All things Keurig

3. For the tiny amount of coffee, it sure made a bunch of trash. Europe has gone so nuts on the environment that I'm surprised they are legal.

A lot of trash? A K-Cup isn't any more trash than a used filter full of soggy coffee grounds for a single cup. The thing that adds up is when you're making 4-6 cups or more, which generates a lot of trash compared to the regular filter/grounds. If making coffee for several people, the K-cup is a poor solution unless everyone has to have a different blend/flavor.

Not a Keurig fan. Had a couple but replaced them with Saeco machines. Now replaced one of those with a Jura. Will get another Jura eventually. I prefer fresh whole beans and grinding at brew time.

Having gone through a COUPLE of SAECO-gut machines (the Miele coffee station that I used to have in my previous house is really a SAECO inside), I can tell you the Jura is a hundred times better. It's more reliable and it makes FAR better coffee than the SAECO.

A lot of trash? A K-Cup isn't any more trash than a used filter full of soggy coffee grounds for a single cup. The thing that adds up is when you're making 4-6 cups or more, which generates a lot of trash compared to the regular filter/grounds. If making coffee for several people, the K-cup is a poor solution unless everyone has to have a different blend/flavor.

Further a lot of the non-GMC keurig pods do away with the outer plastic cup. They just have the foil lid and the filter liner.

Think about it this way Jay, a K-cup is a lot neater in your hotel rooms than the other in-room coffee makers are with the loose grounds. A K-cup makes passable coffee. The other single cup in room coffee offerings are usually aboslutely ATTROICIOUS (I'll run down to the lobby and get the cup from the Bunn-o-matic before trying to run a non-Keurig in room setup).

Think about it this way Jay, a K-cup is a lot neater in your hotel rooms than the other in-room coffee makers are with the loose grounds. A K-cup makes passable coffee. The other single cup in room coffee offerings are usually aboslutely ATTROICIOUS (I'll run down to the lobby and get the cup from the Bunn-o-matic before trying to run a non-Keurig in room setup).

We use specially made pillow packets of Wolfgang Puck coffee, and TWELVE CUP COFFEE MAKERS for our coffee service in all of our rooms.

No loose grounds. :)

I am a coffee fanatic. When you stay at my hotel, you get real, good coffee -- and a lot of it.

Last edited:
High end hotels I've visited use Nespresso machines in rooms. Good coffee, too. If nothing else I get to daydream about Penelope Lopez over coffee. Not a bad way to start the day.

We keep little coffee grounds bins by our machines and empty them into the gardens. No paper filters in our house.

I don't understand why you folks just don't have the manservants make your coffee in the morning with fresh beans flown in and roasted the night before. Sheesh.

We use specially made pillow packets of Wolfgang Puck coffee, and TWELVE CUP COFFEE MAKERS for our coffee service in all of our rooms.

No loose grounds. :)

I am a coffee fanatic. When you stay at my hotel, you get real, good coffee -- and a lot of it.

HEY!
I didn't get any... You must have drank it all.

We have a Keurig but seldom use it. I was so excited to get one -until I tasted the coffee. I've tried several different types, but, like others have said, nothing tops a regular drip coffee maker.

I do have one at work for my staff, and they love it and use it like crazy. Either they turn it off or it shuts off by itself, I'm not sure. It's never on when I go in there. We've had it about a year, and so far there's been no problems. Bryan and I have had ours for 2 years without any issues, but, like I said, it doesn't get used much at all.

By the way we have had two Keurigs. Hard well water will kill them. I didn't feel like taking number one apart when he croaked. Number two was recently banished from the kitchen (Karen took him to her workplace for her tea) and the same Mr. Coffee model we bought over ten years ago that's still running strong in the fifth wheel, was bought for the kitchen again.

It's the one with the stainless steel thermal carafe and no hot plate. Only design change they made in over ten years was that the lid on the removable water bin isn't attached anymore.

