Airplane Noise Complaint

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
I’m lying in a hotel room in Positano, Italy and I have a complaint, there are no, I mean zero, ga airplanes flying overhead between here and Rome. I have been here a few days and not one airplane, except when I landed in Rome and those were all airliners. It really is kind of depressing, and honestly, I hope this never happens in the US.

It will. ADS B is the death blow.

I’m lying in a hotel room in Positano, Italy and I have a complaint, there are no, I mean zero, ga airplanes flying overhead between here and Rome. I have been here a few days and not one airplane, except when I landed in Rome and those were all airliners. It really is kind of depressing, and honestly, I hope this never happens in the US.

You're in Italy, worried about airplanes?! Man get out and eat some pasta, chase some Italian ladies, go visit the Ferrari factory. Airplanes. That's in America. ;)

Last edited:
When they finally get their user fees we’ll become the next Europe. In the meantime it hasn’t happened, so get out and fly!

According to Foreflight, Positano is within the "Rome FIR" Surface to 19,500'; "Naples CTR Zone 2" from 3,500' to 16,500'; "Rome CTA Zone 5 Campania" 16,500' - 19,500'; and "Rome UIR", 19,500' and above.

I'm sure it's all very simple. o_O

I thought we converted to a b c d e and G airspace to fit in with Europe and they've still got all those designations?

According to Foreflight, Positano is within the "Rome FIR" Surface to 19,500'; "Naples CTR Zone 2" from 3,500' to 16,500'; "Rome CTA Zone 5 Campania" 16,500' - 19,500'; and "Rome UIR", 19,500' and above.

Well, looking at my "Foglio 4 ROMA" chart from 2012, "Rome FIR" is a huge area, I would guess similar to an area covered by an approach (or maybe even a center). Naples is off to the south of the chart, so no help there. I'm going to "guess" the same for the other two areas. Positano isn't on the chart, so I'm guessing it is too far south of Rome. Let me tell you that the chart I have is a mess in the area around Rome. Fine print everywhere, stuff written on top of other information, it's practically unreadable.

Now, why do I have this chart? 4 of us (including a colleague who was a member of the local club) grabbed a C-172 back in 2012 and flew from Roma / Urbe to L'Aquila and back. The club member was also a professor at the university in L'Aquila. We saw the damage from the earthquake a few years earlier, landed, stopped for refreshments and flew back to Rome. I got some time flying from the right seat on the way up. Didn't log it as it was an I registered plane and I don't have an Italian certificate. Still, great fun (and EXPENSIVE). I forget what my 1/4 of the cost of the flight was, but it wasn't cheap. BTW, the four of us were from 4 different countries. Powered pilots represented the US, France and Italy and a glider pilot represented the UK (and was the glider instructor I flew with in the UK the year before). A truly international bunch.

DSC02521.JPG

I thought we converted to a b c d e and G airspace to fit in with Europe and they've still got all those designations?
So do we.

Ann Arbour, MI is a Class D Airport just below the shelf of KDET's Class B, within the Cleveland FIR which extends to 17,999 feet, above which is the Cleveland UIR.

FIR and UIR are not terms in common use within the US, but have significance for international ops and are shown in ForeFlight even fir US airports,

All airspace around the world is divided into Flight Information Regions (FIRs). Each FIR is managed by a controlling authority that has responsibility for ensuring that air traffic services are provided to aircraft flying within it. They are generally defined by international borders. The FAA has jurisdiction over US FIRs. Within a national boundary, some countries have one, others, like the US, many. They can be further subdivided into lower and upper (UIR) regions.

The US FIRs and UIRs are the Centers, with UIR referring to the airspace above 18,000 msl.

The international significance is (at least) twofold. It tells the pilot whose jurduction the aircraft is in and which airspace rules apply. Since the rules involving airspace classification are local in the sense that Class C may have different requirements in different countries, that can be important.

Don't the entries for the Naples and Rome CTAs refer to them as Class D airspace?

This ain't Canada, spell the name of the city correctly without getting supefluououououououuuuus with the u's.

Lack of appreciation for freedom over there sadly :(

Funny because Italy was basically the birth place of the float plane, lots of really cool history infact .

Last edited:

I know what you are saying. I think about this too, when I travel outside the country. We are truly blessed (Happy 4th, tomorrow).

Orville and Wilber probably said something along the lines of.... Make pilots get a license..??? That will kill our business..!!! :lol::lol::lol:
Orville and Wilber probably said something along the lines of.... Make pilots get a license..??? That will kill our business..!!! :lol::lol::lol:

It’s more like slowly boiling a frog to death.

Back