All things Cirrus

I love mine. Its simply amazing. The service from Cirrus has been amazing. When I bought my Cessna all they cared about was when I was buying my next Cessna. Cirrus, my salesman, my CSIP, and others I have met along the way have checked in on me regularly, not wanting anything other than to just make sure I am happy. Field support has been amazing.

The plane flies so much better than my 206 did. Faster, less fuel, handles turbulence and winds completely differently. Did an IPC last week with winds 25 gusts 35 and didn't even notice the wind the entire flight.

For those that hate the Cirrus so much, if you are ever in my area, look me up, I'd be glad to take you up and change your mind

I'm in your area. I don't hate Cirrus, but I can pretend :)

Well there are really two Cirri...

The Open Cirrus with a 17.74m wingspan was first built by Shempp-Hirth in 1967. This was Klaus Holinghaus' first design for them. It has a very roomy cockpit, but uses an older high list airfoil, that has good low speed characteristics, but drops off rapidly when speed increases. The two piece wing is quite heavy so decent rigging aids are a must. It does however come with a drag chute that can be used as an additional drag device upon landing.

17545404_882144488590074_1551885890254569528_o.jpg

The Standard Cirrus was introduced two years later in 1969, and is one of the most popular Standard Class airplanes built (838 produced). This version complies with the standard class (15m unflapped wings) and is still a very popular and capable glider (Some Condon kid keeps trying to fly his to the Gulf).

DeQuincy.jpg

It is my observation that many Cirrus pilots start their cold engines and run them at high rpm (1,800?) immediately while taxiing to the run up area.

Why do they do that?
Isn't it hard on the engine?
Umm, we don't :) I start around 800 RPM and slowly get it to 1100. Once oil is warming up take it down to 1000 and taxi.

I love mine. Its simply amazing. The service from Cirrus has been amazing. When I bought my Cessna all they cared about was when I was buying my next Cessna. Cirrus, my salesman, my CSIP, and others I have met along the way have checked in on me regularly, not wanting anything other than to just make sure I am happy. Field support has been amazing.

The plane flies so much better than my 206 did. Faster, less fuel, handles turbulence and winds completely differently. Did an IPC last week with winds 25 gusts 35 and didn't even notice the wind the entire flight.

For those that hate the Cirrus so much, if you are ever in my area, look me up, I'd be glad to take you up and change your mind
If you ever fly that thing to KILM, let me know, I'd like to sit in it, take in that 'new car smell'. We have a beach here.

I don't know how the more modern ones work but when my chute was repacked they had to physically cut a hole in the top of the hull and remove and replace the rocket. Afterwards they rebuild it and repaint it. You have to look really hard but in the right light you can see subtle evidence of a seam where the repair was done. I was always very surprised they didn't just put a door on it
I am fairly sure only the original Cirrus requires cutting to replace the chute. I believe that starting with the G2's an access door was added.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I still think the Icon A5 is a cool looking airplane. Even with all of their missteps and accidents, I hope they can find a way through to success.

Looks like a nice plane. Which year/model/panel?

Sr22 2001
Steam gauge/avedyne
Best plane in the world

Google: cirrus satire, and you can learn all about it.

Ah, so you are the guy behind the famous satire of Cirrus video. Excellent job. Betcha the Cirrus bashers don't get the irony. Love the enhancements to the audio warnings. The landing was good too.

Ah, so you are the guy behind the famous satire of Cirrus video. Excellent job. Betcha the Cirrus bashers don't get the irony. Love the enhancements to the audio warnings. The landing was good too.

That would be correct

I got on an RJ yesterday at some aviation event where they were displaying it. Some guy was (I thought) giving me the stink eye.

Then he goes "you gonna teach us to preflight this thing?"

He said he was a CFI and shows that video to all of his students. That was kind of a neat experience.

Am I the only one that could care less if a plane can get out of a spin or not? All that matters to me is what conditions cause it to spin in the first place. The only time I'm likely to spin most planes, I doubt I'd have time to get it to stop in any aircraft.

There was some speculation that the Cirrus crash in Texas (last year?) was due to a flat spin. Any updates on that one?

Am I the only one that could care less if a plane can get out of a spin or not? All that matters to me is what conditions cause it to spin in the first place. The only time I'm likely to spin most planes, I doubt I'd have time to get it to stop in any aircraft.

