops of coffee), or get a smaller machine. I have a couple of free 4-cup coffee makers, my wife uses one for hot water at work. Seems they came from Gevalia, with some free coffee.

Hmm, I have had an original Keurig for 7+ years and twice in that time the tube that pierces the cup clogged (2nd time was yesterday). I use it twice in the morning and turn it off then unplug it before leaving for work.

I can't stand the bitter dirt Starbucks sells, I'll stick to my DunkinDonuts weak pee.

I have a Keurig at the weekend place (during the week we use the Jura J9.3).

1. I use the auto sleep mode on mine to put it to bed after 2 hours.
2. All K-cups come from Green Mountain Coffee. They are the only ones authorized to use that trademark. They use number of brands to market coffee in the cups.

That being said, I purchase coffee in "Keurig compatible" coffee pods from www.freshroastedcoffee.com up in Selinsgrove, PA. They make some excellent offerings including 100% Kona from Lions Gate Farms (the same people I buy my unroasted beans for that I use in the Jura).

There are some mail order places to order regular K-Cups... BigCatCoffee used to be good but I stopped ordering from them when they jacked up the price of free shipping to $75. I guess now they've dropped it back down to $50.

Oddly, the cheapest place around here are Costco (including your Starbucks if you like the medium roast they have) and Lowe's to buy real K-Cups.

I have two 1.0 machines, but I've used a 2.0. You can easily fool a 2.0 machine into processing non-GMC cups by cutting a bit of the foil lid off a legit k-cup and stuffing it in the sensor. There are You Tube videos on how to accomplish this.

One of my favorite drinks is the Gevalia (non-GMC) cappuccino drinks. They have a real coffee in the k-pod and you dump the milk and flavor in via a seperate little packet. Stay away from the GMC mocha flavors these use instant coffee hand a horrendously sweet artificial flavoring inside the k-cup itself.

Have you considered a new wife?

I have no use for K-cup coffee, which I find weak, bland, and lacking in aroma, so I can't help you there. I grind my own.

But I can suggest that you buy your next coffee maker at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Then you can just take it back and get a new one when it dies, and the next time, and the time after that, ad infinitum as far as I can tell. If they have a limit on how many times you can get a dead coffee maker swapped out for a new one, I certainly haven't reached it. I think I'm on the third or fourth swap at the moment.

Rich

Have you considered a new wife?

Rich

You must be talking to the OP. My wife won't tolerate much other than 100% Kona freshly roasted most days. I've even taught her how to run the coffee roaster in case I'm not around.

You must be talking to the OP. My wife won't tolerate much other than 100% Kona freshly roasted most days. I've even taught her how to run the coffee roaster in case I'm not around.

You are correct. I quoted the wrong post. My apologies to your wife.

Rich

I didn't want to derail the pet peeve thread so I thought I'd start a new one.

I like the convenience of mine, but making coffee the old-fashioned way doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. But my wife refuses to ever go back. We get a new K60, the basic model, every year because that seems to be the lifespan of the heater. It seems to be a month or two longer if I turn it off during the day. Each December I'll find one on sale and will pick it up as a spare and within a month or so we have to replace the old one.

1. Do you leave yours on 24/7?

2. What's your favorite brand of Kcup?

3. Any good Kcup bargains to be found?

4. I was at WM last night and saw a 2.0 machine for $79, about $30 less than I normally pay for the K60. What's the downside to the 2.0, other than you have to get legit Kcups, which I always have?

My wife won't drink anything other than Starbucks Kcups. That's a little rich for me and I get the case of 50 store-brand medium roast for $15. Occasionally I may pick up Folgers, MH, or another brand, but I really can't tell much difference between medium roasts. There are some off-brands that look and taste like water, so I avoid those.

I'm a chai tea latte guy, mostly I just drink from the kuregs at FBOs at odd hours, it's free and I'm waiting around anyway.

My girl bought me a smaller kureg, has a touch screen, not sure the exact model, for making straight coffee or tea it's pointless, but for a latte or mocha it's great.

Leave it plugged in but not warming, I just get the walmart cups, probably could get a better deal on amazon or something.

I have one of the K40 brewers I got for Christmas. I like it because I only drink one cup and usually I'm quick to get out the door so I just want something fast.

1. I do leave mine on 24/7 but after the above post about the heater going out I will start turning it off(especially since the time it takes to heat up is about how long it takes me to put the shoes on.

2. I like the Caribou coffee but I also brew a lot of teas with it(Twining Peppermint is pretty good) and iced teas/juices in it as well.

3. Had a lot of discount coupons for Keurig.com. Sometimes find them on clearance in Target or other grocery stores. I have one of the filters to add your own coffee and usually brew some of the special blends from local coffee shops around my neighborhood.

4. Not sure. Seems like they update or come out with new ones all the time. Looked online to see exactly which on I have just now and realized they have cold brewers now!

If this breaks will I get a new one?....Probably not. My friends have some really nice french press mugs, think I will just start using one of those.

I have the cheap Keurig machine that you pour you water in each time. It is probably 6 years old, use it daily and still works perfect. My 3 favorite K cups are
wild mountain blueberry (very awesome)
Starbucks Vanilla
Folgers Black silk

We spent a week house sitting for some friends in Billings last month. The only coffee maker in the house was a Keurig (don't know which model). I'd never used one before. My wife doesn't drink coffee so I thought the single serve machine would work out fine.