I got a chuckle out of the whole "I always made a whole pot" comment. I just put half the water and half the coffee in to fix that problem. ;) But around here it's only a problem because I have to leave for work. On work from home days, the whole pot is fine.

It stays plenty hot in that carafe until long after lunchtime. I often just take the carafe to the home office and set it behind the computer monitor to save having to bother going to the kitchen if I'm really busy.

We have one but I usually fill the little fake Kcup with real coffee. But Publix had Peppermint Stick coffee cups. I generally dont do the flavored coffee but I bought it and it was pretty tasty!

I don't understand why you folks just don't have the manservants make your coffee in the morning with fresh beans flown in and roasted the night before. Sheesh.

Not everyone lives in the wealthy area of Denver. :D

David

That's a great idea!

Will have to start doing this. Do you have a spare manservant you could loan me for a while?

That's a great idea!

Will have to start doing this. Do you have a spare manservant you could loan me for a while?

We use the California ex-pats that move here. They're pretty cheap. They'll work for snow tires and tow straps and the occasional pull out of the ditches.

You gotta find a local source. Never use professionals. They're expensive.

Not everyone lives in the wealthy area of Denver. :D

Available in Texas also! See?

??

Coffee service is part of our delivered breakfast. It comes in the basket -- if you order it.

I'm trying to lower expenses even further by teaching these two to do it, but while they listen well, they're lacking opposable thumbs which is hindering training.

a0f0b7d15d6088a524a462a7b3a413e9.jpg

Don't have a Keurig here but I am curious which of you, if any, will be buying the Keurig Kold soda machine when it comes out?

David

I will definitely not. It's expensive, HUGE, and from what I am seeing online, they don't taste as good as regular cans/bottles. I could see an FBO or office offering it up to their employees/customers to give them a large variety of choices that will fit in a small drawer. An 8 ounce coke from the Kold will cost $1.25. The way they get carbonation is with some mineral in the pod that is saturated with CO2 that is apparently harmful if swallowed. If you thought the regular k-cups were an environmental nightmare...These look even worse.

I'm not sure what the wife uses in kitchen...as long as its delivered bed side in the morning I am good...

I had a Keurig for a few years, and other than that pump making a ton of noise, I never had any issues with it. It took me some time to find K-Cups that produced coffee dark enough for my taste, and even then, it never quite got to where I wanted it to be. But when you're in a hurry out the door and you just want one cup for your travel mug, the convenience is hard to beat.

I'm never in a hurry these days though, and I usually drink several cups of coffee on a lazy morning, so only the regular coffee maker sees any use.

We use the California ex-pats that move here. They're pretty cheap. They'll work for snow tires and tow straps and the occasional pull out of the ditches.

You have those, too? Man, Texas is over-run with them.

We tried hiring a couple of them, but they kept demanding family leave for their service animals and access to high speed rail, so we had to let 'em go... ;)

I just saw in the grocery store last night k-cups that make soup.

Had a Cuisinart K-cup machine that finally burnt out so we bought a Keurig machine.

Took it back the next day because it would not work with the K-cups the wife bought online. So we bought another Cuisinart.

Turns out the new Keurig machines are proprietary to only Keurig cups. There's a workaround for it, but it's a pain in the ass.

Had a Cuisinart K-cup machine that finally burnt out so we bought a Keurig machine.

Took it back the next day because it would not work with the K-cups the wife bought online. So we bought another Cuisinart.

Turns out the new Keurig machines are proprietary to only Keurig cups. There's a workaround for it, but it's a pain in the ass.

Yep, Keurig isn't selling coffee makers, they're selling the GMC coffee.
I'm always surprised they don't just give the machines away sort of like cell phones.

Yep, Keurig isn't selling coffee makers, they're selling the GMC coffee.
I'm always surprised they don't just give the machines away sort of like cell phones.

They'll get there. Like ink jet printers...

Back