Alaska: Best traffic law ever.

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
So...

The highway that runs from Anchorage to the Kenai Peninsula, the Seward Hwy, has frequent "pull-off" lanes (or "turn-out" lanes) for slow traffic and about a mile before each "turn-out" is a sign reading:

It's the law, if you're delaying five vehicles then get the f*** out of the way!

And on our return to anchorage, I actully saw a tropper pull over a large motor home that was doing about 40mph and holding up at least 15 vehicles after it passed a "turn-out" lane without using it.

That rocks!

(At least in the opinion of this very impatient individual!)

Every state needs this law! Simply worded "if you can't do the speed limit then either stay off the roads or get out of the way when someone is behind you. You shouldn't mind pulling over to let someone go by because you're obviously not in a hurry!"

That law applies here in Nevada on the Mt. Rose highway between Reno and Lake Tahoe. I usually use the turnout lanes because of all the crazies that want to drive 60mph on that 45mph road.

The end of a turnout lane or passing lane is a great place for a speed trap.:rofl:

The 50 mile stretch of the Seward Highway south on Anchorage is most dangerous when guys get impatient and try to pass. Fatality accidents on that road are far too common. The pull outs are an attempt to ease some of that. It's a pretty stretch of road. Take a deep breath and go with the flow.

Dude, you are on vacation and you are worried about this?
I fully understand Tim. If you are trying to enjoy your vacation, you don't need some slug keeping you from it. Riding slowly in a car to get to your vacation spot is NOT fun. Now if he were flying then I could see enjoying the trip more. But even then, when you want to get somewhere, you don't need some stranger blocking you.

Tim:

I agree, except for the "speed limit" part; safe road usage requires that slower traffic yield right-of-way to faster traffic, without regard fro whether the slower traffic is or is not at the "speed limit." Separate issues, separate laws, as they should be.

Tim:

I agree, except for the "speed limit" part; safe road usage requires that slower traffic yield right-of-way to faster traffic, without regard fro whether the slower traffic is or is not at the "speed limit." Separate issues, separate laws, as they should be.
Normally, you would be correct, but in the OP, Tim said sign said "It's the Law". Perhaps it is a separate law, but it is still (apparently) the law.

Part of the reason I don't carry a hand gun in my car is that I often have to drive about 80 miles on SR40. It is mostly 1 lane in each direction and invariably there is a car going 10 under the limit with about 20-30 cars behind them. Periodically, there is about a 1 mile passing lane, but just as invariably, the first car behind the slow car gets beside the slow car and they both drive slowly. There were times I wanted to shoot their tires out as I careened past them in the relatively few areas where you can pass.

Tim:

What state can you exceed the posted speed limit to pass someone?

Local Alaskans look forward to the end of tourist season for a reason!

So...

Every state needs this law! Simply worded "if you can't do the speed limit then either stay off the roads or get out of the way when someone is behind you. You shouldn't mind pulling over to let someone go by because you're obviously not in a hurry!"

Many states(certainly my state - MD) have similar law.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-21/subtitle-8/21-804

They are just not very often enforced or advertised on the road signs for various reasons...

For the most part these laws are similar in principle as the Primary Speed Law --reasonable and prudent. As was the case with Montana, enforcing that is very difficult and subjective, so the Secondary(the number) Law is used most of the time. While there are some Secondary Minimum limits out there in some states on highways, for the most part it's just what's reasonable.

Edited: Spelling

Last edited:
We were on that same highway, the same time as Tim. It's a two lane road, and at tourist season gets a lot traffic. The signs are pretty explicit - it's the law. The week we were there, there was a fatal accident on that highway that closed the road for 10 hrs, and it's about the only N/S road in the region.

I've driven enough 2-lane State and US highways in mid-Missouri during vacation season and been stuck for miles behind an RV towing a boat or whatever. At least that highway in AK had turnout/passing lanes, they never seem to have enough of them around here.

I did that drive a few weeks ago. I attached a picture of a smaller Griz at Bird Creek. I was there when they had the 6.2 magnitude earthquake. I though a mount or two may fall off the restaurant wall.

