Alec Baldwin shoots and kills cinematographer.

I could see him shooting another actor during a scene but why would he fire at the cinematographer and also the other guy?
weird.

I could see him shooting another actor during a scene but why would he fire at the cinematographer and also the other guy?
weird.

I can see him shooting towards a camera and hence hitting the Cinema photographer and the Director and the gun was supposed to be empty.

could have just been in the line of fire, not necessarily fired at directly, but who knows. crazy because I know they have controls over prop guns

Hopefully he wasn't just messing around; in Cincinnati, a cop did that with one of their training guns, and the wax [or whatever] pellet took out a female trainee's kidney.

I guess I don’t know enough about prop guns, but I assumed they weren’t actually lethal weapons or had the potential to kill. Always figured they were more or less toys with plenty of safeguards, so I don’t understand how this happened either, but what do I know?

There are production crews that are particularly good about handling dangerous props (dangerous if not handled properly). Much better than years ago.

Now much better understanding of the hazards of blanks and pellets.

Last edited:
Happened before. I believe this is how Brandon Lee was killed.
I believe you’re right. What’s the purpose for having a prop gun firing any kind of projectile? I thought they just smoked to give the illusion of a real gun being discharged…

If it were me, I would tag all guns (red for loaded, green unloaded) and the only time the tag came off was when actually shooting. If I saw a gun laying around without a tag…someone would be fired.

weird.
Like this. See where the cameraman was right next to one guys shoulder looking straight on at the other guy. Didn't catch the shot that way but you can see how it coulda happened. Director could have been standing right next to the cameraman. Even without the other guy, coulda just been a straight on shot capturing the shooters face when he shoots

Last edited:
I read an article this morning that said the prop gun was loaded with blanks. Sometimes when you fire a blank, pieces of the casing come out with the gas stream as shrapnel. This is likely why both of the victims were hit.

A lot of blanks have a clay plug on top that holds in the powder. Starter pistols have a plugged barrel, and a steel cone at the breach end into which the loaded chamber points. The cone fragments the plug on firing and diverts the pieces sideways. But prop guns aren't so equipped.

I didn't know blanks were still being used in movies and Tv shows. I thought all muzzle blast were airbrushed in to gigantic oversized muzzle flashes to make it look like the actor is really firing a gun.

The union supposedly said there were live rounds in the gun. Alec should have known better, should get at least manslaughter charges for this.

While any and all death is tragic, the irony of who pulled the trigger is crazy. Given his anti gun, political stance, and history of distasteful tweets following publicized shooting deaths. Hopefully this waste of oxygen gets at least some form of punishment.

The union supposedly said there were live rounds in the gun. Alec should have known better, should get at least manslaughter charges for this.

is that new? because I thought I watched a video of the guy from the set crew who said they absolutely were blanks.

I would think that after the Brandon Lee shooting there would be pretty strict rules on any live ammo anywhere near a set that had prop guns. Even if it isn’t legislated, I would think the prop-masters and armorers would have the professional pride to take extra precautions.

I know that the Lee incident was a situation where no live rounds were used, but the different parts all came together to create one at the wrong place and the wrong time.

While any and all death is tragic, the irony of who pulled the trigger is crazy. Given his anti gun, political stance, and history of distasteful tweets following publicized shooting deaths. Hopefully this waste of oxygen gets at least some form of punishment.

pot meet kettle. criticizing someone for comments after publicized shooting deaths by commenting about them after a publicized shooting death.

Last edited:
If he was filming a scene, no. If he was f@#$ing around, yes.
While I personally dislike the guy, it appears that he was not messing around and he was instructed to pull the trigger in his role. Knowing his stance on guns and such, I bet he is pretty distraught.

So if his politics were different you’d want to see him let off the hook?

Outside of his wonderful work as Jack Ryan I've never been a big fan of him as a person.. anyone who has this kind of short temper and talks to their daughter (or son) like this loses a ton of respect in my book. He has a history of meltdowns. He's a piece of trash.

F him

So looking at this photo, I can see how it makes sense that this could happen if he was directed to fire at the camera and a projectile left the weapon.

FCUP1pxWEAEIyfU.jpg

Sounds like negligent homicide at some level and not simply an accident…

Creepy to think it is likely that they have video of it actually happening.

is that new? because I thought I watched a video of the guy from the set crew who said they absolutely were blanks.

It was in a tweet, so not sure if it's accurate or not, but the likely hood of a blank, killing one person and injuring another is pretty slim IMO. I'm sure the facts will come out soon.

This is really awful. This is a tragedy for him just as much as it is for the others. I can't imagine being responsible for the death of another, even if it was accidental, even if it was no fault of my own. It would be really horrible.

I think it's tragic, and I would have a hard time believing that anyone would do something like that on purpose for any reason. I'm a little surprised that anyone would allow a functional firearm on a set like that, to be honest. There have been too many incidents of people injured or killed by blanks and other mishaps. Any time you have people handling lethal weapons who aren't adequately trained for it you have a very dangerous situation. I know not everyone had things like "Treat every gun like it's loaded, all the time, even toy guns" and "Don't ever point any gun at anything you don't intend to shoot" drilled into their heads since early childhood. You really do have to be careful to the point of paranoia. I know that in the movie industry it's sometimes necessary to have guns aimed at people during filming, but I can't imagine a way to make that safe enough with actual guns that I'd be comfortable with it -- even with trained people, and most of the actors are most definitely not.

Wonder why blanks are as powerful as they are. All you're really looking for is a muzzle flash and some recoil I suppose.
Couldn't you create that with a Black-cat firework amount of gun powder?

I think it's tragic, and I would have a hard time believing that anyone would do something like that on purpose for any reason. I'm a little surprised that anyone would allow a functional firearm on a set like that, to be honest. There have been too many incidents of people injured or killed by blanks and other mishaps. Any time you have people handling lethal weapons who aren't adequately trained for it you have a very dangerous situation. I know not everyone had things like "Treat every gun like it's loaded, all the time, even toy guns" and "Don't ever point any gun at anything you don't intend to shoot" drilled into their heads since early childhood. You really do have to be careful to the point of paranoia. I know that in the movie industry it's sometimes necessary to have guns aimed at people during filming, but I can't imagine a way to make that safe enough with actual guns that I'd be comfortable with it -- even with trained people, and most of the actors are most definitely not.
This is what is most surprising to me. With the amount of money Hollywood has and the general "guns are evil" mantra I'm very surprised they use actual guns.

This is what is most surprising to me. With the amount of money Hollywood has and the general "guns are evil" mantra I'm very surprised they use actual guns.
I bet they won't after this.

Wonder why blanks are as powerful as they are. All you're really looking for is a muzzle flash and some recoil I suppose.
Couldn't you create that with a Black-cat firework amount of gun powder?

They need the gun to cycle, so in the scene the actor can fire multiple times as a real gun would.

I bet they won't after this.
I bet they will. Guns and people shooting each other sells.

I wonder how many accidental/negligent shootings on set there were during the heyday of the Western shoot-em-up movies and TV series.

I bet they will. Guns and people shooting each other sells.

I wonder how many accidental/negligent shootings on set there were during the heyday of the Western shoot-em-up movies and TV series.

No I mean I bet some young genius will develop a "weapon" that looks and sounds real and replicates all the gun things but doesn't do the actual gun thing.

Back