Airplane crashes into supermarket

I thought it was implied.

That's OK, we all know what happens when I ASSume things....

Especially when you know what I think is incongruent (there's that word again:rofl:) with your assumption. You may need a better Derby helmet. ;)

Especially when you know what I think is incongruent (there's that word again:rofl:) with your assumption. You may need a better Derby helmet. ;)

Thanks you just reminded me I need to sell all that stuff. Will help me buy new tires and it is just sitting there. They will last a lifetime though (the skates cost more than $500) so I may keep them. The other stuff, not so much.

Thanks you just reminded me I need to sell all that stuff. Will help me buy new tires and it is just sitting there. They will last a lifetime though (the skates cost more than $500) so I may keep them. The other stuff, not so much.

BTW, how on God's green Earth could you think I would come to the conclusion a Roller Derby Queen could be average...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The story said that two "victims" were treated at the scene.

What does that mean anyway? Their injuries were so minor there was no need to take them to a hospital, like when you burn your finger on a hot pot?

Does this mean all the times I have gotten a boo boo that I was a "victim"?

-John
I'd say if you got a boo boo burning your finger on a hot pot, you were the victum of your own stupidity.:D

May be a case where the pilot attempted "The Impossible Turn" back to the airport (after eng failure on T/O).

HeliPilot

Is there finger pointing over the EAB flown over populated areas when these accidents happen?

It says shortly after takeoff in that NTSB link so I'm guessing not in this case.

an experimental amateur-built amphibious Seawind 3000, N514KT...was substantially damaged[/QUOTE]

A postcrash fire destroyed the cockpit and consumed the airframe, with the exception of the outboard 8 feet of the right wing and small composite fragments. The outboard 56 inches of the right aileron and outboard 11-inches of the right flap remained attached. Both right wing fuel tank caps remained installed. The right elevator tip was located on the roof top. All three landing gear were located in the debris, as was the top portion of the vertical fin.

I oft wonder what it takes (in the FAA's opinion) to destroy an aircraft.

an experimental amateur-built amphibious Seawind 3000, N514KT...was substantially damaged[/QUOTE]

I oft wonder what it takes (in the FAA's opinion) to destroy an aircraft.

I have always thought the same thing.... The most glaring example was the Leeward P-51 that crashed at Reno last year... The plane was nothing but itty bitty pieces and the NTSB called it " substantially damaged" :mad2::nonod:

For some reason when I saw the title of this thread I was thinking of the Carvair that crashed into the Piggly Wiggly at 6A2.

Yet somehow they made it here from IL. That take-off did not look healthy - I'll repeat my statement from the date of the accident - powerplant/prop combo wasn't developing the rated power.
Look up KDED on google maps - they were departing 23 and cleared the treeline west of Brunswick Ln by less than a hundred feet. Publix store is the building west of the square pond.
They should have just aborted the take-off run. But they didn't. Furthermore, it seems the crew might have been unaware of the poor performance ("The passenger reported that there were no problems with the airplane’s takeoff roll and initial climb") and tried to initiate a crosswind turn while still hanging in there at high alpha.

Sad whichever way you put it.

- A pilot at DED

Lotta bad luck here! They're also sure taking their sweet time with this. A year and a half for the factual? I wonder if they'll ever get to probable cause. :dunno:

But yeah...

The broker was fatally injured in a Seawind 3000 accident that occurred in Sarasota, Florida, on January 12, 2013 (NTSB Accident Number – ERA13FA109).

engine that was installed on the accident airplane was previously installed on a Piper PA32RT-300, N2221G that was involved in a fatal accident on March 7, 1993, after it experienced a partial loss of engine power

Crazy.

Here is video of the roof of the Publix from Volusia County Air-One Helicopter:

http://youtu.be/W0EPi99DaWE

Go there. Click the first related video, which is from the same TV station but is video from the press conference with the NTSB IIC.

Notice how as soon as the investigator says that they're not going to speculate, they're going to find the facts, the video ends mid-sentence. :nonod:

"Facts? We don't want no stinkin' facts! Give us some juicy details!"

Ugh
I do believe Publix's insurance also had a case in court against the estate of the pilot operator of an uninsured aircraft. Material damages and rebuilding the store alone were somewhere around 1.5M

Lotta bad luck here! They're also sure taking their sweet time with this. A year and a half for the factual? I wonder if they'll ever get to probable cause. :dunno:

Chances are the probable cause is going to be voted on at the next board meeting. Often when it changes from prelim to factual, the probable cause is only a couple of weeks behind.

But yeah...

Crazy.

I wouldn't make too much out of that, the Big Bear crash happened in '93, the engine was overhauled in 2001 by a known shop. Now, according to the factual, there were some cylinders on the engine that didn't belong there, it'll be interesting to find out whether the OH shop installed them or whether they were installed when the seawind came out of hibernation.

But yeah...

Crazy.

Do you even know how the NTSB works? Do you even know how many investigators there are in each district?

What is the value of coming up with a "quick" final in the investigation?

I wouldn't make too much out of that, the Big Bear crash happened in '93, the engine was overhauled in 2001 by a known shop. Now, according to the factual, there were some cylinders on the engine that didn't belong there, it'll be interesting to find out whether the OH shop installed them or whether they were installed when the seawind came out of hibernation.

I wasn't saying that it was a cause, I was just saying that it seems to be a...

Cursed engine.

Do you even know how the NTSB works? Do you even know how many investigators there are in each district?

What is the value of coming up with a "quick" final in the investigation?

I have no comment on any of those questions - It's just been my observation that almost all probable causes come out about exactly a year after the crash. This one is going on a year and a half. That's all. No need to fight. :nono:

But yeah...

Crazy.

Even more so, the same engine (at least the half case with the data tag) was involved in another fatal crash in a turbo Lance/Saratoga.

Yep, looks like Charlie is getting sued.

Presbrey is a former president of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA)

Named as defendants in the suit filed today are the companies which designed and sold the Seawind 3000; the companies which designed, built and sold the aircraft’s engine, fuel injection system and fuel pump; the companies which completed a major overhaul of the aircraft in 2001; and the party who performed the pre-purchase inspection and certified the plane as airworthy in January 2012, and performed maintenance and service on it between January and April 2012.

Yet another reason my name and certificate numbers will not appear in any more logbooks.

Presbrey is a former president of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA)

Named as defendants in the suit filed today are the companies which designed and sold the Seawind 3000; the companies which designed, built and sold the aircraft’s engine, fuel injection system and fuel pump; the companies which completed a major overhaul of the aircraft in 2001; and the party who performed the pre-purchase inspection and certified the plane as airworthy in January 2012, and performed maintenance and service on it between January and April 2012.

Yet another reason my name and certificate numbers will not appear in any more logbooks.

Well, you're still at risk of being sued for every logbook it's already in! :nonod:

Back