Nope. See my post in this thread about it earlier. I said:

People can argue spin vs BRS all day long. I really don't care. You know my thought on it? Actual spin recovery isn't a required part of training. Yes you have to know how to recover, but how many people actually do it? (I did). So with that in mind, I wonder how many POA super pilots that spout off about Cirrus spin capabilities could actually recover from a spin. Most of the garbage I read about here is just internet keyboard warrior bullcrap. Plus, if I get into a spin in IMC, I want a chute.

Don't get into a spin in the first place and it's a non-issue. Pattern time is about the only time I can see realistically spinning a plane. And you're right. Then you're too low for it to even matter.

On that Texas crash, I remember seeing something about asymmetric flap deployment or other Mx issues. COPA might be a better source for updates. I'll try to remember to look later. Not that I'm "speculating" :rolleyes: EDIT: i might be thinking of something completely different

Last edited:
For those who fly Cirrus, how many times have you blown a nose wheel on landing?

On that Texas crash, I remember seeing something about asymmetric flap deployment or other Mx issues. COPA might be a better source for updates. I'll try to remember to look later. Not that I'm "speculating" :rolleyes:

COPA is for owners, correct? If not I'll check it out.

COPA is for owners, correct? If not I'll check it out.

Not necessarily. It's a paid forum... most happen to be owners, but lots of previous owners and non-owners as well. It's a great community. It's where I go for Cirrus-specific info and facts.

Zero. In maybe 700 hours or so both in my own SR22 and instructing.

Then again, I aimed for "full stall", power-off landings.
Local airport where there's lots of C activity frequently had the FBO guys go out to the runway to tow in a plane that blew the tire. After a while they started taking off the wheel fairing, supposedly because Cirrus had the tire/fairing clearance so tight (for maximum efficiency) that a slightly hard landing would bulge the tire just enough to contact the fairing and pop the sidewall.

Man if controllers didn't lose their jobs over that one, I hope they can't sleep at night over it. That was heart wrenching to listen to what those assss put her through.
Why was the plane so high?

As far as the Houston crash goes, my personal take is that controllers should be able to assume some minimum level of competence from a pilot.

And remember who is in charge - the Pilot in Command.

COPA has lots of non-owner members. I'm still a member and have not owned a Cirrus for about 10 years.

Why was the plane so high?
Listen to the recording. It's aweful.

Obviously the pic is the pic but man they made her last moments absolutely miserable and certainly increased her risk far more than reasonable.

Last edited:
Man if controllers didn't lose their jobs over that one, I hope they can't sleep at night over it. That was heart wrenching to listen to what those assss put her through.

As someone else has said, the controllers expected a level of competence that wasn't there. The pilot was in way over her head before she got there. Once they realized they had an incompetent pilot, they did their best to help. Ultimately, she stall the plane and spun it in. Its a very sad accident, but don't put that on the controllers, that one is firmly on the pilot.

As someone else has said, the controllers expected a level of competence that wasn't there. The pilot was in way over her head before she got there. Once they realized they had an incompetent pilot, they did their best to help. Ultimately, she stall the plane and spun it in. Its a very sad accident, but don't put that on the controllers, that one is firmly on the pilot.
Agree to disagree. I question if you've heard the entire transcript and the insane number of times they redirected her and gave her confusing instructions.

Make a right base to 35.... turn left to 30... follow the 737 to 4.... I don't know which way you're going.

Bad controllers.

Last edited:
There was some speculation that the Cirrus crash in Texas (last year?) was due to a flat spin. Any updates on that one?
No it sounds like it's due to an unfamiliar pilot. Sadly. But-

"Dana was a very safe pilot. She loved flying. She's been flying that plane for a very long time,"

How does that explain being too high on two approaches? Some witness reports mention a "sputtering" engine just before the crash. Fuel exhaustion?

No it sounds like it's due to an unfamiliar pilot. Sadly. But-

"Dana was a very safe pilot. She loved flying. She's been flying that plane for a very long time,"

How does that explain being too high on two approaches? Some witness reports mention a "sputtering" engine just before the crash. Fuel exhaustion?
Again, I think you need to listen to the transcript above.

In the end, it's her fault, but what they did with her was not right.

Back