Airplanes under 8gph?

If you're looking for a recently-built, certified, non-LSA plane, then I'd give another vote for the DA20 (or a throttled-back DA40 could probably do it too). The DA20 I used to fly would cruise along at 130ktas on about 5gph if I recall correctly. Probably a few knots faster if you firewalled the throttle. It's a shame the plane isn't IFR capable.

Up high, I'm fairly sure a DA40 could run 135 knots or so, LOP at about 8 GPH. Pull it back for 130 and it would for sure.

You can get a Cherokee/Warrior to fly at about 8gph at 105 knots all day long trimmed out in cruise, and they're good airplanes. Tons of parts and easy to maintain. Drop an electronic ignition (STC'ed ones available) in place of one of the magnetos and you'll do even better on both fuel economy and performance at altitude. Inexpensive to get into, great to fly and learn in, too.

+1
I typically throttle my Cherokee at 2350 and that gives me around 110 knots at 8 gph. I can throttle on up to 2500 for more speed but it seems like the fuel burn goes up exponientially compared to the speed gain so I usually keep it under 2400 rpm.

If you're looking for a recently-built, certified, non-LSA plane, then I'd give another vote for the DA20 (or a throttled-back DA40 could probably do it too). The DA20 I used to fly would cruise along at 130ktas on about 5gph if I recall correctly. Probably a few knots faster if you firewalled the throttle. It's a shame the plane isn't IFR capable.

Correction: not IFR legal -- big difference. :wink2::wink2:

130kts from a DA20? How?

The max I ever got it to was 115kts (maybe 120kts). That was a DA20-C1.

130kts from a DA20? How?

The max I ever got it to was 115kts (maybe 120kts). That was a DA20-C1.

Well, I don't have a ton of time in one and it was a while back, but I know it wasn't in the teens. That little plane can really move. Perhaps you had a tired engine in a beatup trainer? I mean, the POH even says 138kt I believe.

When you find any aircraft that will do the requested speed and fuel burn with normal power settings, note the useful load. it usually isn't much.

When you find any aircraft that will do the requested speed and fuel burn with normal power settings, note the useful load. it usually isn't much.

Useful loads is some RV's ...
RV-7 roughly 725 pounds ( holds 42 gallons)
RV-10 roughly 1,170 pounds ( holds 60 gallons)
RV-12 roughly 550 pounds ( holds 20 gallons)

Last edited:
Ercoupe 415 5gph

ercoupN998N.jpg

I am just curious what are some really efficient airplanes out there? Maybe something that does at least 110kts.

Pretty much anything with 150hp engine or less will burn 8 gph or less. You can burn less than 8 gph with a 180hp by pulling back to a lower % of power adn stil have the extra power when you need it on take off.

I doublt you will see 110 knots but 150 cessna, tomahawk and grumman all burn 5-6 gph with 108 hp, there are tail wheel plane swith 65 hp that has to burn about 4gph but probably flys about 60-80 mph.

Well, I don't have a ton of time in one and it was a while back, but I know it wasn't in the teens. That little plane can really move. Perhaps you had a tired engine in a beatup trainer? I mean, the POH even says 138kt I believe.

I actually flew two and they both were almost new, don't remember seeing anything in the high 20s.

Were you a full power and at sea level when you got 130?

Don't know what to tell you. Diamond usually doesn't lie about such things. Maybe I am forgetting something, I have 70 or 80 hours in it but it has been a while. :mad2:

Well, something like that will be at significant altitude. At least 7500, I would think. If you were not up that high, you would not see that kind of TAS.

Well, something like that will be at significant altitude. At least 7500, I would think. If you were not up that high, you would not see that kind of TAS.

I don't remember the altitudes.

I was just looking through some of the pictures from back then and remembered there were no wheel fairings. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't remember the altitudes.

I was just looking through some of the pictures from back then and remembered there were no wheel fairings. Sorry for the confusion.

Optional wheel fairings add 5% and all factory numbers below include them.

I am looking through the POH now because that 138kt @ 5.5 gph impressed the hell out of me but the POH does not support that number. Quite odd.

The closest is around 10k and is 125kt @ 6 gph. Still nice.

Alt.......RPM 20º C Below Standard 10º C Above

10,000 2800 64% 123 6.1 63% 125 6 61% 127 5.9

http://www.diamondaircraft.com/library/16/11/AFM%20Complete%20at%20Rev%2026%20(15%20May%2012).pdf

Optional wheel fairings add 5% and all factory numbers below include them.