It took me not much over three hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 45
Vermont, which has very few highways with more than two lanes, absolutely needs a law like this. Yesterday morning on the way to a hike I was fourth in line behind a driver going 30 mph on a long stretch where the speed limit is 50 mph. There was morning fog but the visibility was about a mile - IFR conditions if you were flying, but good enough to go the speed limit on the highway. The idiot eventually did veer onto the shoulder to try to let the people he was holding up pass, but his efforts were very much half-assed and it was a long 10 miles behind this guy until that point.

There are a couple of places on US-2 between Montpelier and St. Johnsbury with a passing lane on a hill, but that's primarily because of trucks that have difficulty maintaining speed on the upgrade. Slowpokes holding up traffic for miles are common, and there are often few opportunities to pass because of curves.

Now what did that sign REALLY say? :D

Normally, you would be correct, but in the OP, Tim said sign said "It's the Law". Perhaps it is a separate law, but it is still (apparently) the law.

The sign Tim quoted related to "Delaying five vehicles...," without reference to whether the delay was above or beneath the speed limit - and with good cause, because congested traffic flow (whether faster or slower than the speed limit) is a much greater hazard than mere speed, for reasons which are self-evident.

Irrelevant.

Any, I always pass with my foot to the floor until I am clear, then I lift my foot as pull back to the right. I have done so on many occasions and saw a trooper as I'm doing 90 and slowing with no reaction from them. Passing on a 2 lane is safest as a maximum performance maneuver and troopers know it.

Any, I always pass with my foot to the floor until I am clear, then I lift my foot as pull back to the right. I have done so on many occasions and saw a trooper as I'm doing 90 and slowing with no reaction from them. Passing on a 2 lane is safest as a maximum performance maneuver and troopers know it.

It's not something I ever really thought about from a legal standpoint. Common sense says to spend as little time as possible in the wrong lane.

I just looked up in the KS driving handbook:

>>
PASSING (K.S.A. 8-1516, 8-1518, 8-1520)
On two-lane roads, with traffic moving in both directions, you may pass traffic on the left if the pass can be completed safely and without exceeding the speed limit.

<<

So the Driver's License test answer is "don't exceed the speed limit when you pass". But the laws referenced don't say anything about it. There's really not a good way to pass unless you DO exceed the speed limit.

The trick with an underpowered car is to time it just right - lay back, accelerate, and hope the traffic really is clear when you whip around, otherwise you have to drop back and try it again while that guy 3 cars back is trying to pass everyone at the same time. Good times. With interstates and 3 and 4 lanes everywhere, too many people have forgotten how much fun it can be.

Last edited:

Amen. I do the same. And in eastern Washington state most of the roads I drive on are 2 lanes.

While I agree with you on the safety and sense of doing passing at WOT(that's what I do) as quickly as safely possible, your assertion is definitely not accurate. I've gotten speeding tickets while passing. Most states have laws written in such ways that Secondary Speed Law(the speed limit) is absolute and you can never exceed that number

Some states may have exceptions, and allow some extra speed when passing.

Last ticket I got about 4 years ago was in NC for exactly this. I initiated a pass (55 limit, 3 cars in front at about 50) on my motorcycle while opposite direction was clear. Sped up to about 65 and was doing my passing then cars appeared in opposite direction.. It was too late to come back, so I accelerated to pass safely.. One of those cars was a trooper. He turned around and pulled me over for 76/55....

So yeah, I do it because it's safe, but definitely you can get tickets for that

People "out west" tend to get this for some reason and tend to just veer to the shoulder a little to give you room. I always appreciated this and wish like hell people on the east coast would figure it out.

Sadly in Florida there is NO official passing lane so it's not unusual to get stuck behind some oblivious IDIOT even on the interstate.

What I find funny is that Colorado has a law that you can't just hang out in the passing lane - which is probably a good thing for a state with legal marihuana !

One of my pet peeves is getting stuck behind a slow poke going 10 mph under the limit on a 2-lane road where I can't pass. Then the road expands to 4-lane and they speed up to 20 over the limit.

Dude, you are on vacation and you are worried about this?

I'm no longer on vacation! Been home for a week, my mellowness is gone, and I'm back to my impatient self. ;-)

Fatality accidents on that road are far too common.

Yeah, as Matthew alluded to, there were fatalities on the highway the week we were both there. Two separate fatal accidents that I'm aware of.

