Alaska Airlines explosive decompression 1/5/23

FWIW, here's a photo of a door being inspected at United Airlines, with an inset showing the same area where the failed door was.

WhatBroke.jpg

Sounds like there was a boatload of depress squawks recently (and getting worse). Things were getting pencil-whipped by Alaska.

Last edited:
AS just grounded all their Max 900s again. I’m guessing maybe they found something on one of their inspections?

I think that is due to the emergency AD the FAA just issued. It essentially grounds ALL such aircraft until inspection is complete. Issued yesterday.

In other words, AS didn't ground them, the FAA did.

Might be able to pick up some BA Stock at a discount come Tuesday....

I think that is due to the emergency AD the FAA just issued. It essentially grounds ALL such aircraft until inspection is complete. Issued yesterday.

Yeah I just talked to one of my buddies at AS, I guess there isn’t a fix for the AD yet, and they’re hoping that they can start to get some planes back in the air by the middle of next week….

AA and UA had already decided to ground before the FAA got around to it.

*clears throat*

Yee yee! Thy moral hazard, Ayy and Dee,
This time is Rules for thee, but not for me,
do 'member Eh-RAU always skips out Free,
much rather you pay this time...than Me!

-P.G. Hindsight

*(a drunken quatrain, copyright pending, available soon on paperback and audiobook) :rofl:

It seems the missing door has been located.

The article I read also said that two cell phones were recovered...one that still worked.

In other words, AS didn't ground them, the FAA did.

And Spirit Aerosystems stock as well!

It's tough for Boeing to issue a service bulletin until they know what happened. I mean knowing what caused the plug to disassemble from the fuselage.

It's tough for Boeing to issue a service bulletin until they know what happened. I mean knowing what caused the plug to disassemble from the fuselage.

I think that is the key, hard to know what the fix is until they know what the failure point was. Was it an engineering, manufacturing, or maintenance issue?

CVR was erased? I heard the excuse the CB wasn't pulled.

not AA, they don't have any max 900's theirs are all max 800's
There are no MAX 900s or MAX 800s.

The NG series is the 737-600. 737-700, 737-800, and 737-900.

The MAX series is the 737-7, 737-8, 737-9, and 737-10.

I think they are making more of this than what it is. I'm guessing this was an ETOPS 737 that could do long overwater flights. Due to a recurring warning, with the pressurization system, they took it off ETOPS temporarily.
That's normal. There are a lot of things that can remove an airplane from ETOPS operations, repeating write-ups included.

While the door could have had something to do with pressurization, it probably isn't likely.
If the plug was leaking enough air to generate the pressurization controller fail light it would have had to have been leaking a large volume of air which would have been heard by the passengers and flight attendants in the area. The light comes on when one pressurization controller fails and the system has switch to the alternate controller--there are two for redundancy.

There are no MAX 900s or MAX 800s.

The NG series is the 737-600. 737-700, 737-800, and 737-900.

The MAX series is the 737-7, 737-8, 737-9, and 737-10.

That's normal. There are a lot of things that can remove an airplane from ETOPS operations, repeating write-ups included.

If the plug was leaking enough air to generate the pressurization controller fail light it would have had to have been leaking a large volume of air which would have been heard by the passengers and flight attendants in the area. The light comes on when one pressurization controller fails and the system has switch to the alternate controller--there are two for redundancy.
What do you make of the latest report about loose bolts found on 5 united AC? If accurate, surprised they aren't safety wired and wonder why -900ng are not included in the inspections?

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

What do you make of the latest report about loose bolts found on 5 united AC? If accurate, surprised they aren't safety wired and wonder why -900ng are not included in the inspections?
There must be something different in the -900 system or they would have been included.

That's the wrong side....
I don't think the NTSB wants to show the back side of what failed, I am sure Boeing would like that front photo to be the only one around. I want to see a picture of the phone from the plane that fell 16,000 feet they found and still works.

Last edited:

supposed photo of loose bolts on the UA inspection.

I'm wondering, across the country, how many people have called to see if their insurance policy covers parts of an airplane falling on their house?

See Juan Browne's update on this.
He links to a video on utoob "The Boeing 737 Technical Channel" which provides a very detailed description of the plug door installation there.

A Portland, Oregon TV station has a report on the finding of the door plug and other objects that fell to the ground, and a good report on the event in general.

supposed photo of loose bolts on the UA inspection.

From that pic it looks like 3 fasteners haven’t been torqued at all, not even finger tight.

IMG_6546.jpeg

I looked back at the pics I posted earlier and it looks like you can see them in the lower right corner. They might also be similar in the lower left, but that corner isn’t in the picture.

IMG_6532.jpegIMG_6533.jpeg

These two pictures don't look like the component is of similar design.

Not claiming those pictures are real or accurate. Haven’t vetted the source at all (not that I really could). Just found it online while surfing and figured I’d share.

Back