The only K-cups on hand were from Costco. Made coffee that tasted like love by the lake. I found some Peet's dark roast cups at Wally World. Those made pretty decent coffee.

After a week with the Keurig I decided that I wasn't ready to trade my French press and fresh ground coffee for one. The machine was convenient, but it seemed like a somewhat expensive alternative to the simple, inexpensive method I've been using.

Mark

We spent a week house sitting for some friends in Billings last month. The only coffee maker in the house was a Keurig (don't know which model). I'd never used one before. My wife doesn't drink coffee so I thought the single serve machine would work out fine.

The only K-cups on hand were from Costco. Made coffee that tasted like love by the lake. I found some Peet's dark roast cups at Wally World. Those made pretty decent coffee.

After a week with the Keurig I decided that I wasn't ready to trade my French press and fresh ground coffee for one. The machine was convenient, but it seemed like a somewhat expensive alternative to the simple, inexpensive method I've been using.

Mark

It took me quite a while to buy into the whole "k-cup" thing. But using the traditional method I found that I would drink a whole pot of coffee myself in the morning. Simply because it was there and I like coffee.

When I switched to the Keurig, the coffee got better, but because of the cost I'm not drinking as much. I enjoy it a bit more and while it probably hasn't saved me any money, I do think my caffeine intake has gone down from where it was.

The first time I was introduced to any sorta K-cup machine was when I was teaching business classes at Tropicana like 15 years ago. They had this really cool setup with all kinds of coffee and a single serving machine.

I gave up on french presses years ago. I use my super-auto to make coffee at home. When at Oshkosh, we switched from my REI french press, which was a pain in the butt to clean out each day, to the Aeropress, which makes much better coffee than a french press and is far easier to clean.

I use a french press at home. We have a "commercial" Kuerig at work and it's got settings for 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12 ounce brews. I've learned that if I use 2 K-cups for my 12 ounce mug (making 2 6 ounce brews) the coffee is pretty good. If I use one K-cup for my 12 ounce mug, it's pretty weak.

I like flavored coffee so this is nice as we keep a pretty good selection on hand. We buy it via the web and get them pretty cheap. The only thing that doesn't work well is when a meeting breaks up and everybody wants coffee at once.

John

Don't have a Keurig here but I am curious which of you, if any, will be buying the Keurig Kold soda machine when it comes out?

David

My local fuel chain (QuikTrip) sells it's QT medium roast coffee in K-cups and it comes out pretty well in the std coffee mug. Could be a little stronger, but that's the price of having it quick-n-easy. I normally only have a cup or two on the weekends, so making coffee with the standard pot is cumbersome and keeping fresh coffee grounds around is a hassle for such infrequent use. We leave ours plugged in, but it's never "on" unless we're using it.

Brewed in the morning, Ronnoco truck stop coffee during the day (my favorite), Keurig Green Mountain at night. On and off, no problems with Keurig.

I have never drank a cup of coffee in my life, but I have a couple Keurig machines. One at the dealership which gives customers and employees fresh coffee on demand, another at home which my wife uses a couple times a week for a cup. And I guess we have one at the beach too, but like I said I don't drink coffee. :)

I have never drank a cup of coffee in my life, but I have a couple Keurig machines. One at the dealership which gives customers and employees fresh coffee on demand, another at home which my wife uses a couple times a week for a cup. And I guess we have one at the beach too, but like I said I don't drink coffee. :)

They're not bad for hot chocolate or getting a cup of boiling hot water quickly.

I like the convenience factor. It's quick and easy to clean up. My kids like the hot chocolate and chi tea.
My favorite brew is Tully's French Roast.

I more or less lost my taste for coffee a couple years ago although I will sometimes order a latte or use a Keurig machine for coffee at an FBO.

I don't see the convenience for tea or hot chocolate drinkers. There's the tea bag (or hot chocolate mix) and the microwave...

Used a Keurig-type machine at a hotel in Vienna last week. This was my first hands-on experience with one, as I'm a big Bunn coffee maker fan at home.

Impressions:

1. A one-cup coffee maker is the Devil's work. I like coffee, a lot, and giving me a single cup is like eating one potato chip.

2. It sounded like a freaking lawn mower. Trying to brew a cup while Mary grabbed 10 more minutes of sleep got me the stink-eye, big time.

3. For the tiny amount of coffee, it sure made a bunch of trash. Europe has gone so nuts on the environment that I'm surprised they are legal.

All in all, it was better coffee than the tepid water with a dissolved brown crayon in it that most motels provide -- but that's damned with faint praise.

I will stick to my Bunn.

Not a Keurig fan. Had a couple but replaced them with Saeco machines. Now replaced one of those with a Jura. Will get another Jura eventually. I prefer fresh whole beans and grinding at brew time.

“A cup of coffee – real coffee – home-browned, home ground, home made, that comes to you dark as a hazel-eye, but changes to a golden bronze as you temper it with cream that never cheated, but was real cream from its birth, thick, tenderly yellow, perfectly sweet, neither lumpy nor frothing on the Java: such a cup of coffee is a match for twenty blue devils and will exorcise them all.”Henry Ward Beecher.

Back