I am looking through the POH now because that 138kt @ 5.5 gph impressed the hell out of me but the POH does not support that number. Quite odd.

The closest is around 10k and is 125kt @ 6 gph. Still nice.

Alt.......RPM 20º C Below Standard 10º C Above

10,000 2800 64% 123 6.1 63% 125 6 61% 127 5.9

http://www.diamondaircraft.com/library/16/11/AFM%20Complete%20at%20Rev%2026%20(15%20May%2012).pdf

Maybe 138 was a typo.

I'm seeing 130kts at 2K @ 2800RPM. With wheel fairings I can believe that.

Well it's only 8.6gal.

Looking at the numbers for standard temp, it is 83% 129 8.7 at 2k vs 63% 125 6 at 10k. You are burning 45% more fuel for a measly 4 knots or 3% more speed.

Looking at the numbers for standard temp, it is 83% 129 8.7 at 2k vs 63% 125 6 at 10k. You are burning 45% more fuel for a measly 4 knots or 3% more speed.

Yeah I never said that it's a good idea. I'm just trying to justify what Diamond said and find the closest number.

Yeah I never said that it's a good idea. I'm just trying to justify what Diamond said and find the closest number.

Seems like the website is put together by marketing guys and the POH by engineers. The website seems at least 10 kt off. Maybe the marketing guys figured that was a negligible exaggeration. LOL.

Pretty much anything with 150hp engine or less will burn 8 gph or less. You can burn less than 8 gph with a 180hp by pulling back to a lower % of power adn stil have the extra power when you need it on take off.

I doublt you will see 110 knots but 150 cessna, tomahawk and grumman all burn 5-6 gph with 108 hp, there are tail wheel plane swith 65 hp that has to burn about 4gph but probably flys about 60-80 mph.

Yep. At a conservative specific fuel consumption of 0.50 lb/bhp, that 8 gph will buy you 96 hp. That is about 180 hp @ 55%. Modern engines are getting into the 0.40 lb/bhp range and below.

N87PM is an M20J, same as David has, IIRC. Frankly I do not believe in 145 kts on 8 gph in it. M20C with 180 hp could do it, I suppose.

I owned a C....you need to burn 9+ to see 140 kts unless you have a bunch of speed mods.

With the aerodynamic cleanups of the J, I bet it will be pretty close to 140 at 8 GPH.

Good to hear. ..just bought one (and am selling a nice 150 )and am flying it from KIND to KLNK tomorrow once my airline trip is over...will be an easy commute home...can't wait

I suppose the 8 gph is going to depend on the cherokee. I learned in a Warriorr II and consistently got 8.5 gph at 100 kts with an O-320. Pushing it to 110 would get the burn up to about 10 gph. Then again, the engine in that airplane was designed in something like 1930...

110kts at 8gph isn't that much of a stretch for anything other than a Cessna 152/172.
My Cherokee 180 will do 110kts at 8gph (it runs 125kts at 10).

I suppose the 8 gph is going to depend on the cherokee. I learned in a Warriorr II and consistently got 8.5 gph at 100 kts with an O-320. Pushing it to 110 would get the burn up to about 10 gph. Then again, the engine in that airplane was designed in something like 1930...

How did you manage to burn 10gph with an O320? With a fuel leak?

I'm a little over your 8gph parameter, but a little over your 110kts also.

brianphonesep12094.jpg

Seems like the website is put together by marketing guys and the POH by engineers. The website seems at least 10 kt off. Maybe the marketing guys figured that was a negligible exaggeration. LOL.

I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that Diamond did such a thing. I'l hoping it's just a typo. :yes:

What type of aircraft is that?

RV-7 with a 360. She likes to run up high. Here's the GPS pic, I had a little tailwind up high coming home from the Great Northwest Air Race.

2012-06-16_20-46-01_412.jpg

Last edited:
how a bout a Wittman Tailwind, 150kt+ cruise, 6-8gph from what i remember of grandpas. good little airplane.

Steve Wittman used to do FL to Oshkosh non-stop in buttercup.

how a bout a Wittman Tailwind, 150kt+ cruise, 6-8gph from what i remember of grandpas. good little airplane.

Steve Wittman used to do FL to Oshkosh non-stop in buttercup.

The Wittman is indeed a great airplane, but it's looks has to grow on ya. ;)

Back