Alec Baldwin shoots and kills cinematographer.

For those familiar with the design of the gun used, are any of these three possibilities plausible?

"Even if Baldwin didn’t pull the trigger to fire the gun, his description of what happened suggests at least three possible options. Either he didn’t pull the hammer back far enough for it to lock and stay in place, or some movement jostled the gun and caused the hammer to fall, or there was some mechanical failure in the gun. Those possibilities will be up to investigators to resolve."​

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/12/alec-baldwin-gun-trigger-abc-interview
Baldwin has stated that he let go of the hammer after drawing it back. Then, kaboom. Two minutes with the revolver will let any expert know if he also had his finger on the trigger.

If it's a revolver, all that's going to prove is whether or not the next chamber has a live bullet on that trigger pull. Doesn't prove anything about subsequent trigger pulls. Do you feel lucky, punk.

So pull the trigger six times.

So pull the trigger six** times.

Or hire armorers and actors who can distinguish 'loaded' from 'unloaded' by inspecting the gun.

**Movies set in more modern times would also have to consider the 5-, 7-, 8-, and 9-shot revolvers that exist, and there are a few odd rarities with even more chambers.

Actors used to be able to dance, sing, ride a horse, handle firearms AND act. Nowadays, most can only act and spout political views. Sorely, some cannot even act.

Or hire armorers and actors who can distinguish 'loaded' from 'unloaded' by inspecting the gun.

**Movies set in more modern times would also have to consider the 5-, 7-, 8-, and 9-shot revolvers that exist, and there are a few odd rarities with even more chambers.

Or hire an armorer who won't allow a blow hard actor/producer to intimidate them into not properly doing their job.

Yes, thanks for stating the obvious and missing the humorous intent.

And I own a 9-shot revolver made back in the 1920s.

This guy talks about a single action pistol in case anyone has any questions.

If someone give’s me a gun and says it’s safe, I would point it at them and ask them are you sure? I’m betting the person would have said: “let me double check”.

If someone give’s me a gun and says it’s safe, I would point it at them and ask them are you sure? I’m betting the person would have said: “let me double check”.

Never point a gun at anyone, unless you are going to shoot them.

Then I will never hand you a gun.

When I hand someone a gun, I do so with the action open. If someone hands me a closed gun, the first thing I do is open it. Doesn’t matter whether they said the gun is unloaded. Basic protocol.

As a child I was taught that the first thing to do when picking up a gun is to open the action to ensure it’s unloaded and if I don’t know how to open it, don’t pick it up until instructed. Then regardless of its status, treat the gun as though it’s loaded at all times.

Never point a gun at anyone, unless you are going to shoot them.

I was being facetious but making the point that if their work or lack of was going to directly effect them, they would have been a lot more safety conscious.

I was being facetious but making the point that if their work or lack of was going to directly effect them, they would have been a lot more safety conscious.

Tough to read sarcasm sometimes.... but I agree.

As to that and the CNN comments, it’s a fox crowd. What do you expect?
Fox is equally as inaccurate and biased as CNN. National news networks in the US have devolved into entertainment feeds rather than news feeds. Even my beloved NPR isn’t what it used to be.

Now that the Raptor is finished, I look forward to this thread more than any other.

That's kind of sad, on an aviation board. Not sure if it says something about me, the rest of you, or all of us. . . .

Watch out, the thread etiquette snowflakes are going to start lecturing on thread drift, LOL

My recommendation ... turn all of them off! You'll thank me soon enough.

Better to be uninformed than misinformed, I always say. . . .

one of my favorite actors had a good line on that

Personally I get most of my feeling for where things are at by….leaving my house and using my own senses and mind. It’s a pretty radical way of gathering information in 2021 ;)

Also we are at 22 pages and some people still don’t see how a guy pointing a loaded gun at someone, pulling the trigger, killing them, is at fault???
Same website where you guys blame airmen for EVERYTHING?

Last edited:
Geesh. How many people have made YouTube videos on how a single action revolver works?

Fox is equally as inaccurate and biased as CNN. National news networks in the US have devolved into entertainment feeds rather than news feeds. Even my beloved NPR isn’t what it used to be.
I think NPR news programming is still pretty solid, especially many of their feature stories where they spend more time on an issue or story. I have never been a fan of their silly game shows though.

I think NPR news programming is still pretty solid, especially many of their feature stories where they spend more time on an issue or story. I have never been a fan of their silly game shows though.

Nah

They used to be, now they are pretty left leaning.

When was that? They were partisan in the 1980's. I can't say what they were like before then.

I’m not that old, but it feels like post Trump they have taken a road to the left

They practically did back flips to not call the burning of cities anything but peaceful protests, but make the rambunctious walk-in protest on Jan 6, where a unarmed woman was shot and killed, sound like the battle of Concorde

Any news source that doesn't agree with me is biased, right? ;)

All news sources are biased because the editorial staff needs to decide what to publish, and they are human. They are also going after a target audience. What I can't stand is the sensationalized hand-wringing on many news channels. This goes for both viewpoints. Also, "news" has become 5 minutes news and 55 minutes of people talking about how they feel about it, or telling their life "story".

At best, news shows are biased to draw in viewers to build advertising revenue. At best. I believe that most are partly using a formula proven by Howard Stern, where viewers that hate the show watch it more than those that like it. At worst, news shows are intentionally driving people to the illusion of a "two sides" system, fueling violent controversy within out country with the likely aim of weakening or destroying it. Why we permit it is baffling to me. Corporations, especially foreign ones, don't have rights, let alone self-evident rights.

All news sources are biased because the editorial staff needs to decide what to publish, and they are human.

News sources are biased because of the greed to make money. They will sensationalize their lead stories to draw in viewers and grow their fan base. Some of the more powerful folks in the world with plenty of money can afford to buy news outlets to simply push their own agendas.

As you noted a lot of what is being called "news" today is shaded in "opinion journalism" by folks telling viewers what to believe instead of presenting the truth in detail and allowing the viewer to draw a correct conclusion.

Another thread asks what I can do now that I didn't do five years ago. My answer is that I quit listening to left/right/biased news shows. Life is better now! :)

Back