All things Cirrus

Good: excellent online instruction videos about preflight and flight ops.

Bad: their engines tend to come from together faster than the empennage of a bonanza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this a cirrus question? (Jeff Foxworthy style)

I'll talk Cirrus pilots...

Good - Some make really funny videos.

Bad - I witnessed one nod off while flying. :eek: Less than 5 minutes after saying he was "feeling fine."

Responding to a post on the Icon thread:

A Cirrus has a chute because one of the founders was involved in a midair.

The chute is required because spin testing was not done by choice, since the chute was determined to provide an "Equivalent Level Of Safety".

The Cirrus has demonstrated adequate ability to recover from a spin when it underwent spin testing for countries other than the US.

Ever wonder why the Cirrus is central to so much aviation discussion? Ever wonder why Cirrus sells more piston singles than anyone else? Ever wonder why Cirrus managed to get into production with the only single-pilot VLJ? Just makes one wonder.

Didn't bother to click your link - that's a Citation. *Completely* different.

:p
Whaaaa....? The article linked to is regarding a Cirrus. He was CITING a source of information.

Edit: duh, i missed your smiley! haha

from someone who's only sat it one once...............I pretty much like everything about it except the cost, I'll never be able to own one. until I fly one I don't have a lot of good or bad to say.

from someone who's only sat it one once...............I pretty much like everything about it except the cost, I'll never be able to own one. until I fly one I don't have a lot of good or bad to say.
You're one step ahead of me, maybe i'll get to sit in one one day....

Ever wonder why the Cirrus is central to so much aviation discussion? Ever wonder why Cirrus sells more piston singles than anyone else? Ever wonder why Cirrus managed to get into production with the only single-pilot VLJ? Just makes one wonder.
1. Because most people either love or hate them
2. Because they have luxury car interiors and a chute.
3. Some Chinese guy gave then a ton of cash

IIRC the Citation Mustang and Beech Premier are operated single pilot. But yes, the guys at Cirrus are marketing geniuses.

IIRC the Citation Mustang and Beech Premier are operated single pilot. But yes, the guys at Cirrus are marketing geniuses.

I think @citizen5000 probably meant to say "single-engine". That is quite a feat.

I've flown one once (with instructor)

LOVED the plane. Speed, ergonomics, G1000, chute, comfort, looks.
Do love: FIKI is an option

Don't love:
Useful load of SR20
Cost of SR22 to get a decent useful
Engines/tops seem to not do well

I won't be buying one, not because of the chute, I'd LOVE to have that option out here in the forested and rocky PNW, but due to the other factors. to get any kind of useful, you are looking at an SR22 and that's some real money. A LOT of planes I can buy for less than an SR22

Loooking further, I have to retract my comments.

no useful load listed (which is typical of many sellers ashamed of their useful loads) but dang, $139K changes my math!

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1463853/2001-cirrus-sr22

I've flown one once (with instructor)

LOVED the plane. Speed, ergonomics, G1000, chute, comfort, looks.
Do love: FIKI is an option

Don't love:
Useful load of SR20
Cost of SR22 to get a decent useful
Engines/tops seem to not do well

I won't be buying one, not because of the chute, I'd LOVE to have that option out here in the forested and rocky PNW, but due to the other factors. to get any kind of useful, you are looking at an SR22 and that's some real money. A LOT of planes I can buy for less than an SR22

Loooking further, I have to retract my comments.

no useful load listed (which is typical of many sellers ashamed of their useful loads) but dang, $139K changes my math!

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1463853/2001-cirrus-sr22

That plane in the link is what I fly.
My useful load is 1150

Bryan, do you think there are any concerns with low-speed maneuvering due to the linked controls?

FastEddie?

The Turbo Cirrus Continental engines seem to be needing rebuilding prematurely. Not sure why. Could be pilots are pushing them too hard. Cooling not adequate for running at high percent power. Thats just a theory. The chute adds to the cost and has to be repacked every so many years. Beyond my budget. If I paid that much, I'd want pressurized anyway. But hey, they FLY!

They will recover from a spin.
Citation: http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/misc/3-105960-Cirrusstall-spinreport.pdf

Stop perpetuating the internet rumor myths.

That was worth a read. Would this be an accurate TLDR; ?

Cirrus: "We did 60 spin recoveries in testing, all of them recovered within 1 turn as per FAA requirements. However we believe most pilots would **** this up, and CAPS will be safer. Can we please write in the POH that you shouldn't attempt a spin recovery but instead deploy CAPS?"

FAA: "Looks like statistically people are more likely to survive a CAPS deployment than trying to recover from a spin. Go ahead."

The Turbo Cirrus Continental engines seem to be needing rebuilding prematurely.

Some of the standard comments anticipated:

1. there is a "high" premature failure rate for the Continental Turbos (anyone got stats on this?) The TBO is 2000 hours and 2 year warranty which is an industry standard.
2. Cirrus 'could not certify for spins and had to solve it with a chute' which is not true
3. There are only two pressurized piston singles (Piper Matrix and the Evolution Lycoming) both cost $100k to $200k more than the SR22T and neither are selling well.
4. The cost of the chute is included in the base product for Cirrus and others who incorporate it so it's negligible. The repack is every 10 years and costs about $5k.
5. The aircraft had inherent design deficiencies that lead to higher accident rates. The culprit was pilot training and that has been fixed.

Cirrus is the big kid on the block. Human nature sometimes requires the big kid to get the most heat (like the USA). That's probably what happens to Cirrus most of the time.

