All of you can suck it.

Anyone who has actually grown up, lived, worked, and raised kids in the Midwest know how laughable it is to place Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Iowa in the top 60% of states to live in.

Unless you relish hiding indoors, shivering, for 5 months each year (emerging only long enough to shovel snow), and breathing air that actually hurts, living there absolutely sucks. I spent half a century there, and constantly kick myself for not moving to Texas 35 years ago.

Yeah, right.

I downhill skied. I cross country skied. I skated. I even tried ice fishing, once. Half a century worth of such things.

I flew year-round, in conditions that could kill you in 20 minutes, if you let it. I landed on ice covered runways, doing rolling run ups because the brakes could not hold you still.

Sound fun? It's all a faint echo of having a life where you can walk outside, year 'round, in flip flops.
:)

Whatever was in that article can suck it. Something on that page trying to load caused my Firefox to hang for over 10 minutes and forced me to kill the browser. I won't click twice on sites that do that, they invariably contain malware.

Anyone who has actually grown up, lived, worked, and raised kids in the Midwest knows how laughable it is to place Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Iowa in the top 60% of states to live in.

Unless you relish hiding indoors, shivering, for 5 months each year (emerging only long enough to shovel snow), and breathing air that actually hurts, living there absolutely sucks. I spent half a century there, and constantly kick myself for not moving to Texas 35 years ago.

Hush, there's already too many snowbirds.

Hush, there's already too many snowbirds.

Eh, they can all move to Amarillo.

There are a ton of retirees in Las Cruces, NM. I can't figure out why. Seems like a terrible place to retire; long drives anywhere except for El Paso, and not a lot to do there. It makes Deming look like a paradise….

Yeah, I'm sure the housing market is going to rebound when all the boomers decide to retire in the paradise known as Detrot

I live in Michigan and would gladly trade to live in #47. Nothing redeeming about it, IMO. Maybe its just where I live, but it's a dump.

To each their own, Jay. You couldn't pay me enough to live anywhere across the south. I hate the heat far more than I hate the cold...actually...I like the cold since I like working outside. I can comfortably work outside when it's 10 or 20. I can't when it's 90.

And the heat is just a small part of why I'd never live in the south...but I'll not go there.

To each their own, Jay. You couldn't pay me enough to live anywhere across the south. I hate the heat far more than I hate the cold...actually...I like the cold since I like working outside. I can comfortably work outside when it's 10 or 20. I can't when it's 90.
In that case you'd love northern Michigan... or Vermont, for that matter. :)

And the heat is just a small part of why I'd never live in the south...but I'll not go there.
+1 on working in the heat. I have told J many times if it is cold she can out on a sweater but if it is hot there is only so much I can take off to get comfortable. Maybe I have never lost my acclamation to AK weather

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

That's why you move to where it doesn't get so hot. Like, say, an island, surrounded by water.
;)

I've been far hotter in Iowa (and Oshkosh, actually) than I've been in Port Aransas. Now inland? Like, Victoria, or San Antonio? Those people suffer in ungodly heat -- but that's why they come to my hotel all summer long.

The best of all worlds...

That's why you move to where it doesn't get so hot. Like, say, an island, surrounded by water.
;)

I've been far hotter in Iowa (and Oshkosh, actually) than I've been in Port Aransas. Now inland? Like, Victoria, or San Antonio? Those people suffer in ungodly heat -- but that's why they come to my hotel all summer long.

The best of all worlds...

I was about to say, summer in SE Mo is far more miserably hot and sweltering than Ft Lauderdale ever is.

I was about to say, summer in SE Mo is far more miserably hot and sweltering than Ft Lauderdale ever is.

For a month or two...sure...but not for six like when I worked for four years in GA, MS, AL & FL during the last decade.

I also spent a lot of time in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Houston, San Antonio, McAllen, the hill country, etc., back in the 90's. More of the same.

Some areas were nice (the hill country & Austin) but overall...

You couldn't pay me enough...I don't do heat.

All I will say is, check the ring closely.

Undisputed.

I just love how grown men place so much value on games played by college kids. It is one of the funniest things I observe.

