all flights grounded

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
All flights grounded today per a FAA computer outage reported in the news.

What are you talking about? I see plenty of traffic out there on flightaware etc.

What are you talking about? I see plenty of traffic out there on flightaware etc.
I’m not, using ForeFlight. I see a few planes -execjet, for example, but no passenger jets such as Delta, United, and so forth. I also notice that radar is showing as unavailable in some areas, but I won’t claim it is related.

And I’m seeing more traffic now, I think they fixed it recently as mentioned in the other thread. Passenger jets aren’t over Nebraska yet. But some are leaving Chicago

United has delayed all of their flights as of a 7:00 AM CST tweet. I’m seeing JetBlue and Spirit departing ORD.

I’m picking up 57 planes in the air at my house. Delta, spirit, fedex, and ups appear to be flying.

7727BA03-8E23-4740-A658-68D69C4C0385.jpeg

Come on, folks. The NOTAM system is down, that doesn't ground planes already in the air. It makes it impractical, if not illegal, for a new flight depart.

From the FAA website

FAA NOTAMS Statement
Wednesday, January 11, 2023
FAA STATEMENT 0715 EST

The FAA is still working to fully restore the Notice to Air Missions system following an outage.

The FAA has ordered airlines to pause all domestic departures until 9 a.m. Eastern Time to allow the agency to validate the integrity of flight and safety information.

Come on, folks. The NOTAM system is down, that doesn't ground planes already in the air. It makes it impractical, if not illegal, for a new flight depart.
How is it illegal?

91.103 says available information.

With the system down, it's not available, therefore you've complied with 91.103 if you get the weather and info from chart supplements.

We can still provide critical NOTAM information using ATIS, don’t think mass cancellation is necessary.

Footage of the FAA rebooting the notam system:

images (12).jpeg

In other news, all domestic airline flights were on time today as pilots didn't have to sort through 45 pages of inop tower lights at 250'agl before departure.

If this prevents me from doing practice approaches this afternoon I'm going to be annoyed.

24e88-super-bowl-power-outage-johnny-airplane.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2023-1-11_8-7-45.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-11_8-7-45.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 11
How is it illegal?

What I meant by "...if not illegal".... was whether or not the impractical effort to obtain alternate sources of information was deemed sufficient.

I can't blame the airlines for voluntarily grounding. The effort to fully obtain complete alternate information would be daunting and, if any harm came to anyone, the courts always blame the airlines and pilots. Terror falling from the skies nonsense, but the liability is real.

It's also not uncommon for the airlines to have operations manuals that are more strict than the exact FAA requirements.

Got a buddy at PNS that said they were on the runway and were spooling up power, then they pulled power back and went back to the gate and deplaned.

Makes me assume that airlines have a workaround, but FAA edict is what grounded them.

Sorry, I don't have the auto-translate turned on for NOTAMs right now. Is that "Last One Leaving"? or "Lean On Lyle"? or ???
I’m just glad the FAA warns me when 155 radial of ABC VOR is unusable below 2500ft. And all those unlit cranes. #savinglives

Over-reliance on technology and automation is starting to show weaknesses. Also, for everyone’s whining about Southwest over Christmas - you can bet your last dollar that no one at the FAA will be reimbursing / compensating today’s travelers for this disruption. At least maybe it gives is in GA a chance to get some people’s attention about how archaic the NOTAM system is…

NOTAP.

We are all People, not just Men.

As asked on a similar thread - any thoughts that this may drive some modernization of the NOTAM system?

6:45am, National news “All flights are grounded!”
6:50am, local ARTCC on phone “minor glitch, expect your clearance & fltops as normal”
7:20am, local ARTCC on radio in air “I can give you FF no higher than 17.5 but you are not going to get a clearance this morning”
7:25am, next controller “I have your clearance… <snip>… c&m 330”
LOL
(ps the digital briefing said nothing about any problem)

6:45am, National news “All flights are grounded!”
6:50am, local ARTCC on phone “minor glitch, expect your clearance & fltops as normal”
7:20am, local ARTCC on radio in air “I can give you FF no higher than 17.5 but you are not going to get a clearance this morning”
7:25am, next controller “I have your clearance… <snip>… c&m 330”
LOL
(ps the digital briefing said nothing about any problem)

Looks like we're dependent on the FAA twitter account for official critical communications now.
kizie-1613148579270459393_cxt=HHwWgoC81cCFh-MsAAAA (1).png
ec0c9922-aa66-45d2-917c-decb39305bd9

Jet traffic overhead is starting to sound normal here.

Back