Airplanes under 8gph?

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
I am just curious what are some really efficient airplanes out there? Maybe something that does at least 110kts.

I am just curious what are some really efficient airplanes out there? Maybe something that does at least 110kts.

Jabirus can do 100-115 kts on 4-5.5 GPH depending on model. I've posted elsewhere here flying around at 1.6 GPH while joyriding in the Jabiru 170SP.

C150/152 with a tailwind? :D

I've gotten the airspeed indicator to exceed 110 kts in a C-152...

I eventually had to level out lest I collide with the ground. Also didn't like to see the RPM above redline for too long.

As to the OP - many of the sleeker LSAs can burn well under 8gph at 110kts+. (E.g. RV-12, Zenith CH-650, Arion Lightning, etc.)

FD CTLS and Remos GX can do 110 kts true on 4.5 gph when cruising at 8.5k/9.5k, assuming you set prop for cruise. These two I tried personally, as N505MA and N28GX. The problem is, N28GX was something like $135k in 2010 dollars. That's a lot of 100LL for your $18k Cherokee even when tooling around ROP without wheelpants.

If you do not limit yourself to factory airplanes, a Sonex could do 125 kts at 5 gph. And the good news, you can buy one for $30k.

Last edited:
C-170 /C-145/0-300

all day long with 4 aboard.

FD CTLS and Remos GX can do 110 kts true on 4.5 gph when cruising at 8.5k/9.5k, assuming you set prop for cruise. These two I tried personally, as N505MA and N28GX. The problem is, N28GX was something like $135k in 2010 dollars. That's a lot of 100LL for your $18k Cherokee even when tooling around ROP without wheelpants.

You could buy a pretty nice Mooney J model for $135k or less!

I still would like to log a few hours in a Remos GX though, it sounds good to me on paper atleast.

If you do not limit yourself to factory airplanes, a Sonex could do 125 kts at 5 gph. And the good news, you can buy one for $30k.

yes it is. I was just curious of what airplanes are out there. I was going to mention that all the airplanes with 8gph< are 100k> unfortunately. Other than a c150 and I don't think that makes a great XC airplane.

I do 160 ktas on 5 gph. My airplane cost $19k. It's a great cross-country airplane for one person. You can take a passenger but not with anything more than a small backpack for luggage, and the rear seat isn't comfy for more than a couple hours at a time.

You can get a Cherokee/Warrior to fly at about 8gph at 105 knots all day long trimmed out in cruise, and they're good airplanes. Tons of parts and easy to maintain. Drop an electronic ignition (STC'ed ones available) in place of one of the magnetos and you'll do even better on both fuel economy and performance at altitude. Inexpensive to get into, great to fly and learn in, too.

You can get a Cherokee/Warrior to fly at about 8gph at 105 knots all day long trimmed out in cruise, and they're good airplanes. Tons of parts and easy to maintain. Drop an electronic ignition (STC'ed ones available) in place of one of the magnetos and you'll do even better on both fuel economy and performance at altitude. Inexpensive to get into, great to fly and learn in, too.

Good to hear. ..just bought one (and am selling a nice 150 )and am flying it from KIND to KLNK tomorrow once my airline trip is over...will be an easy commute home...can't wait

Last edited:
Drop an electronic ignition (STC'ed ones available) in place of one of the magnetos and you'll do even better on both fuel economy and performance at altitude. Inexpensive to get into, great to fly and learn in, too.

Tell me more about these and how much they cost? Are there any that work with an IO-360?

Yea I actually have a 180 and yes you could pull back or get up high to 10K. I usually always use 10gph for planning purposes.

Tell me more about these and how much they cost? Are there any that work with an IO-360?

Electroair got them STC'ed a little while back for most Lycoming and Continental 4 cylinder engines.

http://electroair.net/stc_ignition_kit.html

Their Approved Model List (AML) is located here. (PDF file)

You can also buy them through Art Mattson (AMR&D), and when I checked with him, his price was pretty darned reasonable. He's a reseller for the Electroair ignitions. You can reach him through http://www.pipermods.com/

You'd normally replace one magneto (typically the right side, since it's not the impulse-coupled one). Good info on the Electroair site about the benefits, install, etc. The STC (PDF available here) allows you to replace one magneto. Replacing two mags means you need a backup battery, etc. and folks in the experimental category do that sometimes.

I have not yet installed one on my Warrior. It's on The List though, near the top!