I just love how grown men place so much value on games played by college kids. It is one of the funniest things I observe.

And have you noticed how much more important these teams are in states with no pro teams? Kansas...Alabama...Texas...:)rofl:).

Not that I care about pro ball either.

And have you noticed how much more important these teams are in states with no pro teams? Kansas...Alabama...Texas...:)rofl:).

Not that I care about pro ball either.

I watch a little NFL for entertainment but am not personally vested in any one team. Same with other sports as well. This goes for the so-called US national teams who play in the Olympics, world cup, etc. I just don't care about it and I hate hearing about it from the real rabid fans.

I have this one idiot where I work who is really into the sheeetcago sheeethawks pucky team. He never shuts up about it.

For a month or two...sure...but not for six like when I worked for four years in GA, MS, AL & FL during the last decade.

When we brought our lady home to Michigan, we added exactly those four States to our list where we never want to live. I guess we can prepare yourself to get job offers down there within the next six months... :rolleyes: That's what always happens after I decided that I never ever wanted to live somewhere... And I moved every single time because I couldn't say 'no'... :redface:

But now we live in the #1 State. I think we stay ! :D

Last edited:
Now that right there is funny, I don't care who made it. Offensive, but funny. :lol:

Man o man, if fat were a penny per pound they could be solvent over night.

I was born in Detroit burbs, and my folks moved out when I was 4, glad they did. I don't care for the heat either, it's been in the high 80s most of the week. I've just quit. but at least we get cool at night. and no bugs, hurricanes, or killer weather.

The UP........ 10 months winter,, two months bad skiing.

Eh, they can all move to Amarillo.

There are a ton of retirees in Las Cruces, NM. I can't figure out why. Seems like a terrible place to retire; long drives anywhere except for El Paso, and not a lot to do there. It makes Deming look like a paradise….

There is a point in hunting season in the counties around Amarillo where you have duck, goose, quail, sand hill crane, and pheasant all in season at the same time. So, basically it's a "if it flies, it dies" scenario. Then, when you limit out on those, you can grab a rifle to go mule or white-tail deer hunting, and even get an antelope if you got a tag. So, it's not all crappy weather and stinking feed lots.

Las Cruces has La Posta de Mesilla... not sure what else you would need.

Yay Florida!
We are number 50 out of 50; Can't get much better than that.

Oh wait,
Never mind.

Methinks some icehead was jealous.

As a pilot, diver, fisherman, gardener, outdoorsman I think Florida rocks. Florida is well know to be a great year round flying area!

That is why my dad moved from Michigan to Avon Park, FL in 1941 to teach cadets how to fly for the military.

He did better financially in Florida than his brothers who stayed with the family foundry in Michigan. He hired on with Pan American in 1945 for 250 a month but thankfully the opportunity for advancement was great.

Last edited:

BTW...historical averages for July 4th at KFLL are 84/78.

For Farmington Mo (KFAM) (about 40 miles from me and the data that most closely represents typical Ozark foothills weather that I experience) are 84/64.

Same high temp...but quite a difference in the average low.

Even Cape Girardeau (KCGI), which is down on the Mississippi (read: nasty humidity compared to other towns around here) has an average low of 68*...a full 10* less than FLL

But, more significantly, my ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals lists the 2.5% Mean Coincidental Summer Wet-Bulb temp as 78*F for Ft. Lauderdale. No town in Missouri, not even St. Louis comes close to that level of stickiness. St. Louis is listed as 75* (as is Cape Girardeau) but most towns in the hills are in the 73 & 74*F range. And, as we always hear from the local weatherman (and Phoenix residents), it's the humidity that makes for miserable heat.

Them's the facts, sorry, your claim doesn't hold Ft. Lauderdale water.

I wonder the same thing about pro sports as well.:dunno: Playing the games is fun, watching them is boring as hell. If it weren't for beer and cars they wouldn't exist.

I have this one idiot where I work who is really into the sheeetcago sheeethawks pucky team. He never shuts up about it.