My useful load is 1150
so, if we call 4 hours of fuel 360lbs (15 gallons/hr) that leaves 790lbs of meat in the cabin.

hmmm, hmmm, hmmm that is VERY, VERY interesting. I was looking at my previous school's SR20, which while awesome ends up with a puny useful once you put a little gas in it

I'm 220, buddy 1&2 are 200 each, buddy 3 is 250. so I can take myself and any two of them, but not all four of us. That said, not often i'd want to do that. two "couples" would easily make a 3 hour flight (with one hour reserve) though.

darn, I think i might be changing my mind.

do you know/would you be willing to share what your annual maint+upgrades are averaging out to be?

My useful load is 1150
also, this will seem dumb to ask, but the ad mentions a "single movement power lever", but is there really just a "go" lever? Not throttle, prop, mixture controls?

also, don't love the short field ability, but i'm starting to think I could overlook it!

so, if we call 4 hours of fuel 360lbs (15 gallons/hr) that leaves 790lbs of meat in the cabin.

hmmm, hmmm, hmmm that is VERY, VERY interesting. I was looking at my previous school's SR20, which while awesome ends up with a puny useful once you put a little gas in it

I'm 220, buddy 1&2 are 200 each, buddy 3 is 250. so I can take myself and any two of them, but not all four of us. That said, not often i'd want to do that. two "couples" would easily make a 3 hour flight (with one hour reserve) though.

darn, I think i might be changing my mind.

do you know/would you be willing to share what your annual maint+upgrades are averaging out to be?

Plane is finishing up annual right now and the current total is 6900 that included replacing a left main wheel, sealing a gas tank, taking the propeller off and sending it to a shop because there was some warpage in one of the blades that they had to get out of it, replacing an exhaust bolt. The default charge for annual at the place we use is $2,300 without any squawks.

Insurance is 3800 Year and that is with two non instrument-rated Pilots both of us are between four and five hundred hours and have been told with instrument ratings the insurance would cut almost in half.

My last oil change was $250. I think that is a little bit on the high side but I'm not really up for doing it myself

I average around 14 gallons per hour and fly four people all the time. That's usually couples but I've had four full grown men in the plane just don't fill the tanks up

also, this will seem dumb to ask, but the ad mentions a "single movement power lever", but is there really just a "go" lever? Not throttle, prop, mixture controls?

also, don't love the short field ability, but i'm starting to think I could overlook it!

Prepare to have your mind blown.

It is my observation that many Cirrus pilots start their cold engines and run them at high rpm (1,800?) immediately while taxiing to the run up area.

Why do they do that?
Isn't it hard on the engine?

It is my observation that many Cirrus pilots start their cold engines and run them at high rpm (1,800?) immediately while taxiing to the run up area.

Why do they do that?
Isn't it hard on the engine?

Yes, it is hard on the engine. You really should get it into a nice ~1,000 RPM almost immediately.

It's not just Cirrus, though. I see people do it with all kinds of planes. The one commonality I find is they don't know how to start engines.

Prepare to have your mind blown.

thanks! so prop/throttle/turbo (if applicable) combined, but there is a separate mixture knob or no?

Insurance a little on the spendy side, but pretty darn nice, thanks for the education. I'm still (perpetually) two years away and I now have to throw this in as a contender

The Cirrus Ops manual:

Starting Engine
5. Mixture ................. FULL RICH
6. Power Lever ............FULL FORWARD
7. Fuel Pump...............BOOST
8. Propeller Area .........CLEAR
9. Power Lever ............OPEN ¼ INCH
10. Ignition Switch........START (Release after engine starts)
11. Mixture ................LEAN until RPM rises to a maximum value. Leave the mixture in this position during taxi and until run-up.
12. Power Lever ...........RETARD (to maintain 1000 RPM)

Then the plane is not to taxi until the oil temp has reached 103f.

thanks! so prop/throttle/turbo (if applicable) combined, but there is a separate mixture knob or no?

Insurance a little on the spendy side, but pretty darn nice, thanks for the education. I'm still (perpetually) two years away and I now have to throw this in as a contender

There is a separate mixture knob, yes. To the right of the throttle. It's just not on that youtube clip.

Plane is finishing up annual right now and the current total is 6900 that included replacing a left main wheel, sealing a gas tank, taking the propeller off and sending it to a shop because there was some warpage in one of the blades that they had to get out of it, replacing an exhaust bolt. The default charge for annual at the place we use is $2,300 without any squawks.

Insurance is 3800 Year and that is with two non instrument-rated Pilots both of us are between four and five hundred hours and have been told with instrument ratings the insurance would cut almost in half.

My last oil change was $250. I think that is a little bit on the high side but I'm not really up for doing it myself

I average around 14 gallons per hour and fly four people all the time. That's usually couples but I've had four full grown men in the plane just don't fill the tanks up

Shoot (or chute), if it wasn't for that exhaust bolt, it woulda only been $5000!

Responding to a post on the Icon thread:

A Cirrus has a chute because one of the founders was involved in a midair.

The chute is required because spin testing was not done by choice, since the chute was determined to provide an "Equivalent Level Of Safety".

The Cirrus has demonstrated adequate ability to recover from a spin when it underwent spin testing for countries other than the US.

They will recover from a spin.
Citation: http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/misc/3-105960-Cirrusstall-spinreport.pdf

Stop perpetuating the internet rumor myths.

I stand corrected

Bad - I witnessed one nod off while flying. :eek: Less than 5 minutes after saying he was "feeling fine."

Ok I'll bite. I need the full story on this. Sounds...um...interesting.

Back