Last edited:
Electroair got them STC'ed a little while back for most Lycoming and Continental 4 cylinder engines.

http://electroair.net/stc_ignition_kit.html

Their Approved Model List (AML) is located here. (PDF file)

You can also buy them through Art Mattson (AMR&D), and when I checked with him, his price was pretty darned reasonable. He's a reseller for the Electroair ignitions. You can reach him through http://www.pipermods.com/

You'd normally replace one magneto (typically the right side, since it's not the impulse-coupled one). Good info on the Electroair site about the benefits, install, etc. The STC (PDF available here) allows you to replace one magneto. Replacing two mags means you need a backup battery, etc. and folks in the experimental category do that sometimes.

I have not yet installed one on my Warrior. It's on The List though, near the top!

Experimental guys swear by them. I had one fail in flight ( not this brand) and it took me out of the air. Declared and emergency and made it to the nearest airport. I took it out and now run Slicks. I'll switch back when e-Mag releases their 6 cylinder version.

You run car spark plugs also. No more cleaning plugs. Just change them every 100 hours. Nice feature.

E-mags produce their own power, so if you run 2 no need for back up battery. I'm not convinced running two is a good idea. I like the reliability of a Slick and the fuel economy of the eMag.

http://www.emagair.com/Intro.htm

Last edited:
Diamond DA20.

If you're looking for a recently-built, certified, non-LSA plane, then I'd give another vote for the DA20 (or a throttled-back DA40 could probably do it too). The DA20 I used to fly would cruise along at 130ktas on about 5gph if I recall correctly. Probably a few knots faster if you firewalled the throttle. It's a shame the plane isn't IFR capable.

OP was looking for under 8 gph and at least 110 kts.

You won't get that performance out of a 170.

I based that on the 2 170s I restored. 2801C would run 125MPH at 2450 leaned and use 7-8 GPH

2623V would run 131 at the same settings and use nearly the same fuel.

I don't know if they all will, but I know those two would.

The Tencam Eaglet I fly gets about 110 knots on 4.5 GPH of mogas. It would probably do better higher up, but I haven't had the excuse to take it up more than 4000 ft or so.

A few weeks ago, I flew a 165 nm cross country in a Cessna 182Q with the fuel analyzer reading 6.1 GPH at 140 KTAS (something tells me it was wrong....).

Believe it or not, a cherokee 140 can come pretty close to that. At least mine could.

A few weeks ago, I flew a 165 nm cross country in a Cessna 182Q with the fuel analyzer reading 6.1 GPH at 140 KTAS (something tells me it was wrong....).

Throttle back to 110kt TAS and you won't be much over 8. I can get down into the 9-10 range at that speed, doesn't fit the mission but shows how easy the mission is.

Reality is there are MANY planes that will fit the perimeters defined by the OP, a well rigged 172 is on that list.

Reality is there are MANY planes that will fit the perimeters defined by the OP, a well rigged 172 is on that list.

Yup. I usually burn 8.5 or so in a 172 at 75% power, but crank that down to 70% and you're below 8 GPH. That still gets you over 110 KTAS even at 2000 feet on a standard day, at max gross and 2400 RPM.

Suprised nobody has mentioned the Grummans yet- Cheetah or Tiger?

What does the 150hp Cheetah burn per hour?

Or an AA-1 if only two seats are needed.

Any Mooney would do more than 110 knots pretty handily on 8gph.

What ya think.. maybe 145-150 ktas on 8gph? 900lb useful load. 64 gallon capacity

.watermarked_f7d3cb098d428fd7ed8c381919901d56.jpg

Last edited:
What ya think.. maybe 145-150 ktas on 8gph? 900lb useful load. 64 gallon capacity
N87PM is an M20J, same as David has, IIRC. Frankly I do not believe in 145 kts on 8 gph in it. M20C with 180 hp could do it, I suppose.

N87PM is an M20J, same as David has, IIRC. Frankly I do not believe in 145 kts on 8 gph in it. M20C with 180 hp could do it, I suppose.

I'm flying an M20J tomorrow night down to wilmington. I'll pull it back to 8gph and see what that gets. The number seems reasonable to me. The book lists 145kts at gross @ 8GPH (55%) and that is rich of peak. (8000-9000 feet, std temp)

Last edited:
110 kt on 8gph is really not much of a challenge. Make it 130 kt on 6 gph. Or 140 kt on 5gph.

Back