I wonder the same thing about pro sports as well.:dunno: Playing the games is fun, watching them is boring as hell. If it weren't for beer and cars they wouldn't exist.

Need some cheese with that whine? They say the same thing about your interest in aviation.

(I'll give Henning a point though: Public money shouldn't build stadiums for sports teams.)

When did adults start thinking everyone should like all the things they like, when they grew up? I recall as a kid having my time and interests limited to things the "parental control units" deemed useful and/or appropriate and thinking adulthood would be cool since I could do things I liked and tell other adults to suck it if they didn't care for it.

But back then the society wasn't playing "let's build a utopian Barbie Dreamhouse", nor cheering on the majority for manipulative emotional games trying to convince others to do so, either.

For Farmington Mo (KFAM) (about 40 miles from me and the data that most closely represents typical Ozark foothills weather that I experience) are 84/64.

Same high temp...but quite a difference in the average low.

Even Cape Girardeau (KCGI), which is down on the Mississippi (read: nasty humidity compared to other towns around here) has an average low of 68*...a full 10* less than FLL

But, more significantly, my ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals lists the 2.5% Mean Coincidental Summer Wet-Bulb temp as 78*F for Ft. Lauderdale. No town in Missouri, not even St. Louis comes close to that level of stickiness. St. Louis is listed as 75* (as is Cape Girardeau) but most towns in the hills are in the 73 & 74*F range. And, as we always hear from the local weatherman (and Phoenix residents), it's the humidity that makes for miserable heat.

Come on Tim. Use the .4% design temperatures

Especially when it's from so called "colleges" you would never dream of recruiting from. Unless it's for the janitorial staff.

Come on Tim. Use the .4% design temperatures

:rofl:....:goofy:

Even my "old school" engineering mentor, Bob Snell---who thought PVC plumbing pipe was a scourge on society (he was a "dyed in the wool" oakum and lead man)---didn't design to those extremes! :)

I use that column for everything and still have clients that can't accept that their cooling may be a bit short at 100

I use that column for everything and still have clients that can't accept that their cooling may be a bit short at 100

Now that many compressors are two speed, one can design for worst case and still satisfactorily remove humidity when it's only 85 out. Before though....

(Talking basic systems here...)

Oh...and the infinitely variable blower fans are a godsend too! (Albeit quite expensive at replacement time).

Last edited:

Same high temp...but quite a difference in the average low . . .

The only thing I'd add is the existence of the coastal winds. Humidity and high temps may be very close, but take away the constant breeze off of the FL coast, and it becomes downright miserable. The dense vegetation in much of the south (as well as SE MO, AR, OK, TX, etc) seems to just hold it in!

The only thing I'd add is the existence of the coastal winds. Humidity and high temps may be very close, but take away the constant breeze off of the FL coast, and it becomes downright miserable. The dense vegetation in much of the south (as well as SE MO, AR, OK, TX, etc) seems to just hold it in!

The dense people do to! :goofy:

Especially around here.

But, more significantly, my ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals lists the 2.5% Mean Coincidental Summer Wet-Bulb temp as 78*F for Ft. Lauderdale.

Hmm, learn something new every day. 75*F here in the summer. I guess that's fairly sticky?

The longer I live in GA, the lower it falls on my list. Actually now that I think about it, GA isn't so bad, it's just Atlanta ruins the whole deal.

GA has trout fishing (both stocked and native), (small) mountains for hiking/offroading/mtn biking, one of the few fishable populations of Shoal Bass in the world, lots of coastline - both ocean and gulf, diverse wildlife - from bears and rattlesnakes in the mountains to gators and bowfin in the Okefenokee Swamp...

ATL has........ uhhh..... hmmmmm..... a population with a mindset of entitlement so thick it would make your head spin. Lots of people joke about the day "Zombie apocalypse" occurs - I'm more worried about "Welfare apocalypse" when those government printers stop printing checks and all those yahoos from downtown start mindlessly wandering out into the country in search of food and TVs. The only reason to ever go inside the 285 loop is to get to the airport (ATL) where you can get a direct flight most anywhere in the world. Other than that, meh.

Last edited:
Back