Alaska Airlines explosive decompression 1/5/23

I work at a major airport. I can tell you all the ideological infiltration (mandatory pro nouns in email signatures, acknowledging the land we are on before every meeting, etc, etc) has certainly distracted from the core business of running an airport. Regardless of your beliefs or where you lie politically, the immense focus and resourcing put into these areas has created cliques, divided thinking, and distracted employees from focusing on what the core business model is. When you have more HR folks or "communication" folks than operational people, I think you have a problem. Airports (airlines, manufacturers) are not supposed to be an ideological think tank, they are a complex operation that really requires the full focus and attention on making sure we are as safe and secure as we can be while delivering the best experience to the customer. This has been diluted. My two cents, your experiences may vary I am sure, especially depending on where you live.

Many eons ago, I worked for a manufacturer of large computers with blue three letter names attached to the cabinets. The number of f-bombs, swear words, and off color comments that flew around in that environment rivaled my Navy days. I certainly remember my manager poking his head in my office and asking me how this Fing project is coming along, or when will that GD report be published.

We have come a long way.
Are you sure it was the right way?

I would hope so but you never know. In those days, it was easy to get a read on a person, they weren’t holding back for fear of having to “go visit HR.”
Yep. Used to be able to fire a person that wasn't pulling their weight. Now they have to be surgically removed ...

Not much of an order encouraging a visual inspection…seems more like a feel good by the FAA saying look at me, we are doing our job when when we have failed miserably in the past…I’m jaded I know but it’s feel good all the way.

Not much of an order encouraging a visual inspection…seems more like a feel good by the FAA saying look at me, we are doing our job when when we have failed miserably in the past…I’m jaded I know but it’s feel good all the way.
Impossible to know when all they say is that some operators noted findings with bolts. That's just plain suspicious.

That is absolutely true; however, while accountants should be near the top of a corporate organization, they should never, ever be in control. That's because accountants are more concerned about the "bottom line" than the "product line". The "product line" is what either makes or breaks a company, and if it is of superior quality, the "bottom line" becomes profitable and the company thrives.
Nope. Accountants track money, they generally don't decide where to spend it. They may tell those that can decide where the money is going, and they may then make changes; I saw a multi-million-dollar software project cancelled because I talked honestly to the comptroller, who investigated and spread the word.
In this case, it was for the good.
But at Boeing, given the weight of the CFRs, what the heck can be cut?

Our sensitivity training one year noted that there are a number of terms that a reasonable person doesn’t use to refer to others, even if that’s how they refer to themselves.

The exception was “hermaphrodite”. We are not allowed to use that term except to refer to someone who refers to themselves that way.
What's the rule for use of the term "dumb-ass?"

I think Boeing is way over due to phase out the 737 series of aircraft with its short landing gear and awkward engine placement. Of course to remain competitive, Boeing should have started on a clean sheet design years ago. I think that Boeing has painted itself into a corner and its options for getting out are few. Bring back the 757 ... ?

How boring would life be without the Daily Mail?

Delta Airlines' 757 loses its NOSE TIRES on the runway in Atlanta and is forced to abort flight while taxiing - in latest terrifying incident involving a Boeing jet

I think Boeing is way over due to phase out the 737 series of aircraft with its short landing gear and awkward engine placement. Of course to remain competitive, Boeing should have started on a clean sheet design years ago.
They tried to do that but their customers, airlines and leasing companies, wanted a more efficient jet sooner and at a lower cost.

Oh they're getting beat up by the press and the public is in an outrage. To quote the lead bad guy in a good movie, "if the rule you followed led you to this, of what use was that rule". They're a 100 billion dollar corporation. No amount of hand waving makes any bit of this, in any way, anything but their fault. Blaming the airlines for the 737 screwups is along the lines of a drunk blaming bad weather on his being plastered at 10 in the morning.

I don’t remember where I saw this, but FWIW, Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, said that they are reevaluating current and future orders of Boeing products.

Both the loss of the nose wheel tire/wheel and the wing panel bolts are maintenance-related problems, not design problems and should not be attributed to design deficiences on the part of either Airbus or Boeing.

Just my opinion.

I don’t remember where I saw this, but FWIW, Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, said that they are reevaluating current and future orders of Boeing products.

"United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby said on Tuesday the airline, which has ordered 277 MAX 10 jets with options for another 200, would build a new fleet plan that does not include a model already mired in regulatory and delivery delays."

Both the loss of the nose wheel tire/wheel and the wing panel bolts are maintenance-related problems, not design problems and should not be attributed to design deficiences on the part of either Airbus or Boeing.
Are the missing panel fasteners even an issue? Or are there allowed to be a certain number missing?

Oh they're getting beat up by the press and the public is in an outrage. To quote the lead bad guy in a good movie, "if the rule you followed led you to this, of what use was that rule". They're a 100 billion dollar corporation. No amount of hand waving makes any bit of this, in any way, anything but their fault. Blaming the airlines for the 737 screwups is along the lines of a drunk blaming bad weather on his being plastered at 10 in the morning.
I'm not blaming the airlines for the 737. I'm saying Boeing didn't have a choice at the time. It was make a re-engined 737 or lose the sales to Airbus. The airlines did not want a clean sheet design at that time. That is true. Boeing's original plan was a clean sheet design using many of the technologies being designed into the 787 but they couldn't sell that idea, then.

Are the missing panel fasteners even an issue? Or are there allowed to be a certain number missing?

"He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much" meaning if you do a simple job well you will do the same on a tougher job. To you and I those few screws likely are of no concern but to a passenger that don't understand it can mean a great deal. Besides ... if the mechanic is slacking on putting in all the easy screws to finish the job how much are they slacking on maintenance where no one else will ever see it?

OTOH, those customers could have bought Airbuses. Boeing re-used the 737 design because it was the only way they could be cost-competitive with Airbus. And along the way, Boeing ignored warnings and shoved lots of their dirt under the rug. If you haven't already, read the book Flying Blind and you'll get some understanding of just how rancid the culture at Boeing has become.

I appreciate the reco, and it sent me to the library for a copy. I'm selective about what I sit down to read or watch, and there are only a handful of movies, albums, or books that I've given up on before I finished. This came to be one of them. I'm about 1/3 through, and I won't take anymore of its anti-capitalist sneer.

How boring would life be without the Daily Mail?

Delta Airlines' 757 loses its NOSE TIRES on the runway in Atlanta and is forced to abort flight while taxiing - in latest terrifying incident involving a Boeing jet

Anytime someone refers to “aircrafts”, they get at least 75% deducted from their credibility score.

And the merger with McDonald-Douglas sinks to an even lower low. The Boeing was the final hands on the door before delivery was an above the fold headline in today’s Seattle Times. Then the aftermarket Wi-Fi… better call Mr. Monk and Natalie.

Last edited:
I think Boeing is way over due to phase out the 737 series of aircraft with its short landing gear and awkward engine placement. Of course to remain competitive, Boeing should have started on a clean sheet design years ago. I think that Boeing has painted itself into a corner and its options for getting out are few. Bring back the 757 ... ?
Is this better??
boeing-truss-braced-wing-010919-640px_75813.jpg

From what I've read about Boeing/NASA's Truss-Braced wing concept, probably ... no. It's a hybrid, and that technology is still not ready for commercial service; mainly because the battery technology is still not up to the task. What Boeing needs, in my opinion, is a mature design that can be in production within this decade.

Back