Airplane down at Addison (KADS)

One reason you take your hands off the thrust levers at V1 is so you are not tempted to abort. Two hands to rotate May be a factor, but I don’t need a second hand on the Bus side stick, and we still take hands off the levers.

All that said, I didn’t think a King Air had a “true V1”.
The 300-series does.

Pretty sure it does. At least in the version I have some familiarity with, it's the same airspeed as Vr.
For the 90s through the 200/250, V1 is published as a manufacturer (primarily marketing) number, but isn’t part of the certification requirements.

I don't put much credence into the ankle story. Multiple people would have been aware of that condition, not just one anonymous person.

It wasn't just one anonymous person. It was the anonymous guy, several other people, and the dude's medical records. Here's a few excerpts from various parts of the docket:

"In April 2019, the pilot visited an orthopedist regarding pain in his right ankle related to a dislocation injury which had required surgery many years previously... an X-ray demonstrated severe arthritis in the ankle joint."

"I knew the Pilot Howard Cassady well and began my career with his company Eagle air enterprises about 20 years ago. I last flew with him about 2 years ago.

I have it on good authority that he was suffering from a troublesome right ankle that caused him pain. I was told the doctor was recommending a fusion which Howard was refusing as it would have kept him from being able to apply toe brakes."

"Howard has problems with his right ankle that has been bothering him for years. Also, he had some narcolepsy; he would nod off in flight from time to time."

That’s mind boggling if that’s actually what took place. Among all else, it’s hard to imagine that a pilot wouldn’t notice a throttle lever creeping back far enough to cause a power reduction and not recognize it during emergency flows.

It sounds like it wasn't a "creep." They did some sound analysis on the CVR and did some research on a sound they thought was a throttle lever whacking the idle stop, but they said it couldn't be determined conclusively enough. There was also an interview with another King Air pilot that had flown a plane with an SB applied that involved an spring in the throttle control system where the lever "snapped" back to idle when the friction lock wasn't really tight, and they removed the spring after the fact. Oddly enough, I did not see anything specifically stating whether N534FF had that SB applied, though I didn't read through the whole maintenance part of the docket.

"During the conversation, Mr. Moore stated the following:

Mr. Moore is a King Air pilot for the state of Mississippi. About 4-5 years ago they had problems with the throttles levers staying in the proper position.

During the takeoff climb on one flight, they perceived that they had a right engine failure. They were able to control the airplane and go through procedures to maneuver back to the airport for landing. During the emergency procedures they established that the right engine had not lost power or failed, the right engine throttle was at idle. They were able to advance the throttle and restore power to that engine and landed without further incident.

They were unable to tighten the friction lock up enough to get the throttle levers to stay in place. He stated that one little bump was all that was required to snap the throttle back towards or to the idle position.

Mr. Moore stated that they went through the records and established that during the maintenance, a service bulletin regarding throttle cable slack had been complied with. This service bulletin called for a second 3” spring to be added on the back of the fuel control unit on the engine in order to address the throttle slack.

Further inspection established that this spring was “too strong” for the friction lock. The mechanic removed the spring and they have not had an issue with the throttle levers staying in place since."

That’s mind boggling if that’s actually what took place. Among all else, it’s hard to imagine that a pilot wouldn’t notice a throttle lever creeping back far enough to cause a power reduction and not recognize it during emergency flows.

He never made it to any kind of emergency flow.

Supposedly, the pilot, when he would go in for recurrent training, would tell the instructor that he was having trouble with his right ankle, and ask them to fail the right engine instead of the left (critical) engine. Every time... So, EVERY engine failure was ALWAYS a right engine failure, and the reaction was ALWAYS to apply LEFT RUDDER. And when an engine actually failed, he reverted to his training. :eek:
Um, ya mean nobody thought to just use both feet?

For the 90s through the 200/250, V1 is published as a manufacturer (primarily marketing) number, but isn’t part of the certification requirements.
I have no basis to argue with that. In my copy of the POH, the procedure for a failed engine after V1 is calls for the pilot to continue the take off. That is the extent of my knowledge.

Back