Passing on a 2 lane is safest as a maximum performance maneuver

While I agree with you on the safety and sense of doing passing at WOT(that's what I do) as quickly as safely possible, your assertion is definitely not accurate.

Actually, Henning's assertion is 100% accurate because Brien asked what states can you exceed the posted speed limit to pass and not what states may you. ;) <whistles>

Now what did that sign REALLY say? :D

illigal_to_delay_vehicles-2.jpg

Local Alaskans look forward to the end of tourist season for a reason!

Boy, that's a universal truth in all tourist areas for sure! I lived near Branson for almost 30 years and it was hell all summer long...especially before they 4 laned hwy 65. The typical 30 minute drive home from work often took as long as 2.5 hours on Friday night due to all the traffic "going to the lake."

One of my pet peeves is getting stuck behind a slow poke going 10 mph under the limit on a 2-lane road where I can't pass. Then the road expands to 4-lane and they speed up to 20 over the limit.

That's exactly why we should not be allowed to carry guns in a car!!!! :goofy:

Last edited:
That's exactly why we should not be allowed to carry guns in a car!!!! :goofy:

I've wanted to mount a remote operated 12 gauged shot gun under my M/H to take out tires.

Put the stupid ones on the side of the road, at least for a while.

I've wanted to mount a remote operated 12 gauged shot gun under my M/H to take out tires.

Put the stupid ones on the side of the road, at least for a while.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has wanted to do this.

GA has a "slow poke" law. Hold up 5+ cars in the far left lane and you get a ticket. I've never seen it enforced but maybe one day I will.

GA has a "slow poke" law. Hold up 5+ cars in the far left lane and you get a ticket. I've never seen it enforced but maybe one day I will.

Missouri's is even more generalized. "Stay right except to pass." You don't have to be holding up anyone. Hang out in the left lane on a four lane highway with no good reason...and you'll get a ticket. Two trucks playing "elephant races" for 5 miles...the left one gets a ticket. They used to enforce it stringently 15 or 20 years ago. Not as much anymore.

That is darn-near literally every car around here that does 5-10 under.

No place to pass? 5-10 under.

Passing lane? Easy 10 over. If I can make the pass, I'll find the guy who couldn't go the speed limit the last ten miles is now riding my butt at ten over.

Finally, they forget that they're mad at you, and ease back to 5-10 under, and you can see the huge line of traffic trying to get by as you pull away.

I don't have a problem with slow drivers if they'd go just as slow during "passing opportunities"...

Seriously, why are people so rabid to keep obviously faster drivers behind them?

That is darn-near literally every car around here that does 5-10 under.

No place to pass? 5-10 under.

Passing lane? Easy 10 over. If I can make the pass, I'll find the guy who couldn't go the speed limit the last ten miles is now riding my butt at ten over.

Finally, they forget that they're mad at you, and ease back to 5-10 under, and you can see the huge line of traffic trying to get by as you pull away.

I don't have a problem with slow drivers if they'd go just as slow during "passing opportunities"...

Seriously, why are people so rabid to keep obviously faster drivers behind them?
sociopaths are everywhere

Not to mention the semi drivers who like to race up hills, slowing eventually to a crawl and staying side by side for mile after mile. Real dumb. Then more and more we have idiots on country roads, on bicycles, riding two abreast, or trying to climb a hill going very slow and not moving over. You must give them three feet clearance which puts you well over the double white no passing line. They know this so it's plain arrogance.

Missouri's is even more generalized. "Stay right except to pass." You don't have to be holding up anyone. Hang out in the left lane on a four lane highway with no good reason...and you'll get a ticket. Two trucks playing "elephant races" for 5 miles...the left one gets a ticket. They used to enforce it stringently 15 or 20 years ago. Not as much anymore.

Same rule in the state of Washington. Keep right except to pass. Once traffic gets heavy enough that is ignored (fortunately).

Same rule in the state of Washington. Keep right except to pass. Once traffic gets heavy enough that is ignored (fortunately).
Also in Vermont... but there aren't a lot of roads with more than 1 lane each way.

Coming back from NH today I was first stuck behind some slowpoke, and then behind a truck hauling lumber. Luckily the slowpoke eventually turned off, and it was pushing 7pm, so I was able to pass the truck.

Back